Thursday, November 19, 2020

Druon Antigon Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?  


Druon Antigon is a project where I try to tie my musical tastes together and blend it into something I can call my own 'style.' I love experimentation in music, blending genres and presenting a narrative. I hope my music conveys that. 


2.You have an album coming out in December, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?  


Like before, Druon Antigon is really the project where I try to find a way where I can tie together my musical interests and influences. I've always been a fan of metal, predominantly black and doom, but listen to a plethora of other (non-metal) genres as well. I think the most dominating aspects outside of (black) metal, are IDM/glitch and ambient. 


For the 'feel' of the music, I tend to work with digital synthesizers a lot, resulting in a more cosmic or maybe even sci-fi feeling. 


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?  


This being the first project, I haven't done a lot of different lyrics. The one on this album though, are pretty much an exploration into cosmic nihilism. In the truly grand scheme of things, our lives are pretty meaningless. Whether humanity continues on or not, is rather meaningless on a cosmic scale. The narrative on the album is about someone realizing humanity's insignificance on a cosmic level and trying to overcome said meaninglessness. 


The first track 'Zinloos' (='Meaningless') is about the realization of our insignificance.


The second track 'Herrijzenis' (='Resurrection') is about trying to overcome that insignificance by trying to destroy ourselves so that our physical remains might be used as the building blocks for something greater. About breaking down our bodies, to become 'clay' for a greater creation. We destroy ourselves, so our remains might be more than what they once were. 


The third track is an instrumentel track, 'Like Gods.' It's meant to be the turning point. Like achieving said goal of transcending out of our limited significance and into godhood.


The last track 'Weavess' is about the folly of trying to transcend. In the end, it is useless and even more meaningless to try and be more than what we are. The universe/fate cares not for our human ideas. There is no ascending. There is no trying to reason with fate. We are what we are and we, as humans, just have to be content with that. We should find solace in that. The whole idea of transcending is flawed: there is no greater or lesser than what we are. Everything just is what it is. To try and transcend that meaninglessness and futility, is the most meaningless and futile act of all.


4.On the promo page you also made a reference to the Book Of Enoch, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this novel?  


I can't say the whole of it inspired me, but the specific passage used on the album definitely did. Everything on earth or in space, has its predetermined path. Nothing is more or less than it is nor does it have a desire to be. It keeps following its path like clockwork. We can resist, work against it, try to transcend our humanity, but in the end we just are what we are. Our insignificance on a cosmic scale will always be the same, no matter our actions. 


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Druon Antigon'?  


I live in the Belgian region of Antwerp. There's a myth about the birth of Antwerp that has been around since around the middle ages. In said region lived a giant by name of Druon Antigoon. He would demand toll from whoever tried to pass the river Schelde. Those who could not pay the toll, would have their hand cut off and tossed into the Schelde. Until one day a Roman soldier called Brabo decided to take up arms against Druon Antigoon. He slayed the giant and, in turn, tossed his hand into the Schelde. 'Antwerp' in Dutch is 'Antwerpen', which sounds like 'Hand werpen', which translates to 'to throw a hand.'


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?  


For the artwork I wanted something alien, yet recognizable. It features a landscape that almost seems possible and plausible. It's supposed to be familiar, yet also strange. We see structures like a mountainside, for example. But at the same time there is a lot of alien unknowns in there. 


It's done by Pieter Coenjaerts, an acquintance I've had the pleasure of meeting during our student years. He did a phenomenal job and I very much thank him for it. 


7.Has the band done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project?  


I hope to one day be able to perform live shows, but this project and its complexities likely isn't going to be it. 


8.The album is going to be released on 'Onism Productions', how did you get in contact with this label?  


The label was so kind as to contact me after hearing some music I had put online in a Facebookgroup, The Order ov the Black Arts. I'm honestly still very honored that they contacted me and liked my music enough to release it. 


I'd also like to give a shout out to said Facebookgroup. It's full of fantastic and knowledgeable people and has been a vast resource in finding new music. 


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?  


I think this question is exaggerating the impact of the music a bit, honestly. But anyway.. 


The general reaction was pretty positive, I guess. Black metal can be a pretty dogmatic genre though, with some fans having a very rigid view on what it should and shouldn't be. Since I like to experiment a lot, I guess it wouldn't appeal to that segment much. More power to them though. You like what you like, you know?  


10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?  


Just in the home studio, where it has always been and probably always will be. I'll keep on making music, likely in the same style. I've been working on some tracks that follow the same idea of black metal with IDM/glitch influences, but it tends to be slightly more melodic. However, the future still remains to be seen. 


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?  


The big deciding moment in my musical tastes came when I was 13. After hearing Windir, I was sold on the extremer side of metal. That said, I do enjoy a very large selection of genres. Ranging from metal to ambient, IDM, drum 'n bass, neurofunk, folk music, americana, new wave, techno.. I can't honestly imagine liking only one kind of music. Different genres have a different 'goal' when listening to it, achieve different things in the listener.


Lately, I have been enjoying Turia's 'Degen van Licht' a lot. Akhlys most recent release is absolutely killer as well. 


When it comes to non-metal, I'm still listening to a lot of Lorn and Access to Arasaka. 


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?  


Just a word of thanks I guess. To the people who've listened to my music, to those who have left my their thoughts on it. To Onism Productions for believing my music is good enough for release. To Order ov the Black Arts for being a fantastic community.

No comments:

Post a Comment