Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Waste Of Life Interview


1. Can you tell us a little about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
Well, Waste of Life was started because I used to have a solo project called Brennuvarg, which played Pagan Black Metal, and I became more interested in Depressive Metal, and became Atheist. Brennuvarg was ended, and Waste of Life became my focus, among a few other solo projects.
Waste is a solo project, and will be forever. It is suicidal music for suicidal people. For me, it's therapy, as well as a general "fuck you" to humanity.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
I would describe it as...I don't know...Suicidal Black Metal influenced by bands such as Nyktalgia, Happy Days, Black Hate, and Thy Light, among others. Other influences of mine are personal, and lie outside of music, such as certain parts of my past that I don't want to discuss.

3. What is the meaning behind the bands name?
I chose Waste of Life as this projects name because it is how I feel about not only myself, but a general majority of humanity, and anyone who is serious about the Suicidal Black Metal scene either wants to, or already has killed themselves, so obviously, they too feel they are wastes of life. I just believe it's a name that suits the music style and message perfectly.

4. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?
Suicidal, depressive, and hateful.

5. Do you have any other projects besides this band?
Yes, many, so get ready for a long list.
Necrovomit- Raw black metal
Infernal Horde- Raw black metal
Upon Ice Rivers- Naturistic black metal
Gorefucked- Death metal
Final Solitude- Ambient/electronic
And two others that are now dead, Brennuvarg, and Berg der Verwustung.

6. On your myspace page, you put BMWA behind your band's name, how would you describe the support that they have given to the project so far?
I am good friends with the guy who runs the Illinois Chapter, Suedomza, and he has put me on his label to help me release my material easier. Normally I just print a limited amount of copies and have a tough time getting rid of them. So, I greatly appreciate his help. I also like the ideals behind the BMWA and support it, it's great to see the underground is getting connected, even if it's through stupid social networking sites...

7. What kind of equipment do you use to get that dark sound that you have in your music?
Recently, it's been a simple set up. A keyboard where I program my drums and synth, a guitar, and a mic, and record it live onto a cassette. I used to record multi track on garage band, but my computer crashed, so I'm stuck in the stone age, so to speak.
For example, the song on my page, "In a Better Place..." was recorded on multi track, with acoustic drums, instead of programmed ones, and multi tracked guitars and vocals, done on my computer.

8. How has your music been received so far by ambient/black metal fans worldwise?
I'm not exactly branched out like I'd like to be, but one of the guys behind Black Hate in Mexico has complimented me, as well as Vrangsinn from Carpathian Forest. Waste of Life isn't anywhere near what Brennuvarg was, but I don't go out of my way too much to promote my projects. I don't want the wrong people getting into my art.

9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and what are you listening to nowadays?
I listen to a wide variety of music, from Lamb of God to Burzum, as well as classical music.
However, the bands that really influence me black metal wise are the obvious Norwegian bands, but also more unknown music, like Thy Light, Trist, Black Hate, Happy Days, Nyktalgia, Sterbend, When Mine Eyes Blacken, and Exiled from Light.

10. Does Occultism or Satanism play any role in the music?
Absolutely not. I am not religious, in any way.

11. What are some of your interests outside of music?
I don't really have any to be honest.

12. Any final words or thoughts?
Listen to Waste of Life, and check the page for my other solo projects.
Thank you for the interview, have a good one.
-Atrabilious

Facebook
Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment