Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Skratte Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the solo project since the recording of the new album?

Not much has been going on for me personally. I’m currently busy with promo related topics for my new opus „Akt II – Des Wolfes Klagen“. Furthermore I’m deeply involved in preparing my freshly crafted live team for Skratte’s first live performance at Dark Troll Festival 2023 in Schweinsburg Bornstedt, Germany. People will surely prick up their ears when they realize that „Akt II – Des Wolfes Klagen“ sounds completely different than „Akt I – Ein Feuer entfacht“.

2.In March you have a new album coming out, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

The album is actually coming out in february, 3rd of february to be exact. There are indeed some differences. The folk parts are gaining the upper hand. Among other things I recruited a violinist to accompany my playing. In the studio, we put a lot of work into the overall sound and production value of the record. „Akt II – Des Wolfes Klagen“ is packed with little details waiting to be explored.

3.The lyrics on the new album are a concept album, can you tell us a little bit more about the story you had covered with this release?

My releases are structured in different acts (in german (sg.):. Akt). The lyrical concept of „Akt II – Des Wolfes Klagen“ builts upon „Akt I – Ein Feuer entfacht“.

While "Akt I - Ein Feuer entfacht" is about the outbreak of anger and violence, kindled by worldly grievances, the continuation of this concept on "Akt II - Des Wolfes Klagen" is the fight of the individual against those grievances.

4.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have explored over the years with your music?

My lyrics deal with aversion and violence towards the modern society, contempt for people who are blinded by religion and let themselves be controlled by others. 

With my lyrics, I try to form an aesthetic world that seems to have been lost for a long time and I call on the nature spirits to defend themselves with all means against modern day tolerance. 

5.I know that the bands name mean 'forest demon' in Swedish, how does this name fit in with the musical style that you play?

As mentioned previously, the lyrics are meant to be a bastion directed against modern society and religion. In this concept, the forest demons reflect the desire to preserve what is important to them before the modern world consumes it.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

The artwork shows a powerful, armed but partially weakened werewolf, meaning to represent the power and dedication that germinates in each an everyone of us. A power meant to be used to fight for our beliefs, devoted to our individual goals in life. The cover stands representative for the lyrical concept of the record.

7.With the exception of a few session musicians you record most of the music by yourself but also have experience playing in other bands, how would you compare the two?

Skratte is my own individual way of expressing myself. I’m completely free in what I’m doing an bound by nothing but the ties of my own imagination.

In other bands I played in, I mostly sticked to my roll as a drummer, finding my freedom in expanding the bands individual soundscape by my love for extensive and complex cymbal patterns. Sadly these are not throughout documented sonically, due to technical restrictions during the recording process.

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal ?

„Akt I – Ein Feuer entfacht“ has been received very, very positively, scoring around 9/10 points in the majority of reviews. I was pretty confident that what I created was good, but had not expected that it would be valued in that kind of way. 

Since there are a lot of traditionalists in the Black Metal community, I expected a way wider range of reactions. Expanding the cultivated blast-beat-to-the-max-, tremolo-picking-for-win-, one-dimensional-reverb-cluttered-vocals-for-the-shock-sound of classical Black Metal by folk-elements and clean-singing is not the easy way to success and recognition nowadays it seams.

But who dictates that Black Metal always has to be fast? That's just how it turned out over the years. 

Varicosity and thoughtfully crafted lyrical contents are more important to me. True Black Metal spirit for me, has nothing to do with caging yourself by musical boundaries, but with pure an raw dedication for what you are doing. Tearing down modern society‘s walls of ignorance and self-adulation. Stand your own ground, be yourself, by yourself, on your own, no matter what people say or think.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

As I said before, limiting myself by any chain, thorn or spick of the Black Metal genre is not an option for me. I will keep exploring my imagination, seeing where it leads me. The road for the upcoming releases is already being paved. Expect the unexpected. 

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I have my roots set firmly in Black Metal, which is the music I spend most of my time with, occasionally dipping into traditional and folk music. I can’t name concrete influences I’m afraid. As you would expect I started my journey with the norwegian, finnish and french classics, digging further into the specific sounds of each county’s underground scene.

I‘m a music lover and collector but I’m not keeping up with with every new release or underground trend.

11.Does Paganism play any role in your music?

No, by no means. 

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you for the opportunity to present Skratte. I encourage everyone to give Skratte and the new release „Akt II – Des Wolfes Klagen“ a listen. Be prepared to not be prepared. 

Cheers

Website: www.skratteofficial.blogspot.com
Bandcamp: skratte-northernsilence.bandcamp.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/skratteofficial
Instagram: www.instagram.com/skratteofficial

No comments:

Post a Comment