Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Ecnarettu Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


First, I appreciate your support as I launch this new project Ecnarettu. It all began about 6 months ago. For a long time I’ve been wanting to start a project that captures the cold, mechanical nature of Industrial Black Metal as I remember it in the 90‘s. There were so few bands back then experimenting with electronics and Black Metal aesthetics, but those that were - they left a lasting impression on me... Thorns, Mysticum, N.A.O.S., MZ.412, Diabolos Rising. My ambition was simply to create the type of music that I have a passion for and always wanted more of.


2.In the last couple of months you have released a couple of ep's, musically how do they both differ from each other?


The debut, “Sacramental Demon” was me finding my way again after not creating music in a serious manner for over a decade... I knew where I wanted to go with it, but there’s some stuff on there that is very Celtic Frost and Bathory - basically a homage to the elder gods with an experimental, industrial twist. The newest EP, “Conclave of Darkness” is more focused on the electro-black metal side, and the dark path becomes more clear along the way.


3.A lot of your lyrics cover occult themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?


I like to seek out obscure books on witchcraft, hypnotism, demonology, necromancy, etc. Often I take a bit of history and create dark occult fiction around it, for the lyrical approach. Witchcraft, paganism, Wicca, whatever you’d like to call it - has many relevant concepts to me. Enriching one’s life with intent, and drawing power from nature -  that is a wonderful thing. Small rituals throughout the day can lead to great progress. I believe these things are best used to improve and advance one’s self, rather than some form of escapism.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ecnarettu'?


The working title for the project was “Backwards Utterance.” Too complicated. Instead, I spelled the word Utterance backwards - hence Ecnarettu. I’m a goddamn genius.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?


It’s a re-interpretation of a painting of the beheading of St John the Baptist. I worked with an artist to bring out certain nuances. There’s some intricate details that reveal themselves over time - that’s basically the approach with the music as well.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience working with other musicians in your past bands, how would you compare the two?


It’s completely different. When part of a band, there are various personalities, egos and ambitions involved that contribute to the brew and that can be very interesting and productive. Or it can be destructive and distracting. I choose to work alone these days and I don’t see that changing.


7.Recently you have re-located to Georgia after being a part of the new England underground metal scene for a few years, can you tell us a little bit more about the move?


I always thought I’d have to be a retired old man before I had freedom to explore. Thanks to the Covid plague, my day job went remote and I moved immediately. I was on the southern coast for two years, and then ventured inland. I currently live near the Appalachian trails and mountainous terrain. It’s where I’m meant to be, for now... I’m out in the woods, sometimes exploring for days at a time. The power of nature is certainly why I am now creating music again.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


I’m honestly not sure. I think as a musician, I want the creation to reach an audience that would appreciate it. But, I also have no interest in being part of whatever “the scene” is these days. That part of my life is long since over. But anyways, if I come across the right collaboration, I’m open to that.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your new project by fans of industrial black metal?


Great responses from the few I’ve talked to. I’ve only recently started to reach out to a couple folks such as yourself and reveal the project in a very subtle way. I’m not really comfortable with self-promotion, but it is a necessary evil.


10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I think the project needs another EP or perhaps a split release or two. I would like to develop the style a bit more, before a full length. Do people still care about full lengths? I guess they must if you are asking. The most important thing to me at this moment is to keep the creativity flowing with Ecnarettu, as well as my other project DECEIVETH, which is more in the vein of Godflesh and Killing Joke. Check it out at https://deceiveth.bandcamp.com/


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I was revisiting Necromantia’s “Crossing the Fiery Path” album earlier tonight. That’s just a beautiful and inspirational occult metal album. My biggest inspirations are Mysticum, early Rotting Christ, Beherit (early stuff as well as the synth albums), Samael, Havohej, VON, Goblin, Skinny Puppy, :wumpscut:, Godflesh, CF, Bathory, Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, Portishead... Those are what I typically listen to. As far as newer releases -  lately I’ve really been enjoying Two Ravens from Sweden and Midnight Climax out of RI. The new album from Viogression is probably the best thing they ever did... quite a blast from the past. Also, I’ve been going through the Ieschure discography which I learned about on your site, great and creative music...


12.before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thanks for your support!

https://ecnarettu.bandcamp.com/album/conclave-of-darkness

No comments:

Post a Comment