Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Ars Manifestia Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the solo project since the recording and release of the new album? 

In 2019 i moved back to my home town where my studio is located, I took 2 years off from job and everything else and basically I have recorded all the music that I have composed since then. So the first album I recorded has been “ divora I figli “ then this new album “ il mattino della follia “ . 

2.Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past? 

The new album is definitely the softest I have made since now, for me nothing really changed, it is Ars manifestia at its best but the rhythm slowed down, there are many clean guitars and there are some musical solutions that I have never tried before. The sound is very natural as well, I wanted a more live feeling this time. 

3.A lot of your older albums showed more of a straight forward black metal style while the newer music is more avant garde sounding, can you tell us a little bit more about going into this direction?

 You are right in your description, the music came out naturally as always , I never plan how a new album will sound, I just sit with the guitar and realize later what actually happened, it is probably the sums of my musical influences that during the years became wider. 

4.The project has been around since 1999 but so far there has only been 5 full lengths, can you tell us a little bit more about the long wait in between releases? 

Basically the problem has been founding the right time to record, at the beginning Ars manifestia was a real band and I used to play only guitar but I was never satisfied with the other musicians so I started to play everything by myself, this process took time while I was continuing writing new music, so at the end I am always a few years late when I release an album compered to when I actually wrote it. 

 5.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you explore with the newer music and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?

 When I started to write the lyrics for my first album I was probably 13 years old, so they definitely represent that age. Growing up also the lyrics became more mature, it is basically like the music i just sit there and start to write my thought, focusing on the darkest side of myself. In this last work I focus on the moment while you are understand that your are loosing your mind, everything that I write is very personal and connected to something inside of me. 

6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ars Manifestia'? 

When I was looking for a good name for the band I was never really happy, then one day I realized that the perfect name for my music was actually the title of the opening song of the Kvist album, since I am huge fan of that album it is also a tribute to that band.

 7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

 The artwork is a painting done by a friend of mine, I gave her the music and she came up with image, I liked it and liked the idea to have a painting done only for my band.

 8.With this project you record everything by yourself but have played with a full line up in a previous band, do you prefer to work solo? 

As I mentioned before I used to play with other people and I yes I liked it, but it is very difficult to find the right people with good skills and Also a proper devotion to the music. So I ended up by myself which is great cos I can just do whatever I want anytime. Also is a great feeling when you manage to do everything by yourself, at same time you can only blame yourself when things doesn't come out properly. 

 9.The project started out in Italy but you currently reside in Norway, can you tell us a little bit more about the move? 

I moved to London in 2006, then to Norway in 2007, the reason was my will for new experiences outside of Italy and Norway is a great place if you are looking for wild nature, anyway in 2019 I moved back to my hometown in Italy. 

10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your newer music by fans of black metal?

 This is difficult to say cos the album just came out few days ago, so I will have to see, generally the people that listened to the album got good feelings. 

11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future? 

This is really hard to say, I have already recorded 2 new albums actually, the sixth will be a return to harder sounds but with little prog feeling, it will be in some ways the maximum expression of Ars manifestia, at least in regards with black metal, the seventh album will be very unusual for the band, no clean guitars, no long arrangements, just pure black metal at is rawest version and this is the best way to do something different at this point. I can also add that I have lately composed a new album and that will be a semi-acoustic work, definitely the biggest step outside of black metal but this will not mean a less dark work. 

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that you are currently listening to nowadays? 

Lately I did like bands like tryptikon, whoredom rife, manes, mork gryning, leviathan. Regarding musical styles I go from brutal death like hate eternal to Coldplay early works, goa music such as hallucinogen to end up with classical music. 

 13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

 I would like to thank you for the interview. I wish a great journey to all the people that will listen to new album.

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment