Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Nimetön Hauta Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


Nimetön Hauta is my solo project and the only project I currently have. It's mostly classified as atmospheric black metal which is fairly accurate. The earliest guitar riffs are probably from 2020 or even earlier but I really got the project going in 2021. It had many names that somehow didn't feel right in the end. Nimetön Hauta was the name that finally felt right.



2.In October you had released and ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


It was pretty clear early on that I wanted to make something that is equally harsh and atmospheric. I didn't want to blur everything with waves of reverb but I wanted the soundscape to be somewhat airy. I pursued the feeling you get when you're standing somewhere staring at a beautiful landscape but it's too windy and cold to really appreciate it all. But you just decide to stand there, witnessing the moment.



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


Most songs deal with death and nature in one way or another. Inspired by the struggles of yesteryears. The main subject of the song "Metsänreuna" is war trauma and suicide. "Kun saapuu marras" is about poverty. All the lyrics will be included in the upcoming CD edition of the album for those interested in translating them.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nimetön Hauta'?


It translates to "nameless tomb" or "anonymous tomb". It kind of combines some of my favorite things: solitude, silence and death.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?


It's a nearby lake in my hometown. The photo is estimated to be from 1890's. I think it captures the atmosphere I wanted to convey with the record. Or maybe my music tries to capture the atmosphere of the photo. Pictures and photos generally help me when I'm working with sound. I think they are two sides of the same coin.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to work with any other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


Well, it's hard to schedule anything in this hectic world we live in. So many bands never get anything done because of this. By doing everything solo I can work whenever I have the time and motivation. I'm also highly introverted so working alone to me has been a natural choice. That also means performing live is out of the question. Of course I sometimes feel like I could use an extra pair of hands but this is the path I chose and wouldn't change a thing.


7.So far very little is known about the project except for the bandcamp and spotify pages, are you planning on expanding your presence in the future or do you prefer to keep a lower profile?


My personality is not really compatible with social media. I read a lot online and even like to read everyday stuff from people I know but I don't like to interact. I could have an account or profile somewhere for my music related stuff but I guess I'd rather stay in the shadows. I wouldn't have that much to update anyway. Bandcamp will probably stay as my only presence online.


8.The ep was released on 'Canti Eretici', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?


Max from Canti Eretici reached out right after I had released the EP on Bandcamp. It's a new Italian label with lots of good stuff already out and more coming. It's only cassettes for now. And nice looking ones may I add. 


The EP will also be released on CD in February or March 2023 by Adirondack Black Mass from New York. I'm really looking forward to that as well.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


I've received many nice words and many people have understood where I'm coming from with my music. All in all, the reception has been positive.


10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I'm constantly working on new songs right now, whether it's writing lyrics or whistling melodies at work and the next release will indeed be a full-length album. I can't yet say when it will be finished since I have just started but it will happen.


As a musician I will try and improve my skill set and continue my journey in the darker side of things. Instruments to me are like extensions to express deeper emotions, not tools to display technical prowess. That's a pretty way to say my skills are adequate and that's enough to do what I want to do.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I've had different phases in the past twenty years that all probably left a mark in me. First was 90's death metal, then funeral doom and post-rock. I was also into DSBM quite heavily. The only "phase" that never ended was second wave black metal. It all started when I first heard the album "Pentagram" by Gorgoroth.


I listen to a lot of different music from different genres to be honest, from late 60's Bob Dylan to contemporary electronic music. Most of it doesn't necessarily affect what I want to do with my music though. Bolt Thrower's "Those once loyal" is eternally in my playlist. About upcoming stuff, I'm eager to hear what the new Austere sounds like after the surprising comeback announcement. I was a huge fan back in the day. Also can't wait to hear the new Dødheimsgard. Their last album was fucking amazing beyond words.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 


It's been a rough couple of years. Hang in there. Thank you for the interview and thanks to all the supporters out there. I sincerely appreciate it.


Bandcamp
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment