Friday, November 6, 2020

Fratura Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

First of all I wanted to thank Occult Black Metal Zine for this huge opportunity. It is very important to me, to Fratura! Well, Fratura is a project that brings together all the musical influences that I have been absorbing for years. It's a one man band, whose work has so far been done in a very rustic and homely way, a characteristic that I always wanted to give to a project. This fact adds a lot to the sound that I wanted. It's part of the concept.


2.Recently you have released an album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that is presented on the recording?

Yes, the debut "Corposeco" was released in the middle of the year. Some songs from my first demo called "Necroambulist" are also in this record. The sound is based on extreme metal, evil as fuck ... with a lot of d-beat, crust influences, what is sometimes referred to as punk metal.


3.You refer to your music as being 'black beat' can you tell us a little bit more about this term?

Black-Beat was a term I found to define the type of music of Fratura, it's the mix of Black Metal and D-Beat, speaking in general. I couldn't find a better name, I think. And actually, somehow I wanted to bring something new, you know? A new definition that could serve as a parameter to the future work of some bands, that identified themselves and that could develop this "style". So Fratura defines itself as a Black-Beat band.


4.A lot of your lyrics cover Satanic themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in Satanism?

I have Lucifer as the first rebel, the first revolutionary, the one who had the attitude of questioning and confronting authority. I think he represents that to many people out there. I really like the contemporary philosophy of Satanism, like Anton Lavey's Satanism which, in my view, is something totally practical and rational. It's nothing more than declaring yourself your own master. These archetypes and symbologies are perfect. The real free-will, the mental emacipation of dogmas imposed by religions, all of them.


5.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with your music so far?

I address some issues related to human nature. The morbidity that we all have, however well hidden among our guts, psychiatric disorders, limits and wills and desires suppressed by the joke of morality. I also try to explore a bit of folklore and ancient Brazilian cultural histories, which have scary and disturbing themes that many people don't know. I like to relate real cases like that Ricky Kasso, that boy who killed his friend in the name of Satan, very crazy on acid, in America. Or disasters committed by humanity like the case of Chernobyl, which I narrate in the song "Unseen Death".


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about your anarchist views?

From a very early age I was involved with the punk movement, I think a lot of the metal guys started listening to punk music. More than music, punk brought me an interest in anarchism and putting it into practice on a daily basis. Whether sewing your own clothes, making your own sound, DIY. So, this thought was fundamental in the design of Fratura. Although I value the culture of my country, which I think is beautiful, the only flag that exists for me is the black one, you know?


7.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Fratura'?

Long before I started working, I already had that name in mind. Somehow I always saw power in it and a great sound. But some other facts influenced me to give the project its name. I always liked the British band Broken Bones and their name, I wanted something that had to do with bones. And also another fundamental detail: I am a medical radiology technician, I'm the x-ray guy haha .. So, a name more than familiar. The term 'Fratura' has a sound similar to the name 'Sepultura'. I thought that the association of names could be easier to remember. But I can be wrong haha.


8.The name of the album is 'Corposeco' which is also an entity in Brazilian folklore, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?

Body in literal translation means dry body. It's an entity that wanders for eternity on earth with a body without a soul, decomposed flesh and dry, condemned to oblivion. Legend has it that he was such a terrible man in life that neither God nor the devil wanted him after death. Not even the cemetery land, which literally spit it out of the grave. It's the kind of atmosphere I like: scary and bizarre. I later adopted the name Corposeco as a "war name".


9.How would you describe the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

I was researching inspirations for the cover, until I found this art. I looked for its author, but I couldn't find it. I spent several days contemplating this picture and decided to use it for the cover after all. I see death hovering beside their enslaved souls, ready for a spectacular harvest! That's what I feel every time I look at this art. It fit perfectly into the concept.


10.Can you tell us a little bit more about the mask you wear in the promo pics?

It is a kind of bag that I put. I was inspired by the black metal look, like a doom head. Some bands in the scene today perform like that. As if they were just evil entities playing. You know that version of Jason with the bag over his head? When I was imagining the look, I thought about putting it together, and I drilled a hole in the mask. The result was this. Corposeco was born there. I believe that this also draws a lot of attention to the sound.


11.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

I'm about to experience that. My initial idea was just the one man band format, because I wanted to put my ideas into practice without interventions or other things. And so I went on. But recently I have received a lot of support from musicians who would like to join Fratura to perform in gigs, lives .. I didn't expect that! This was a great satisfaction for me, which started to change my vision in a way. So it may be that Fratura will soon become a complete band. Or not, let's see what happens.


12.The new album was released on 'Electric Funeral Records', how did you get in contact with this label?

After recording the demo and debut, I started looking for labels for promotion. To my surprise, Electric Funeral Records was one of the first labels I sent the job to. It's a very eclectic label. They liked it right away! So we started this partnership that is being crucial for the project. I didn't know where to start and how to develop an effective disclosure and they guided me in that direction.


13.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal and crust?

We started international promotion a short time ago, so we are watching, but I have already received good reviews of the scene in Sweden, Russia, Germany, Italy and the Czech Republic, where the crust scene is very heavy. My intention is to please both punk and headbangers, hopefully we will be successful in that.


14.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I don't know, I hope, really that in the near future Fratura may be sharing the sound on a larger scale, inspiring other bands and projects and being born out of nowhere. So I expect a lot from Fratura, I have a lot of things in mind, a lot of material, a lot of experiences to put into practice. All the life I have left will be little for so much of the plans I have with the project .. haha


15.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

It's a huge list, but I can sum it up with a few names. Dude, to start with: Discharge! Man, I believe that without bands like Discharge, Anti-Cimex, without D-beat, Hardcore, the future of punk and metal would be very different. I really like that Scandinavian scene of bands like Rattus, Riistetyt, Totalitar. Brazilian punk bands like Ratos de Porão, Besthöven.. Countless bands have learned from this school. Inside the metal I really like the traditional Thrash of classic bands like Slayer, Sepultura .. going to the first wave of Black Metal with Bathory, Hellhammer / Celtic Frost, the first seeds! And undoubtedly, bands like Sarcofago, Mutiilation, Mayhem and especially Darkthrone that also explores punk a lot, especially on the most recent albums. I've been listening to a lot of new and independent bands here in Brazil and there's a lot of good and original stuff! Brazil has always had a great contribution to worldwide metal.


16.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Yes, once again I would like to thank Occult Black Metal for this interview, thank the folks at Electric Funeral Records, Collapse Agency for their excellent work and support. To supporters and friends! My sincere thanks! And leave DIY's message. If you want something, do it yourself! Burn the flags! No gods, no masters!

Thank you!

Hail Satan! 

https://open.spotify.com/album/0u7O0qBjbCUCmKPtSjZnzY

No comments:

Post a Comment