Thursday, April 5, 2012

Rhetra Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
You’re the first one interviewing us, so I thank you and I start on answering.

“Rhetra” is a special project wanted by a very special person.It all began on June 28, 2010.
Someone told me to take my electric guitar and put it in my bedroom.Up to that moment, it was in my parents’ mansard.I got and moved it because I esteemed the asking person very much: I didn’t know anything about the continuation.I played guitar when I was teenager and just as autodidact because I studied violin instead, with excellent maestri.From one day to another I started playing guitar in a totally different way from what I was used till that moment.The same thing happened to me about screaming: I even didn’t know how to bring it out. It was amazing and stunning at the same time: I felt sort of electric and astonished.I have always had talent for singing and I studied about too.This is just an intentional synthesis of events, because the details are personal.Davide is my best friend and he played drums when he was teenager.When he listened to our first song, “Death of the misusers”, he decided to buy electronic drums to start playing again.



2. How would you describe your musical sound?
We have a bladed sound from guitar and a quite fast and furious drums rhythm.Almost inexistent is rest: atmosphere is chaotic and conveys the power of rage able to destroy.Our melody is an apocalyptic Rite: a vortex of accords capable to suck into itself all things that we hate.
This is what I think about our sound and what I really feel every time I play or I listen to recorded stuff. Someone said it reminds sonorities from early Darkthrone, early Immortal, early Gorgoroth… Hail!



3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
All lyrics are written by me and Skugga.We exactly express our life’s philosophy: the contents rove from mystic to misanthropic, to modern society’s condemnation.It’s a chant of war and revenge. Omnipresent is pride’s and sacred value’s of courage and rebellion theme and a merciless aversion to human kind’s corruption.We feel massive repulsion against a society based on hypocrisy, on concept of profit at all costs and really void of high values as dignity and moral uprightness.Who keeps economical power has almost completely destroyed freedom of the individual, also mental freedom, breeding a mass of slaves without any personality and charisma.
We despite serfs and people without any pride, ready to serve with a vile smile on their face, just shamelessly.We want to talk to our Horde, in order to say: “we are here, again! You aren’t alone, so keep on fighting!”.We really believe in the power of words: they can awaken spirits and restore them from sickness and desperation.If we talk about grief and pain, at the same time we talk about revenge and victory, because this is the right way to address to our people.
We don’t want a mass of depressed but a formation of warriors!



4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the band name?
“Rhetra” is an historical name in ancient Greek language and it means literally “word of honour”.It was the city of Sparta constitution’s name: the group of laws orally handed in order to create a society of warriors because that was Spartan society. We consider ourselves as warriors and our word is always a word of honour, so we found this name really appropriate and then…it sounds so strong.



5. Has the band had any oppurtunities to do any live shows if so what are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Up to now we haven’t played live yet also because the album is just come out.We are searching for gigs and we think we’re going to make our debut in 2012.



6. Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line-up in the future?
When we recorded the album, we were just two members but we were searching for a bass player. Nowadays we have found the member we were missing and we hope she’s going to be ready to perform with us at the debut.It’s quite interesting the way I found out Morena.
I met her in 2009 in a disco and we were immediately joined by the passion for the same Death Metal band: at that time she didn’t play bass.We didn’t exchange our contacts but half and one year later I felt the need to find her back without really know why, just because I felt bound to her.I tried and in a few time I got her back: I found out that she lived near to my town.
After one more year, she started training with us.


7.Currently you are signed to Heder Music, how did you get in contact with this label and how would you describe the support that they have given you so far?
Heder Music is us. We founded this label to produce our music and we’re also satisfied about this choice: better independent, if you can.



8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
Actually we have received only good, positive and well-disposed comments and feedbacks up to now.Raw and old school Black Metal fans have really appreciated our appearance on the scene and have really liked our songs.That fills me with enthusiasm and amazement: best people never die!
I’m talking of course about you too, OccultBlackMetalzine

9. Are there any other side projects besides this band or is this a full time line-up?
Concerning to me Sophia and to Morena, our bass player, this is our only band.About me, I put spirit and body in that.Davide has been carrying on for years also an electronic project of dark ambient music, principally known as “Echran”.



10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
First of all, we want to get better our recording style but I’m just talking about power of sound. We also want to get a more powerful drums result and we’re already working at that.
We already have a basic recording of the second album’s songs, project for cover and the title too… We are really far-sighted guys…I let Dave decide which songs to insert in the albums, also because I love them all like kids of mine: the authors are me and Skugga.I promise to who has liked “Ego sum mors vestra” a great continuation, in perfect

11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Personally, music has always been one of the most important thing in my whole life.I began studying classic music when I was eight years old.Talking about Black Metal, we are probably similar to early Darkthrone, early Immortal, early Gorgoroth as for the whole sound.Also hard-core style has maybe influenced our sound, as I love that kind of music: it hypes me.
I have always been listening to several and different kinds of music but, obviously, I prefer extreme music because it represents my essence.Me and Davide we love electronic music too: concerning to me, just extreme and ravaging electronic music.We are quite open-minded.
The three of us adore several Death Metal bands from Europe and from America. Early two albums from Entombed are, for me and Dave, master pieces: I’ll never stop listening to them.We also adore early works from Taake and recently we found out Inquisition, from Colombia. We saw both bands live in Italy: great shows!My cult band are Dissection, for their music and philosophy and I say that with huge respect and extreme devotion.



12. Does Occultism play any role in your music?
“Occult” means “hidden”, so, people use to call “occult” everything they don’t know yet.
Many of them never know and never discover a thing because their brains are narrow in consequence of scarce culture. Many others are just to fearful to refuse sentences passed by their bosses, their leaders, their priests and they spend all their life in ignorance for “dogma”.A great Italian brutal metal band called “Hour of penance”, wrote a song titled “incontrovertible doctrines”: these are the deep graves of freedom and knowledge.My spirit and my brain have always been pushed to reach beyond every limit and bound; if you add a strong, fearless, obstinate character and a difficult temper too… so, figure out!
Yes, I love to know every thing ordinary people are scared of, often without any reasonable reason… poor fellows.I keep on studying and discovering: all and I say all I know is ruled by complex and eternal physics laws.Music conveys energy and words do the same: every sound, every scream from my throat convey energy and energy produces changes.The more powerful you’re inside, the more incendiary are your words and your ideas.I conclude saying that, if you aren’t ready to risk something and if you don’t really believe in your potentialities, you had better spend your time in getting yourself stronger.



13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I’ve got some other interest outside music.I love studying and I rove from literary to scientific subjects: my preferences include foreign languages as well as physics, occult sciences as well as natural ones.I have always been eager for knowledge, as my birth name prophetically said (.I have always been fighting to keep my life as free as possible and for this reason I still got time to devote to study.Obviously this life style doesn’t make me economically rich, but spiritually and intellectually instead and really much.I also adore to walk amid the nature, every Sunday: it reinvigorates me very much.To conclude, I’m an aesthete so I set apart two hours of my day to keep myself fit: pure coquetry (!



14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
“Rhetra” is a huge gift given to me personally by a great person who knows me well: it must be honoured as it deserves.I’ll do my best, I’ll keep on fighting, I won’t stop till complete victory.We won’t give You any idolatrous, fanatic and demented cult to follow, but a real handbook of war, written by Ancient pure fighters as We are.If You feel like, join our Horde!


No comments:

Post a Comment