Sunday, December 11, 2022

Skála Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


I used to be in Infera Bruo and when that band went on hiatus, I had all these leftover riffs that I knew would be of no use in that band.  I decided to make it into a COVID project of sorts and it just snowballed from there. 


2.Recently you have released a new album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


It’s a continuation of what I explored in Encrimson’d.  I actually wanted to try and rope some of those guys into this and initially they were all about it.  But they have families now with little time to spare, so that fell through.  The style is a folkish black metal with some darker stuff mixed in and some heavy metal sections for good measure. 


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?


This whole project is all about the people and places that were near and dear to me growing up. (Minus the title track, I left that for Karl the vocalist.) The rest of the songs are mostly memories of my deceased grandmother, brother, dog and old friends.  

 

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Skala'?


Skála is a place in the Czech Republic near our old cottage where we would go mushroom hunting.  It actually translates into “rock.”  You’d have to climb up a giant hill of winding roads through fields and up there would be a mysterious maze of things to get lost in.  I have a hard time talking about it, just because it is a special place where we’d run around and just be free.  No other place will ever feel that safe partially because it is intertwined with my dreams.  I have vague memories of greatness about that place.  


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album?


My father took those pictures when he was there last summer.  There is a picture of Skála on the inside of the booklet too.  I actually wanted it to be on the front, but that picture of the hill leading up to the forest just turned out so nicely.


6.Are there any plans for live shows or is this strictly a studio project?


This was meant to be strictly a studio project, but I can’t really rule anything out.  


7.Other than the main members past involvements in other bands very little is known about the band or project, are you planning on expanding your presence in the future or do you prefer to keep a lower profile?


That is a question I don’t think I can answer at this point.  If something comes along that I can’t say no to, that would change my plans. 


8.The new album was released on 'Eternal Death', how did you get in contact with this label?


I honestly do not even remember sending anything to them.  I was blasting out emails to this list of labels and they were the only ones who responded to my message positively.  I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not, ha.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


I’m not really sure to be honest.  The album was premiered on BM Promotions on Youtube, and it seemed to please lots of people from all over the globe. 



10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


I’m toying with different riffs and styles at the moment and nothing is really sitting well.  I may just have to be a one and done unless I get inspired down the road.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


Back in the day it was the giants of the second wave like Satyricon, Mayhem, Ulver and Emperor.  These days there are too many to name.  Suffice it to say, that during the time I was writing that record I had really no major influences.  But that doesn’t mean that something did not sneak in there.



12.Bewfore we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thanks so much for the interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment