Sunday, August 14, 2022

УБИЙ Interview

 



For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

Hail OccultBlackMetalZine! 

I had an idea of creating a black metal act for years but it had to wait for the right time. The first seeds of UBIY were planted in the middle of 2020. From that point I began to compose and then record first songs. Debut self-titled mini-album was released In March 2022. All music and lyrics were written and performed by me so UBIY is a one-man band. The initial purpose of the project was to create an outlet for expressing dark boiling energy within, in black metal way.  

Can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

I value different shapes of the genre and music in general but with UBIY I am going for the most furious diabolically aggressive black metal. That’s what’s nagging to be unleashed. 

A lot of your lyrics cover Satanism themes; can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?

I am a permanent researcher of darkest aspects of human existence: serial killers, criminology, psychopathology, history which is a horror gallery by itself. If you go deep with these subjects it can become a dangerous journey but if one can’t look straight in the eye of real evils of the world he will not reach the hidden truths of existence and I am a truth seeker. 

What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?

Debut EP lyrics deals with murder, hatred towards desert parasitic ideologies, apocalyptic visions and so on. For me lyrics are far more than just words added to music. They are spearheads of the songs. When working on lyrics I spent many hours to find the right words and put them in the right places. You can check lyric videos of all the songs from EP with English subtitles on UBIY YouTube channel. 

I know that the projects name means 'kill' in Russian, how does this name fit in with the musical style that you play?

I will correct you here a little bit. "Убий" is not just regular Russian but old Slavonic word. As you may know, the sixth commandment is "thou shalt not kill" and in old Slavonic it’s "не убий". In complete opposition to that the project is called УБИЙ without "not" part. Correct pronunciation of project name is "oo-beey". UBIY stands for committing the worst of mortal sins – the destruction of life, absolute rejection and breaking off the God’s will, the beastly predatory nature of man, my own not so calm spirit and mind and it also perfectly conveys the violent essence of UBIY music. 

Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the EP cover?

EP cover is a photo of me that was taken on the winter solstice night 2021. The chosen colors represent blood and death which is connected to the concept of the project. I can agree that the cover looks kind of amateurish but it works I think. Next time I will do something more sophisticated on that side of things.   

With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

The possibility of working with other musicians or even growing into a full band to play live is the matter of finding the right people which is not easy to say the least. I have a very high expectations and zero tolerance for compromising my vision. Also the amount of effort required for bringing this hypothetical plan to life is enormous. So right now I'm very far from it but we’ll see what future holds.

Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

No I have not yet managed to establish any agreements with any label so far. 

On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

Most of it was good but the project is still kind of undiscovered so I cannot say that there was so much of a global reaction. The best one I think was including UBIY debut in best black metal albums of 2022 video by Metal Trenches YouTube channel. It’s great when an ultra-underground one-man act as UBIY is mentioned among such big genre names such as Watain, Nokturnal Mortum, Blut Aus Nord and others. Hail to Metal Trenches for support!   

When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I am defiantly not an adherent of high-speed creativity so it will take time. Once again, I do all this for myself so there is no point to set any deadline. The world is already full of rushed uninspired music. Quality over quantity and fuck compromises. I will maintain and develop UBIY personal style, push it to more diverse yet even more extreme direction in all aspects of it. 

What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

List of important bands would be much longer than this interview. I listen to very different stuff but metal is the axis of my musical identity. Here are some of the records I enjoyed on a last week: Motorhead – Sacrifice, Angelcorpse - Of Lucifer and Lightning, Funeral Mist – Deiform, Furze - Necromanzee Cogent, Diabolic – Supreme Evil, Omnizide – NekroRegime, Impure - Satan's Eclipse, Abscess – Tormented, Infernal War – Terrorfront, Likblek – Likblek, Impious Throne – Scourge, Blood Tsunami - For Faen!, Samhain – Initium, Killing Joke - Hosannas from the Basements of Hell, Das Ich ‎– Satanische Verse and many more. This list can give you an approximate idea of what bands and styles I do enjoy.

Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I want to thank you John for support from OccultBlackMetalZine. Follow UBIY official pages and spread the word. And the word is UBIY. 

Cain of UBIY, August 2022.


No comments:

Post a Comment