Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Moonthoth Interview

 


  1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the solo project since the recording of the new album?


Generally, I was waiting for the album release. The whole release process has been delayed. "Uroczysko" was ready in July and I've been really pisted off becouse of delays. But in the meantime I had done an EP with 5 songs. The songs were made mostly  during  the "Zmora" and "Uroczysko" recording sessions. Except the one bonus version these songs were never released. They aren't one hundred percent new so I would like to release them only as a digital version. I also started to compose brand new material.


2.In February you have a new album coming out, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


I think that album is more symphonic than previous ones. I've taken some traditional Slavic sounds and synths that sounds "slavonic" to underline the main concept behind the album. Whole music is slower and heavier. Also the main difference is the fact that I've cooperated with a vocalist, and some guest musicians. So it is an "extended solo project".


3.Your lyrics cover Slavic Mythology and Demonology, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?


I studied history, and mythology and history of religion were my favorite topics. The main concept behind Moonthoth project generally is based on mythology, occultism, eschatology and history of religion. At the beginning I was using some Sumerian and Egyptian themes, so English lyrics were more accurate.

Now  I like  to use some  Slavic mythology and demonology themes, because  these topics are underrated, also in the Polish education system. The same motivation is hidden behind my Polish lyrics. Lyrics in English might be more understable, but they would not provide the proper atmosphere. Also my favorite book is the Witcher, which is inspired by Slavic demons and myths.So I like these topics very much.



4.You have gone through a few name changes, what was the cause of the changes and also the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Moonthoth'?


I've started  with the name Nigra Missa (black mass in latin) as a regular band, not a solo project. When Nigra Missa broke up, I decided to start a solo project. Name change was an obvious step for me.

Moonthoth is a wordplay, combination of moon and Thoth who is Egyptian lunar deity and  also the first month in the Egyptian calendar. At first I used an older translation of Thoth's name, which was Thot.

The project was shut down after "Dark requiem of Twilight" recording, because of some typical life cycles. I put down my guitar for about 10 years, and I haven't made any music since then.

After reactivation of the project in 2019 I had spread "Dark requiem..." in remixed version through the internet. It appears that "thot" is some kind of slang word that definitely doesn't fit black metal and project concept. I thought about the project name change but finally I decided to add "h" at the end, to make sure that it is interpreted as a lunar deity.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album?


The artwork is hand drawn by Paulina Przybylska. She also drew the artwork for my last album "Zmora". Every song on "Uroczysko" has its own drawing, which illustrates the lyrics.

Some of these drawings represent  real places and landscapes.


6.With a few exceptions you record most of the music by yourself but also have experience playing with a full line up in another band, do you prefer to work solo?


It depends. Working solo is good for artistic expression. I don't have to make any compromises. But it is also bad because you don't have a different perspective to your music, and you sometimes think that this is great, but it is a shit instead.

In a band there is a higher chance to construct criticism. I'm seriously thinking about evolving Moonthoth to a regular  band.


7.You also had a few quests on the new album, can you tell us a little bit more about how they are and also their contributions to the recording?


First of all, I started to cooperate with a session vocalist Mateusz Sibila. All men's vocals on this album are made by him.

I also invited Kiriake from Zgroza to sing on "Popielnik". We cooperate before with a single which was a version of the "Hymny nocy" song, with her vocals.

On final track "Chram Chorsa" sang "Meren". Her clean voices and whispers are kind of "witchy", and they fit perfectly for this song theme.

There is also a very expressive guitar solo on "Żercy pieśń krucza" played by Witek Nowak, who also made mixes and mastering.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


For now I have only dealt with EastSide for the "Uroczysko"  CD release. I'm also looking for a tape and vinyl publisher. So, yes I'm still searching.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


I can tell that I'm satisfied by their reactions. But opinion is like ass, everyone has its own.

We are talking about the underground so I'll never expect spectacular reactions. Making music is my hobby, I don't earn money on music, so I am really pleased when someone likes my music, listens to it, and even buys.

I try to be realistic, and I'm grateful for any positive reaction. I try to ignore negative ones, because mostly they are not constructive and lead only to frustration.

Making black metal is a "safety valve" for me, so if some like my expresions - is great, when not - fuck it.


10.What is going on with 'Black  moon' these days?


I don't know. It's a Metal Archive mistake. I never played in Blackmoon. And I have nothing common with them.


11.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?


It's a hard question because I tried to create my music by impressions. I don't plan my albums before I grab the guitar.. My main purpose is to provide a specific gloom and dark atmosphere through sounds. I also dream of making Moonthoth from a solo project to a regular band.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles you are currently listening to nowadays?


There are many of them. I mainly listen to black metal, and I had a crush on the last Djevel album. I also listened to the last Witchmaster album which is great musically and incredibly mixed and mastered.

From other styles I've gone back to Carbon Based Lifeforms. Their albums have a great atmosphere and incredible sound.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Deeply thanks for this interview opportunity. As I said, I'm really grateful to everyone who supports Moonthoth and listens to my music.

Keep the black flame alive with your zine.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment