Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Asunder Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


Asunder was a band I created 4 years ago to express the fucked up side of myself. I was dealing with a lot of mental health issues at the time and this project has honestly saved my life. I don't know what to say because the whole process was one big headache and full of mental breakdowns. I'm just glad it's out there and I got all that crap off my chest.

 

2.In December you had released your first full length, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


Well basically it's a single track that's 50 minutes long. It was originally a concept album, but over time I started leaning more towards the idea of a single long composition. Soundwise I used all the bits and pieces of metal that I really enjoyed, most of these were thrash, black, and doom metal bands. I didn't try to copy anybody or take too much influence from any band because I wanted this album to be as authentic as possible to my own capabilities and vision as a musician.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


Basically just everything that's ever happened to me. I talked about my childhood abuse, drug addiction, mental health, and personality disorders that I struggle with. Writing has always been therapeutic for me, so the lyrics and the poems I've included with the digital album were really just me being a little bitch and crying about how much I've been hurt.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Asunder'?


At the time I believed I had multiple personalities living inside myself. The name is basically describing my mental state at the time, feeling torn apart and not knowing who I was.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


I wish, but it's AI and I only bought it off a website because it was cheap and looked cool. All I can say is when I saw that piece of art, it resonated deeply in me and I knew I had to have it as my album cover.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


Definitely, I am already in the process of putting together a new band and leaving this chapter of my life behind. It was very painful working by myself because when I got lost in the creative process I had no one to tell me to stop or bounce ideas off of, and when you're so fucked up already sometimes the advice you give yourself ends up sabotaging the project.


7.So far very little is known about the project, are you planning on expanding your presence in the future or do you prefer to keep a lower profile?


Maybe release some merch for fun but no I very much prefer to keep a low profile. With everything I've expressed through this project I very much prefer to keep my identity hidden.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


Maybe for promotional purposes just to get the music out there but I'm very hesitant bringing other people into this project. Not much interest from labels so far and probably for the better.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of depressive black metal?


The few people who have actually reached out to me have been very positive, but again this project has been very obscure so maybe I'll have an answer for that once I actually hear more opinions.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as musician during the future?


Lately I've been turning more towards a gothic/alternative sound. Instead of writing music about my problems these days my songs and lyrics have turned more outwards. These days I write more about the people and events happening around me, some introspective songs as I am slowly healing. The music is also a lot more energetic and melodic but I've still kept the dark energy.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


Bands like Agalloch, Alcest, Forgotten Woods, Burzum, Krohm, Dissection, Leviathan really changed my mind about metal music and music as a whole. They opened my ears to new sounds and energies that I haven't felt beforehand. I stumbled into that style of black metal. These days I'm listening to a lot of rock music. Bands like Motorhead, My Chemical Romance, Guns n Roses, Rammstein, Deftones shape most of my playlists at the moment.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thank you for taking the time to review and reach out to me. All the best to your magazine and I hope it reaches more black metal fans everyday. 



https://asunderbm.bandcamp.com/album/the-loss-of-innocence

No comments:

Post a Comment