Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Esoteric Ritual Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


Esoteric ritual is a one-man band that I started in 2020. Basically I had a lot of songs that didn't fit into my other projects and therefor I was kind of natural for me to form a new act. I wouldn't call it a project since I didn't form it with a plan for any releases and I don't work on a time plan. Back in 2020 I performed a lot of rituals and got a lot of visions performing. Each song (music and lyrics) are connected to individual rituals. Therefor the songs on next album will be called ”Ritual I” and so forth. I do have several musical acts, some started as projects and some more like bands. Here are some worth to mention: D APHELIUM, UNIVERSAL DISORDER, VILDBRAND, FATAL SILUETT.


2.In the last couple of years you have released a good amount of material, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you have went for on the recordings so far?


I would call it black metal or why not ritualistic black metal. All songs are played in an aggressive style and the first two EPs have alot of very fast parts. On the later recordings you can hear more of slowtempo tracks and the sound is also more easy listening. Everyone who has heard the Possessed album know that this is also aggressive, but not compared with the EPs. I also used a lot more acoustic parts on the EPs.


3.A lot of your lyrics cover occult and esoteric themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?


It has always been there for me. I discovered it in my youth and have been experimenting with it alot in practice. My life has been along a dark path and I have chosen to confront that instead of hide from it like a coward. It is evil, brutal and very painful but it is the only way to grow and to fully live your life. In early adulthood I was experimenting with alot of substace to help myself reaching different parts of myself and I know what to meet there. That experience is worth alot for me and has lower anxiety for sure and also those experiences have been giving me strength in my every day life. Around the time when I got my last born child I revisited this darker space within me and have found alot more, which I speak of in the ESOTERIC RITUAL songs.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Esoteric Ritual'?

As mentioned earlier I got inspired by the visions I got perfoming rituals.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the full length cover?

Layout and illustration of the artwork on both tape- and vinylversion was made by the very talented Ainul Iblis. I had seen the artists work on other releases and I wanted to work with him. I just gave him some guidelines and then he came up with a suggesstion. After some modification we both were satisfied.  


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

Well, to be honest there are several advantages of working alone. You are in total control of everything. But on the other hand, if you let people into your creative phase they can add dimensions to the music. I have been a many bands over my musical career and when you match up with the right person you can create stuff that is impossble to do by yourself. The thing is that these people dont grow of trees. If and when I meet someone that could add something suitable to my music I would love to work together. It has seen a few years since I meet someone suitable. But I am on a constant search for people to do music together with. I guess I never give up that search! One thing is for sure though, I will never share ESOTERIC RITUAL with anyone since they cant share my visions.


7.In 2021 you where a part of a split with 'Calderum', what are you thoughts on the other project that had participated on the recording?

CALDERUM is a very nice act and their, or should I say his part of the split is absolutely fantastic. We stumble across each other and really like each other songs so we made this plan to do a tape or vinyl split release. This Spanish guy really master the art of songwriting. He is very productive too so we share that thing as well. I do hope we could be working together in the future. I would be honored to do so.


8.So far you have worked with a good amount of labels on the physical versions of your releases, can you tell us a little bit more about the labels you have worked with so far?

Yes there have been a few. First of all they all have been really great to work with. First ESOTERIC RITUAL EP was released on cd format by WULFHERE PRODUCTIONS, a small underground label based in UK. Actually the band ESOTERIC RITUAL was born when I was staying in UK and therefor there was some misunderstanding about the my nationality even though the origin of the band clearly is UK. The man behind WULFHERE PRODUCTIONS is Paul from THY DYING LIGHT and ATRA MORS among others. The tape-version of the first EP was released by NARBENTAGE PRODUKTIONEN, a german label that most people in the underground are familiar with. That label have released so many superb artists work during the years. It was my first choise when I was looking for someone to release the EP and liked the songs. Honestly that guy must be crazy working. From what I understand he is running that label all by himself and he is doing like 100 releases a year. Total dedicated! The second ESOTERIC RITUAL EP was recorded just weeks after the debut and NARBENTAGE PRODUKTION also handled that release. That goes for the tape version of the Split with CALDERUM. The plan was first to let NARBENTAGE PRODUKTIONEN handle the European version of the tape and that I would be released in US by ANCIENT MEADOWS. But somehow this didnt happen which resulted in that the tape only got an edition of 100 copies. The vinyl version of the split was released by a small label called ESCAFISMO RECORDS, based in Argentina. A very nice gentle guy that made a really nice finish on that album. For the ESOTERIC RITUAL full-length album it was released on tape by BANNER OF BLOOD, US-based label that was very professional when it came to everything. The vinyl version was released by WORM MOON RECORDS, a small label based in Polen. Like I said all labels have been really great working with and I would be more than happy to work with any of them in the future.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

I have got some e-mail from people that like what I have created and they are asking for more material. It is great actually. But I don't reach for the masses. I think ESOTERIC RITUAL is for a small part of the population and that is okay.


10.You have a couple of ep's coming out this year, what can we expect musically once they are released?

That is correct that there will be releases in 2023. I recorded an EP and an full-length album in late 2021 and the plan was to release them both in 2022, but due to personal circumstances I had to rescheduled everything to 2023. The physical releases of the full-length album called LOST IN THE MAZE are going to be handled by LABYRINTH TOWER. This label has its HQ in US and I have been working with the director several times before on other bands I have been involved in. Just a few days ago I signed a contract for a full-length release of one ESOTERIC RITUAL album on a Swedish label called THE WILD HUNT. This means that the EP actual have to expand and I will enter the studio in late January to record a couple of more songs. This record will be dedicated to a very special woman, Evie Lo. From the new releases you can expect aggressive yet melodic black metal in the veins of the previous releases.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Influences are for alot of different genres and also from other artforms. I do enjoy nature, going to exhibitions and ofcourse listen to alot of music. I listen to older bands from the second wave black metal like SATYRICON, DISSECTION, MARDUK, IMMORTAL, SIGH etc but since I grew up in and around Stockholm the ”sunlight era” caught me and bands like DISMEMBER, ENTOMBED, UNLEASHED, GRAVE, SEANCE etc. I often revisit earlier albums of AT THE GATES, IN FLAMES, DARK TRANQUILLITY, ABIGOR, ABSU, DARK THRONE, KREATOR, etc. But there are alot of good newer bands releasing interesting albums and I really enjoy more underground bands like LAMP OF MURMUUR, TRHÄ, IFERNACH, MAQUAHUITL, NACHTHEIR. Somehow I just wrote extreme metal bands hehe.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you for the interview! Keep on enjoying life and good luck with your great zine! Also I do hope to see you IRL in 2023!

No comments:

Post a Comment