Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Saint Vermin Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


For those who have never heard of Saint Vermin, it is a one man black metal band originating from Malta. It is considered my main solo band which is highly influenced by the traditional black metal bands. It started off with poorly recorded tracks on YouTube, which afterwards took a step forward with song writing and production in order to produce the EP “Together As None”.


2.Recently you have released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


On the 24th of January, the 6-track EP “Together As None” was released. Many listeners have come to many conclusions on the musical approach of it. The style I tried to go for this EP was that of extreme metal with mainly black metal influences, some of them being the early first wave of black metal bands (Bathory and Venom mainly!) and the infamous second wave of black metal bands (Immortal, Burzum, Darkthrone). Some tracks also have the influence of the rather modern sound of black metal, with bands such as MGLA and Watain. Each track from the album has its own traits, with some being fast and some being slow and melodic, I tried to balance out what I wanted to write. I did not really want to stick to a strict formula of black metal (fast riffs, distorted vocals, high pitched screaming, tremolo picking) but rather wanted to write the sort of black metal which stands out.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


The lyrical topics in the songs all have a different meaning to them. Some go to an extreme level (Against God, Plague of Suicide) and other tracks take it into an emotional level (The Cosmic Eye, Together as None). Going back to the previous answer about trying to stand out and not follow a strict formula, the same applies to the lyrics. I tried to differ the stereotypical lyrics about Occultism and Satanism. Satanism was never really a topic I wanted to include in the lyrics, because in theory Satanism is a beautiful religion and I always wanted to keep lyrical themes dark and at an emotional level. So I took a step to deal with realistic topics such as:

• The lack of appreciation us humans have to nature.

• The vastness and beauty yet terrifying of the universe

• Suicide

• Anger targeted towards religion.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Saint Vermin'?


The meaning behind the name “Saint Vermin” goes back to many years ago when I was trying to find a nickname for myself. It’s quite a funny story actually, because I chose “Vermin” after playing a video game where you fight a giant as a tiny character. The giant keeps taunting the small character as “Vermin”, and it stuck with me. “Saint” was then added when I was taking a more serious musical approach. The name was also chosen because the country where I am from, Roman Catholicism is a tradition. Everyone is born baptised under the church, but the ironic thing is that the same people grow up to thank the saints and people who they think are saints, rather than God himself. So in other words, the “saints” that these people worship are “vermin”.

It's also very interesting to witness the reaction to your name coming from a group of old people.



5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?


The artwork takes a rather traditional approach to the black metal genre, with black and white filters added to a picture of myself in front of a black curtain I have in my room. I took the picture with my phone a few months prior to recording the EP. With all honesty, I did not actually think that the photo would end up being the cover of the EP, But after thinking it through, it does match the tracks and style.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


“Together As None” was recorded completely by myself. I am actually open to work with other musicians, considering I play in two death metal bands. Saint Vermin is a solo project because I feel like it is what I want it to be, so I am free to do anything. It is also very comfortable for me because I grew up listening to black metal so it is a genre I am way too familiar with. But I do have something up my sleeve regarding other musicians taking part in Saint Vermin…


7.The ep was released on 'Pesttanz Klangschmiede', how did you get get in contact with this label?


I got in contact with this label with the help of my good friend and manager Hellcommander Vargblod (Myronath, Ragnarok, Dodskold, Draugûl ). He had suggested this label because he had previously released albums from Dodskold and Draugûl under the same label. After doing my research and looking at all the incredible bands they worked with, I felt that I had to get in touch with Pesttanz Klangschmiede.

 .


 8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?



On a worldwide level, the reaction was incredible! I had accomplished something I only dreamt of when I was younger. Many listeners where amazed and that was the biggest reward I could have ever asked for. Listeners who are familiar with the black metal genre were actually impressed with the music, and I could not be more happier




9.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


A full length is indeed on its way! This might take some time of course, maybe a year, maybe two, who knows! The songs are already being worked on and there also seems to be a maturity in the song writing which is something I was willing to achieve. Improving as a musician is something crucial and living through the process is part of the experience. I do hope that in the future I can stay appreciated and musically mature, find more artists and inspiration, and hopefully learn to master my own music.


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


 The styles that have had a big influence on me are mainly black metal, death metal and even progressive metal. Some bands in mind would be Mayhem, Burzum, Immortal, MGLA, Opeth, Dissection, Bathory, Myronath, Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth.


https://www.facebook.com/saintverminblackmetal/
https://www.instagram.com/saintverminblackmetal/
https://www.youtube.com/@verminsaint5706


No comments:

Post a Comment