Monday, November 23, 2020

Imha Tarikat Interview

 


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording and release of the new album?


Hello! I am continuously working on new songs. So, after recordings for “Sternenberster” were finished and the album was handed to mix/master, I started preparing for the next album. Recordings for this one started in early October this year.


2.In August you had released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


It still spreads the same ideal: Passion bursting with no laws! The greatest change, or let me say progress, has been on a personal level in skill and expression. Producing Sternenberster meant getting deeper into recording and learning to transcribe my thoughts with even more rousing emotions.


3.On the new album you covered psychoanalysis and dream interpretation', can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics and lyrically where you influenced by the writings of Freud or Jung both of who are considered pioneers in this topic?


While in all honesty I by far am not a too well-read person in these topics, I enjoy having my share of  thoughts about them. Freud indeed was an inspiration for me within ranges however, what initially intrigued me were the philosophies of causality, which simplified are teachings about cause and effect. It helped me gaining more awareness about feelings and behaviour.


4.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have explored over the years with your music?


Violence - Abstract Meta-Physics – Emotions -  Modified Theistic Tellings – There are no limits to it. I enjoy writing lyrics in different approaches, sometimes in rhyme schemes with kind of a ritualistic flair to them or proclamations, observations a.s.o.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


Depicted is the Sternenberster. A being that ascended to manifestation through suffering. It is of purest devotion and determination, born to terminate every  foul star in its cosmos - A reaper of dissonance and failed ideals.


It is based on the concept of the album and was done by my friend Arturo known as Cold Poison.


6.In the beginning you started out as a solo project but over the years have also added other musicians on the recordings and session musicians for the live performances, what was the decision behind going into this direction?


I think it is just how things evolved. I still do all songwriting, but for recording tight and creative drums my skills are just not good enough. So working with a complementing session musician is the most logic move. I certainly would enjoy working with someone long-term, but my principles and demands are strict and do not allow any lacking. If I would find me not catching up to them myself one day,  for example, I would rather disband the project than destroy its intensity... 


7.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?


You don’t know what you will get, except it definitely will be fierce! We did not perform live a lot up to now but the most important appearance we had to me was our live-debut at Beyond the Gates Festival in Bergen. It unveiled to me a part of myself I never knew in such measures. It is like trying not to get suffocated by the rapid shift of emotions bursting out of you.


8.The band names and some of the earlier song titles have Turkish names, what role does Turkish culture play in your music?


I am proud of my heritage and origin but it always has been secondary to me, and the music itself is not driven by any personal views or cultural aspects. I enjoy experimenting with the range of possibilites I have to transmit emotions. That’s why I also wrote the whole lyrics for “Sternenberster” in German for example, a great language to form heroic and passionate words.


9.The new album was released on 'Prophecy Productions' and 'Lupus Lounge', how would you compare working with these labels to your previous labels 'Vendetta Records' and 'Terratur Possessions'?


It is quite a difference when it comes to organisation and execution. While Vendetta and Terratur Possessions are each run by one person with who you planned with everything, you suddenly find yourself talking to a dozen different people, haha. This makes working more exciting, efficient and strengthens the feeling of being part of community, especially when the people are great too. However, I definitely see myself working with DIY labels in the future again, most probably with other projects though. I highly praise their hard work and dedication  - They are the reason why underground musicians are being heard out and get a chance to grow while staying authentic to themselves. I would like to express my gratitude to Ole and Stefan at this point.


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


So far it has been highly positive. Long time friends and listeners did enjoy the musical progress in veins of previous releases and new people came joining along too. Some people also expressed to me how much the music moved them, which means everything to me. It is all I wish for; Touching hearts.


-And surely, there are people who did not enjoy it at all, which is absolutely fine. Art is a vessel of controversy.


11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


There are some more releases planned for the future, lots of ideas and songs. These I definitely want to realise! Other than that: Let us just see where this path will lead us to.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


While being actively creative with Imha Tarikat I mostly try listening to music that has not too much to do with the approach of the project. To me, this makes it more genuine and creative. There is no band or music I probably would call to be a direct influence on what I do, that is just not how it works for me. But ideal-wise I can call Dissection and The Devil’s Blood as inspiring.


To name bands/musicians that come to my mind I highly enjoyed during the creative period of Sternenberster: Beast Milk, Erik Satie, Müslüm Gürsez, Ayyur, Wice and more. So I listened to a lot of different stuff. Right now I find myself intrigued by Dark Jazz and Dark Ambient.  


 


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


At war with a passionless world  -  Join us if you feel vocated to! Also, please take your time to have a listen into associate bands “Hexer” and “The Night Eternal”. Thank you for this interview.


 


 www.facebook.com/imhatarikat

www.instagram.com/imhatarikat
www.prophecy.de/artists/imha-tarikat

No comments:

Post a Comment