Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Hail Conjurer Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording of the new full length?


- I recorded the album in January 2022 and since that two demo tapes - Anti-Dualist recorded in January 2022 and Lunar Action recorded in 2021 - were released (in March). I also recorded some new Hail Conjurer stuff this summer, to be announced and released later. 


2. In September you also have a new full length coming out, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


- All the albums differ form each other and this is not an exception. Compared to some of the other albums, Earth Penetration is a bit more synth-oriented. From my perspective it's closer to Carnal Light (2020 album) and Disrobed for the Devil (a song on split with Absolute Key) than the other releases. 


3. You are also involved with a few other bands and musical projects, what is it that you bring into the music of 'Hail Conjurer' that you are not able to do with your other groups?


- Hail Conjurer is the most personal of all the musical entities I've worked with, so I could say it's not necessarily about the musical content that I'm able to do with Hail Conjurer as much as the way of doing things. With HC I can explore the musical spheres in a way that is not possible when there is inter-personal communication involved and required.


4.You also have experience working with other metal genres, do you feel this has been very helpful when it comes to being a musician?


- I don't feel I'm a musician anyway, at least when it comes to terms of playing musical instruments. Creating art is the main thing and musical instruments are just, well, instruments for doing that. Thus the result can be quite crude sometimes. And it is not just other metal genres or other music genres that can serve as inspiration or starting point for musical pieces I work with. Other forms of art or reality can do that as well. So all the experience I have "helps" in a way.


5.Some of your lyrics cover Occultism themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?


- I'd rather answer to more straight-forward questions. "A little bit more" is just too vague and pointless.


6.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have explored over the years with your music?


- Well, the lyrical approach is most of the times less essential than the non-lyrical sides, even when it comes to actual lyrics. I tend to work outside the language and even with the lyrics there are usually a lot of non-lyrical aspects I try to dig into. The main motivation is to surpass the dualist limitations and reach the being as a whole. On Earth Penetration I continue exploring the concepts of sin and carnal will and how they manifest in the world. 


7.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Hail Conjurer'?


- Hagal


8.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


- The artwork is done by me, based on the photography of Timo Ketola. You can find some of the themes of the album presented on it.


9.With this project you record everything by yourself but also have experience playing with full bands, do you feel you are able to accomplish more musically working solo?


- I'm referring to answer to Q.3. 


10.Since 2017 you have released a good amount of released with this project, do you spend most of your time writing and creating music?


- More or less.


11.What are some of the best shows that you have done with this project and also how would you describe your stage performance?


- Not the best but the first one in July 2017 was a special one as it wasn't sure at all that I'd be doing live shows with Hail Conjurer at all, due to fact that it's just me. I play the gigs just by myself too, so I have to use the backing track I've recorded. But it is still me playing on the backing track as well, with drums and all. The last gig I played was in Copenhagen this summer and it turned out to be of a special kind, by accident. I had major technical problems with guitar gear and instead of stopping the gig I played drums in a very primitive manner while doing vocals. It was chaotic for sure. 


12.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?


- There is only one confirmed gig ahead at the moment. I'll do a collaborational show with Metsäkirkko at Blow Up Festival Opening Ceremony in October at Suomenlinna sea fortress in Helsinki. The gig is an adaptation of collaboration we had on "Maailmansyöjä" album. I'll do more Hail Conjurer shows when I get offered interesting ones.


13.You also have been a part of a few splits over the years, can you tell us a little bit more about the bands or musical projects that you have shared these recordings with?


- Just two splits: one with Ceremonial Torture and another one with Absolute Key. Bot of them Finnish one man acts. Ceremonial Torture plays dark mythical black metal inspired by the hellenic bm and Absolute Key wanders in realms of electronic music. "Maailmansyöjä" wasn't a split release but a collaborational album I did with Finnish ritual ambient duo Metsäkirkko.


14.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your newer music by fans of black metal?


- Like with the older music as well, some people like, some don't.


15.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


- I keep on feeding the flame.


16.What are some of the bands or musical styles that you are currently listening to nowadays?


- I tend to listen to old favourites a lot. Recently it's been mostly Beherit, Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio, Necromantia, Amebix and Vesa-Matti Loiri (RIP).


17.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


- Thanks for your interest.


facebook.com/hailconjurer

No comments:

Post a Comment