Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Drivdal Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Well, this was never intended to be released actually. Ive always wanted to make an album that consists of metal and punk, as the two music styles have been a big influence of mine. I felt i had to get out some aggression, and i just wanted to be alone, so it started out like that-Needing an outlet, and also needing time alone.



2.Recently you have released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recoridng?

As said, its (for me) a hybrid of punk and metal, but also rocknroll, folk metal and whatever sounds catchy to me really. I just wanted it to be aggressive, and all the songs started out like that- Having an outlet for My aggression.



3.You refer toy your music as being 'anarchist black metal', can you tell us a little bit more about this term?

Well, it is James Fogarty (In The Woods..., Ewigkeit, Jaldaboath etc) who came up with that term i think, and i just really liked it. I mean, im pretty much an anarchist, and intended this to be a black metal album, so hey-Its accurate i think.Also i think you should have an anarchist mind when you make music. Do your own thing, for yourself, dont be bound to rules.



4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the solo project?

Well, id have so say it like this- Art is made to make the viewer make up their own reaction to the painting, or whatever art it is. And then you get a reaction. It would be kind of boring for me to know what lyrics meant, so i like to not spoil that. What i think is not necessarily what you think. Thats just how it is with metaphores and lyrics. Its your mental painting, its your art, you see what you see.



5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Drivdal'?

Drivdal is my last name, and its also where my family come from, and so its a name i want to honour. Its my roots. Inspiration wise it makes me remember that i write for My own therapeutic reasons, i try not to let my ego get to much involved.



6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

Its made by James, and it is a picture of the norwegian resistance movement during ww2, where they honor the norwegian king Kong Haakon the 7th. They say "Long live Kong Haakon.", wich is in Norwegian, so "Leve" means "to live", or also it means "long live". My grandfather was a part of the norwegian resistance movement, so the fact that i can honor him means a lot to me. James couldnt have come up with a better cover, and it means a lot to me. Very grateful for that one...



7.With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience playing with bands, how would you compare the 2?

Hmm. I love to make music alone, but i love to make music with people too. There are pros and cons with both. Im both a very introvert and extrovert person, so i mean, what can i say- i love to do both! But i must say that getting to play with In The Woods... is a dream come true for me. Its a fucking great band, and the guys are fucking great. For me, i get to do the old saying "living the dream", and nothing can top that really.



8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

Well, different reactions, but all in all good. Some like it very much, and say that this is some of the best they heard, while others say its boring and not their type of music. Both is cool i think. I mean, not everybodys boat can be rocked, so i appreciate people being honest.

9.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you a part of?

With In The Woods... we will play festivals in the future, and hopefully record a new record as well. Just have fun basiclly!

Tranqidiots have a new record done, wich will be mastered asap. We have a break atm, but we hope to get together soon and have fun too...

I record as much as i can, and i have new ideas, and want to explore more atmospheric stuff for my next album, or whatever it will become.



10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I honestly dont know, but i would really like to put this (Drivdal) on vinyl. That some people want it on vinyl doesent mean i can sell a couple of hundered, so we will see... its a wet dream atm, haha. But- I have recorded the whole album, so that is done. But i want it mixed properly first. So yes, its hard to say when. Nowadays i just enjoy playing with ITW..., and i hope we will play a lot of festivals this year...

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Wich ones who has had an influence is hard to know really. I have a very diverse music taste. I listen to everything, as long as its cool. So when i make music i just try to make something i really like. The bands that made me wanna start with music when i was as young as three was Kizz and Pink Floyd actually. And i loved Iron Maiden, Sepultura, Pantera, Metallica and stuff like that. But i mean as i said i listen to so much different. Like right now for example, i listen to The Wildhearts. I think Ginger is a fucking amazing songwriter. Nowadays i listen to...Where to start, haha. I have listened a lot to Tribulation and Wormwood, two swedish metal bands, fucking amazing bands..And The Clowns and The Bronx. Energetic punk rock, wich i like...Ive also started driving into Ewigkeit more and more wich is fantastic i think-I like the hybrid he does, doesent seem bound to a certain recipe. As mentioned earlier, that is something i really appreciate...

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

I run, try to train, meditate, and im a proud dad. A really fucking proud one too. I also like to draw, but rearly get time for it...Other than that i hang out with friends really, or stay home alone watching a good documentary about some fucked up serial killer, haha.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Support musicians, buy their merch and music as direct as you can.

Other than that, id just like to say thanks for wanting to speak to me!



 https://www.facebook.com/DrivdalMetal/

No comments:

Post a Comment