Sunday, December 18, 2022

Kalliste Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

1. Kalliste is a one-man Depressive Suicidal Black Metal project that explores the deep sadness and truth that is in this world. I have an EP entitled "No Happy Endings" and a split entitled "Kalliste / Weep" under my belt and I have a new full-length album in the works.


2.So far you have released an ep and a split, musically how do they both differ from each other?

2. In my first EP I was first trying to figure out what kind of sound I wanted and I worried less about the sound quality. I tried to create a very melancholic and sad atmosphere while still having a ripping raw tone. in the split I did my best to get a clearer sound while still having that same ripping sound and I think I accomplished exactly what I wanted to do. 


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?

3. Although Kalliste is a one-man project, one of my close friends writes very depressing poems that he has allowed me to use as lyrics. Special thanks to R.J.  In his poems he talks about solitude and heartbreak. He crafts the words in an amazing way and they fit perfectly with my music. 


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Kalliste'?

4. There is no true meaning behind the name Kalliste. I used to have a DSBM project that fell under the same name but was never released publicly so I finally accomplished what I was trying to do originally.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that was presented on the first ep cover?


5. The art on my first EP is a great representation of rejection and seclusion. After I had written the EP and was looking for art, I knew as soon as I saw that piece that it would fit the music and lyrics perfectly. 



6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

6. I find that it is much easier to work solo. I'm very open to having features and/or guest solos, really anything along those lines, but when it comes down to truly writing and recording I prefer to do it alone. The process works much smoother and much faster in my own personal opinion. 


7.So far very little is known about the project, are you planning on expanding your presence in the future or do you prefer to keep a lower profile?

7. When I was going into the desolate scene depressive suicidal black metal, I knew that I would forever be in the deep, deep underground. I'm fine with the spot I am in, I've met plenty of very nice people and the small community I'm a part of is great.


8.Recently you where a part of a split with 'weep', what are your thoughts on the other project that had participated on the recording?

8. Weep is absolutely amazing! The two tracks that they contributed to the split work very well with my two tracks and they give the split a nice change of pace. I've been listening to their two tracks non-stop. The guitar work stands out a lot to me and I think that any fan of DSBM needs to check out Weep.


9.The split was released by 'Liminal Dread Productions', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

9. Liminal Dread Productions is a metal and punk label. Out of all of the labels I've ever worked with, Liminal Dread Productions has been the most professional and hard working. The amount of effort that the guys who run this label put in is truly astonishing and I know it will pay off for them in the future.


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of depressive black metal?

10. Out of all of the reviews, posts, and personal messages I've had about my releases, I have not had a single bad response! There have been some very nice people who have said very nice things, promoted my music, bought my digital music/physical media and it's a surreal feeling. 


11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as musician during the future?

11. A full-length is coming in 2023. I'm already in the process of writing and recording it. More information on that will be coming when I get more done and can have an estimate on the time and date. I know that I will 100% be continuing writing and releasing music in the future. I have a total of nine other active projects right now. (Daedric Chamber, Pissrot, Misty Keep, Mighty Alchemist, Necromancing Majesty, Snitz, Roachwhore, Siegetower, Wizardkeep) As with Kalliste, I'll have to see the fan response to the album to see if I should continue.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

12. The band None has been a huge influence on me. Other mentions would be Lifelover, Xasthur, Sadness, and My Useless Life. As for my current listens, the new Stabbing album "Extirpated Mortal Process" has been on repeat. Also a raw black metal EP called "Grief Garden" by Grief Garden has also been playing nonstop. Both releases are great.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

13. I hope everyone is doing well and much love to anyone who has ever supported me or any of my projects!

https://liminaldreadproductions.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment