Thursday, October 15, 2020

Sepulchre By The Sea Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Sepulchre by the Sea is a one man atmospheric black metal project inspired by the works of Edgar Allen Poe that I started in early 2019



2.In November you have your first full length coming out, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?

The style on "Conqueror Worm" is generally post/atmospheric black metal but includes lots of other elements like shoegaze, folk, hardcore and doom. If you've ever heard of the Japanese film director Hideo Nakata who put all of his ideas into "Ring" because he thought he'd never make another horror film, it's a bit like that.



3.Your lyrics cover the writings of Edgar Allan Poe, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in his work and also are there any other writers that you have an interest in?

I've always been a big fan of Poe's work as I really like gothic horror and the short story format and he had such a huge impact on the horror genre and literature in general. I'm also a fan of HP Lovecraft, Bram Stoker and HG Wells and wouldn't rule out making music influenced by other writers in the future


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Sepulchre By The Sea'?

"Sepulchre by the Sea" is a direct reference to perhaps Edgar Allen Poe's most well known poem Annabel Lee, a gothic romantic work about a woman who the narrator loved so much he believed the angels killed her out of jealousy. Poe also used the word "Sepulchre" (a fancy word for a tomb) a lot in other stories and its badass!


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?

Earlier in the year I was struggling to find artwork for the album and was tired of trawling through classical public domain artwork, at that time I picked up my coffee mug and saw this pattern in the bottom. It started as a joke, like even my coffee is black metal, but the more I played around with it the more I liked it and I eventually came to see it as some kind of ominous planet that was cracking and ready to explode.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

I've been in a lot of bands, but am really enjoying the satisfaction of creating everything myself at the moment. However, if the right musicians came along, I definitely think it would be cool to play these songs live one day, when live music gets back to normal.


7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I'm not technically signed, however, this album is getting a physical release through Anthrazit records (who've also designed some awesome t shirts). I'm definitely open to working with other labels in the future and would love to release a split with another band.


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of post black metal?

So far it's been fantastic, and has been really encouraging (even when I just had a demo) to hear from people in different parts of the world. My fans are mostly based in Europe and America but i'd really like to expand to places like south east Asia, where I know there are great black metal scenes


9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I'm definitely going to take some time to reflect on my sound once Conqueror Worm has been released. I'm a big believer in listening to feedback, both good and bad, and there's still so much I want to learn about production and maybe even experimenting with other instruments. I definitely have some ideas already brewing for more music though.


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

As far as bands that have influenced my style I really consider the "big four" to be Panopticon, Deafheaven, Mizmor and Saor. I also discovered "Limbo" by the Portugese band Gaerea last week which is fast becoming my favourite post black album this year, and really enjoyed the latest records from Chagrin and Light in the Dark too.


11.What are some of your non musical interests?

Unsurprisingly, I also enjoy writing short stories (both horror and sci fi) and also run a bad movie podcast with my friend called "Schlock Tactics"


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you for the interview, I hope everybody enjoys the album when it comes out and please get in touch if you do cause I'm always up for chatting about all things post black metal!


No comments:

Post a Comment