Thursday, November 9, 2023

Azathoth's Dream Interview

 


 1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project? 

Azathoth's Dream is my, L.A., solo black metal project. It is part of the Order of the Broken Sword alongside Luring, Sigorsped, and others. Originally, this project started as the dungeon synth output from Luring instead of putting it under that banner, but then I wrote a black metal record that didn't make sense as a Luring release so I finished it myself and released it as Azathoth's Dream. Essentially, it's an output for the material created that is black metal, but isn't in line with the vision for Luring. 


2.In December you have your first full length coming out, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?

The musical style found on this release is a conglomeration of my various influences. It ranges from putrid dungeon synth to black metal. I think specifically it's in the northern European style. I'm heavily influenced by the Norwegian/Finnish/German black metal cults. While I thoroughly enjoy the less melodic US style of black metal, I find the mix of brutality and melody present in European Styles highly inspiring. 


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?

For the first record, I explored the world from the perspective of an ancient vampire/necromancer. I like the notion of the existing to destroy God and it's creation. The notion being that the worshipper of my enemy is my enemy and ought to be destroyed. While the notion of drinking blood and deriving strength and nourishment from those I hate (Humans/Christians) is appealing, it's the engrained hatred for the Christian god that I think is most powerful and artistically compelling aspect of Vampirism. So I suppose misanthropy, occultism, folklore, necromancy, and anti-Christianity are all strong themes found in the music. 


4.I know that the bands name came from the writings of H.P Lovecraft, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in his work? 

I have been a fan of H.P. Lovecraft since I was a young man. I think what's most interesting in his work is the engrained notion of how utterly insignificant any single human actually is when compared with the utterly terrifying scale of the universe and it's inhabitants. I like that he maintains a persistent curiosity about the unknown world and it's mysteries. I like that he has a healthy appreciation for science and is also happy to imagine the plethora of ways in which it falls short of describing the full breadth of existence, instead imagining the potential horrors that exist just outside of our perception. I think it's this willingness to consider a world beyond our explanation (and outside the hubris of the human condition) that has managed to keep my curiosity piqued for the past few decades. 


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

The artwork was created by artist Ainuliblis on Instagram and depicts a derelict castle in an forest. It's done the somewhat forgotten charcoal pencil style that adorned many of my favorite black metal records in the early days. I think it's the perfect sort of environment to imagine the stories contained in the songs on the record taking place. 


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

The drums are actually recorded by Necroblaster on this one, but I wrote and arranged everything and played all other instruments. I work with musicians I like, personally and as artists. This is the case with the Order of the Broken Sword, that is a collective of musicians I legitimately respect and enjoy creating with. I have no interest in working with people for any other reason than that. I am not joking about not wanting to be around other humans. It is the worst part of any day, and frankly many musicians have a tendency to be the absolute worst types of humans. For Azathoth's Dream I am working on putting together a live lineup of people who are interested in working to perform the songs I've written, but as far as accepting any kind of outside influence in the writing or recording of a new record, absolutely not. I wouldn't even consider entertaining the thought.


7.What part of the United States is the solo project located?

I am located in the Pennsylvania area. I would prefer to not be more specific than that.


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

The worldwide black metal scene is the only remaining legitimate vestige for outsider music. I think due in no small part to my being an outsider, other societal outsiders have little problem relating to the art I create. The reception has been overwhelmingly positive, and I am quite grateful to have been accepted  in this notoriously insular community. 


9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

To me, creating art and music is a compulsion. I have to do it. So, in the future I will continue to do it until I no longer can. As far as black metal is concerned, I intend to continue making it until I no longer feel like I have anything meaningful to offer. 


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have ha an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Well, If the question here is what has had an influence on my music I think certainly black metal should be an obvious touchpoint, though I'm sure anyone listening to my work will come away with the same understanding. Though, I do think that something that may make my work stand out from the masses of black metal currently being released is my understanding of and love for the earliest of what would go on to form what now know and understand as black metal like Masters Hammer, King Diamond, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost etc. I also adore Occult Rock from the 60s and 70s like Coven, Black Widow, Blue Oyster Cult, Death metal like Altarage or Portal as far as modern stuff goes, I also enjoy classic death metal which I'm sure everyone already knows a lot of, electronic/ambient and Industrial music like throbbing gristle or any of their numerous related projects, Hardcore punk like cult ritual or  Kriegshög, and really a plethora of other things. There's a lot of music out there to take the edge off of the hellscape we're forced to endure. 


11.How would you describe your views on Occultism and Vampirism?

I would consider myself an occultist and have had a deep fascination and desire to learn about it for as long as I can remember. This has resulted in quite a library of texts on the subject as well a great deal of time invested in the ritual side of the occult. I believe there is a great deal of lost, forgotten, or hidden knowledge lost to time and any of that I get to know and understand enriches my short time being sentient on this planet. Vampirism on the other hand is something I've been fascinated with since I was a child. I'm deeply fascinated by the folklore that generated vampire legends and cultures deeply affected by this. To my mind, the current use of vampirism is as a literary tool to demonstrate the righteous anger and hatred toward Christianity, especially if you exist in Europe or the United States. Essentially the centuries long war to distance people from the natural world and divorce them in their mind from their role in the planet. There is no greater crime in our history than this, and there should be no greater resistance than to the continuation of Christianity's modern world. 


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

Just one thought, in modern black metal there seems to be a creeping strain of thought that the real way to be evil is to be Christian. I think Christians would love you to think that. And I think if that is your view, you belong in a mass grave with the other Christians, unceremoniously turned into mulch to feed the plants reclaiming the earth you stole. Truly the only thing Christians are good for in any way. Fuck these people and let my hatred for them fuel my quest to burn their world to the ground in glorious black flames. 



No comments:

Post a Comment