Saturday, November 28, 2020

Taur-Im-Duinath Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?


Imagine yourself at the threshold of a great, dark and unexplored forest. Imagine the sense of wonder, curiosity and awe assailing you. The feeling of wandering with no destination, lost among the trees, that's what Taur-Im-Duinath is about. It is a multilayered sonic endeavour, dense with melancholy and a sense of longing transpiring in the music.


 2.Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past? 


It differs in every way from my previous album. This release is a collection of two different sides of Taur-Im-Duinath, each taking a different path from “Del Flusso Eterno” (first album).

The black metal sides of the work is somewhat less refined and more savage, while the folk/neofolk side is different just by definition.


3.One half of the album is black metal while the other half is neo-folk, can you tell us a little bit more about making a double album that is divided into 2 different musical styles? 

 

“The Burning Bridges” consists of two parts, divided in two cds. It is a ceremony of opposites.

The first half, “Randir”, is a completely revisioned version of my first demo. It represents the most savage side of Taur-Im-Duinath, with its primordial and fierce black metal songs.

“Bare Boughs”, the other half, is a somewhat mellower , stripped down side of the project. I wanted to express myself in a more intimate and essential way. 

The two sections are not, as would appear, contraries, but “complementary opposites” as Blake would say. They ultimately concur to the same whole.



4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored over the years with your music? 


Taur-Im-Duinath is and always will be about the forces of Nature and its allure, taking inspiration from its beauty, from its magic and mysticism.



5.I know that the bands name comes from the writings of J.R.R Tolkien, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in his writings? 


Yes, I took inspiration from the writings of the Professor regarding the name of the project. He is my favourite author, and not enough words would ever be sufficient to express how much beauty lies in his works. I instantly fell in love with “The Lord of the Rings” of course, but what got me enchanted was “The Silmarillion”, from which I took the name.

Although, the name is the only thing concerning Tolkien in this band, this was not an attempt of yet another “Tolkien Black Metal” project.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


The cover is a photo taken by my dear friend Marco Alfieri, one of the most talented photographer I know. Fire is the red thread of the release. Fire cleanses, purifies, and reduces everything to its essence, leaving behind the superflous



7.On the albums you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians in the studio or do you prefer to work solo? 


I record everything by myself, but in this instance I had the pleasure of having various guests, in the second cd, “Bare Boughs”, the afore mentioned Marco Alfieri also singed on “Clearing Path”, Dario Guarino (Aged Teen) on “Night Hymn”, and Chiara Minniti (Writ In Water) on “Hyades”. They contributed with their voice, taking the songs to another level completely.


8.What are some of the best shows that you have done with the live line up and also how would you describe your stage performance? 


We only started playing live for two years, but I can safely say that the best show was the very first one, held at Cult of Parthenope Black Metal Fest in Caserta. Opening for bands such as Cult of Fire, Sur Austru and Selvans was a huge honor. The venue was packed from the very beginning (and we were the very first band playing), and it was really liberating, and cathartic, to finally play those songs live. It is a moment I will always cherish, and hold close to my heart.


9.The new album was released on 'Cult Of Parthenope', how would you compare working with them to your older label 'Dusktone'? 


Just to be clear : I have not signed for the label Cult Of Parthenope, but we arrenged to publish this particular double release (which is not an “album” in the literal term). I am still in the Dusktone roster, with which I will release my second album.


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


The reaction was good in general, I was and still am humbled by the response of the public.


11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future? 


Hopefully as I see myself in the present: devoted to music and its creation.


12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? 


No straight answer here, as my tastes are various like my mood, but anyway, I could draw a line of the essential and most profound influences on me, the foremost being Agalloch, followed by Ulver, Mgla, Panopticon...

Right now I'm trying to follow all the beautiful releases of the year, but also discovering stuff from the past.

Right now I'm very into the new Wayfarer, Akhlys , Auðn and a couple new projects called Lure, from France, and the other called Silver Knife. Really good stuff.

I was driven crazy by the new Ulver, and also loved the new Sangre De Muerdago and Hexvessel, while I'm discovering new stuff like Lux Interna, Burial Hex or Western Skies Motel.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thank you for the interesting questions, and thank you to all the reader. Keep wandering.

No comments:

Post a Comment