Sunday, January 1, 2023

Calnek Interview

 

1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


Calnek is a one-man atmospheric black metal project inspired by the forests of Nova Scotia, Canada. I began writing music for this project in 2015 and am very pleased to be able to share it with the world today.


2. In December you had released a new album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


The style is a rather raw and melodic form of black metal that incorporates acoustic guitars often and keyboards sparingly. I like to play around with time signatures and focus on song structure, all while placing an emphasis on atmosphere.


3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with the music so far?


From a lyrical standpoint 'Blood of the Wild' could be considered a concept album, as there is a running theme or story throughout the album, albeit wrapped in metaphor, that deals with my own personal struggles in life.


4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Calnek'?


The name Calnek comes from the place where I spent my formative years and where my family still lives. I still love returning here as much as I can, there is some type of magick in the air.


5. Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


The picture on the cover was taken by me in the woods near the place I lived a few years ago. The band logo, album title, and cover layout were done by the supremely talented Vojtech Doubek of Moonroot Art.


6. With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


I prefer to work solo, however I would like to find a drummer to record the drums for my next album.


7. Do you also have any experience playing in other bands or musical projects?


I have played in a couple other bands in the past, but those bands never released any music. They were however very important for my progression as a musician and songwriter.


8. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


Yes, I am currently looking for a label to release physical copies of the album.


9. On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal?


The reaction has been very positive, which I am very happy about. When you spend hundreds of hours crafting something that is very important to you I think there is a natural tendency to fear that you'll be the only one to think it's any good, but thankfully that has not been the case!


10. Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


The goal is to continue evolving as a musician and songwriter as I continue to release music. I have a large portion of the next album written already with lots of new ideas flowing. I learned a lot recording and mixing 'Blood of the Wild' and I'm excited to expand on the knowledge I gained throughout that process when it comes time to record the next one.


11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I take inspiration from many bands in the black/folk/pagan/viking metal styles such as Moonsorrow, Enslaved, Drudkh, Fen, Fellwarden, Winterfylleth, Kampfar, Angantyr, Primordial, Kalmankantaja, Wolves in the Throne Room, Panopticon, Agalloch, Saor to name a few. Nowadays I listen to all those bands I mentioned in addition to Wardruna, Satanic Warmaster, Djevel, Inquisition, Mgla, Havukruunu, Pagan Hellfire, Folkvang, Dissection, Bolzer, Carbon Based Lifeforms, as well as a whole bunch of dungeon synth artists.


12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thank you so much for your interest in Calnek. I hope to have news to share regarding a physical release very soon. And thanks to the black metal community for their support thus far!


Shade


Bandcamp
Instagram
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment