Thursday, December 22, 2022

Nostalghia Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the solo project these days?

I’m currently taking a break. Since I finished working on Wounds, and after finishing four albums in the span of one year, I’ve been forcing myself to rest in order to avoid burnout. I say “forcing myself” because I don’t really enjoy it, but I know it’s for the best. 

I do have a special surprise planned to be released in a couple weeks, though. 


2.Your last full length came out in October, musically how do you feel it differs from your previous releases?

Mainly, I believe Wounds is a more eclectic album than my previous efforts, and it’s also the most progressive. The production is also way more polished and balanced. 


3.Since 2020 you have released 6 albums, are you still planning on releasing more than one album a year with the Covid pandemic dying down and the world returning back to normal?

I am a very homely person, so things don’t really change much for me whether there is a pandemic or not. For 2023 I’m planning on releasing at least three new albums, but I hope to release four by the end of the year. Nostalghia’s 10th album is already intended to be released in December next year. I’ve already calculated my workflow and cooked all of my ideas, so I guess it should all go fine. 


4.A lot of your lyrics are based upon poems, can you tell us a little bit more about the lesser known poets you have covered lyrically so far?

I guess I could speak about three of them: Nezahualcóyotl was an Aztec poet whose poetry I used for my song Sólo un poco aquí. I’ve always admired his deceivingly simple appreciation of nature, life and death. Manuel Gutiérrez Nájera was a Mexican poet whose poem Para entonces I used for Shroud of Flowers, though I did adapt the poem to English. That poem in particular has a special place in my mind, since I deeply reflect on the desire to have a peaceful, dreamlike death. Finally, Alejandro H. Monarres is a Slovenian-Mexican poet and a friend, who very kindly gifted me one of his poems for the song Contemplación fúnebre. He’s also going to collaborate on Nostalghia’s next album, The Last Path.


5.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?

Every one of my albums has a different concept, but there are certainly common ideas. Mainly, I like to speak about what worries me: the passing of time, the duality of life and death, change, my relationship with nature and other people, regret, grief, and even the philosophical consideration of suicide. 


6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nostalghia'?

The word is the title of a movie by one of my favourite filmmakers: Andrei Tarkovsky. It’s a Russian word, or at least the transliteration of it. Cinema in general has been one major influence in writing my music, but the contemplative and pensive approach of Tarkovsky has been one of the most important sources of inspiration. I chose this word so as to pay a sort of homage, but also because the feeling of nostalgia is a recurrent motif in my songs and I try to convey that emotion through the music itself. 


7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the current album cover?

The cover for Wounds is the painting Death the Bride by Thomas Cooper Gotch. “Death and the Maiden” was a very common motif in Renaissance art in which death, often represented as a male figure or a skeleton, seduces a female figure symbolizing life and youth. Classically, both engage in dances, they embrace or escape together. However, the painting by Thomas Cooper Gotch is a twist on this motif: here, life and death are presented as single unity rather than separate entities –life and death are “married” for eternity, hence the figure in the painting is wearing a black veil. She is also surrounded by poppy flowers, which are traditionally used to symbolize death and danger. On a side note: Amapola is the name of the album’s interlude track, which is Spanish for poppy flower. 


8.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

I like working by myself because I can progress at my own pace. Nonetheless, I am open to working with other musicians, as I already have in the last three albums, featuring solos by multi-instrumentalist and friend Valeria Dávila. It’s always a pleasure to find people who understand one’s vision. 


9.The last couple of albums were released on 'Flowing Downward', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

It’s an Italian label which contacted me just prior to the release of Au milieu de l’hiver. We might continue to release physical material in the next year, and overall it’s all been a very pleasant experience. Honestly, I just hope they can keep up with the pace of my releases!


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

I’m not sure most people who enjoy my music are “fans of black metal”, since the music I make merges many different genres and approaches. But overall, I think the reception has been positive… more than I ever expected, to be honest. 


11.Can you tell us a little bit more about some of the other bands or musical projects that you are a part of?

Before I started working on Nostalghia “full time”, I also worked on several other personal projects. I recorded music under different names since the styles were so diverse: industrial, post-punk, noise pop, avant-garde jazz, math rock, progressive metal, ambient, trip-hop… The list goes on. I was releasing about three or four albums a year, too. But then Nostalghia had some unexpected moderate success, so I continued to find the inspiration for more albums. I expect to continue to work on other projects as soon as I have the time.  


12.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

I hope to make a living off my music one day. Honestly, that’s all I expect: to do nothing but work on my music every day. There’s a long way to go, it seems, but I do hope to reach this point any time soon. 


13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that you are currently listening to nowadays?

Nowadays I’ve been listening to plenty of pop music. Lately I’ve enjoyed some releases by Taylor Swift, The Weeknd, Jessie Ware, Beach House and Fiona Apple. I’ve also been exploring the revival of “dissonant” metal, such as Ad Nauseam and Imperial Triumphant.  


14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Everyone: take care of your physical, mental and emotional health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment