Thursday, July 20, 2023

A Plague Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has  been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new ep?


Al: A///Plague has been active since 2018. I released some Eps, single and one full album on CD named "Xawara" in 2021 on a collab among several independent  labels from Brazil. I try to be always active and producing some art, playing some gigs and writing new songs. I have two new songs almost ready to record the end of this year.



2.Recently you have released a new ep, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


Al: I think I' m writing better songs nowadays and I also play better.I found my way to play black metal mixing some elements from another music styles I love.



3.So far all of your releases been demo's and ep's, are there any plans for a full length in the future?


Al: I put out one full album in 2021. "Xawara" was a compilation of older songs released only digitally and two new ones. I have plans to release another full next year on the same way, I mean, mixing old songs and new ones.


People has no much time to stop and listen to the music today. It' s pretty difficult somebody who listen tp a whole album. So, that's one of the reasons I prefer to release EPs. And I'm too slow to write songs.



4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you explore with the newer music and also how would you describer your progress as as songwriter over the years?  


Al: Like I said before I think I found my way to write BM and I' m a best musician and songwriter today.


The lyrics are the way I use to express my feelings, my ideals. I try to talk about anything I guess important such as : environmental struggle, against prejudices, antifascism and anticapitalism but sometimes I like to write about personal experiences, about solitude or even something more spiritual.



5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'A Plague'?


Al: I 'm a big fan of Chelsea Wolfe . She is an inspiration for me and I took the name A Plague from the chorus of one of her song, " Carrion Flowers".



6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?


Al: I love art in general and especially photographs. Aling these years I've always tried to use some different languages to release the artwork and this time I decided to be the model and presented my idea for the producer of the EP, João Gilberto and we make the photo.



7.The band started out as a solo project but has recently expanded  into a duo, what was the decision behind bringing in another member?


Al: In deed A///Plague still is a one man band.


I don't play drums so I use to invite some close friends to record what I write. And for the next one I'll invite one great friend of mine to play bass.


A///Plague is about me and my ideals, my passion and my demons. There's no sense in becoming a band, in my point of view.



8.The band is heavily associated with antifa a movement that some black metal fans that are not really into nsbm trust, due to shows being cancelled and getting blamed for being nazi's when they consider themselves apolitical, how strong is this movement in black metal these days and what separates antifa black metal from rabm?


Al: I came from punk DIY scene. I played on one od the first grindcore bands in Brazil in the early 90's. I pretty evolved into political and social movements, anarchist ones especially. I always love the obscurity and spiritual art that came from BLack Metal but not the prejudices and far- right ideas the mainstream bands propage. There are tons of people like me all around the world. When I discovered RABM I got so f**** happy because it's an alternative.


There are many great artists and people who have evolved into RABM community. This is a safe place for everyone, for minorities, etc.


To be antifa is an attitude and RABM is a community. An alternative against all the prejudice some nazi scum minds are preaching.



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal


Al: I have friends everywhere around the world and I am glad about it. My art has been well received along these years. 



10.What is going on with the other musical projects these days that you are a part of?


Al: I also play guitars and vocals on Void Me, another RABM band. It's a duo where Darlene is my bandmate. We're finish our new record to release one more split album.



11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


Al: I really don't know . I want to keep on writing my songs without managers, big record labels, you know. I want to keep on making friends instead of fans and keep on spreading my art and my ideals.



12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that you are currently listening to nowadays?


Al: I listen to so many different music styles : from neo soul, 80s pop until grindcore.I love music. Everything has some kind of impact on me when I'll write.


But I' m happy to say there are so many awesome bands in the RABM community. 



13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Al: I'd like to thank you for your support and everyone who took the time to read my words.


Get in contact and let's spread the Plague .


We are not alone. We are everywhere.


Antifa!


Facebook
Instagram
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment