Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Fugit Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?


I formed Fugit back in 2014 and it is basically an overthinking machine. Existence can be really overwhelming if you stop and think about it, to the point that even the little things would pierce a hole through my brain. I found out that putting these feelings into something, like music, really helped me get some form of relief.

That's why I think the phrase: "Formed in 2014 as a way to cope with the human condition" really captures the essence of what Fugit is.


2.Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


With "maze on skin", I wanted to go directly to the point, hence the heavier sound. Melody is still a very important part of my music that I will never abandon, but I felt like it was missing some raw energy. I think that with every release I get closer and closer to what the sound of Fugit should be. Slowly evolving, until it's death.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the newer music and also how would you describe your progress as songwriters over the years?


The lyrical topics are pretty much the same from the beginning of the project: overthinking stuff, science, and personal experiences. The only difference is that most of my lyrics from the first two albums were written in my native language, Italian. A choice that I completely abandoned in the third album, which consists of lyrics only in English.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Fugit'?


It comes from the Latin phrase "Tempus Fugit", which can be translated to "time flies", implicating the irremediable end that all of us will have to face one day. A concept that I have been quite obsessed with since I was a child.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


That's a picture of me smiling. But it's censored in a way that makes it weird. That kind of censure is usually used for criminals and convicts, and faking a smile, pretending to be okay, and even doing the part of the "funny friend" while everything inside of you rots, feels like a crime.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience working with a full band?


Yes, I had more than one band in the past. But I found out that working alone for me is probably the best, at least for now.


7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


I had offers, but I always refused, I'm not sure why. Probably because deep down I always want to try and do everything by myself, like a stubborn idiot. Maybe in the future things will change, we shall see.


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of post-black metal?


I'd say pretty good so far, since the very first album most of the positivity I receive comes from Russian fans.


9.What is going on with 'Ishyara' these days?


Nothing going on actually. All three of us have taken different paths in life and we live quite far from each other. Working with them was quite fun and inspiring, but I don't think there will be a second chapter to that story.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I will always be composing for Fugit, and I already have some ideas and material that didn't make it on "maze on skin". So a new fourth album will most definitely out in the next couple of years.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I listen to a lot of different musical genres, metal would probably not even be the first one, and therefore I have a ton of band and musicians that influenced me throughout the years, it would be impossible for me to cite them all.

The bands that inspired me in starting Fugit probably were: Lifelover, Alcest, and Sopor Aeternus (probably one of my favorite artists).


Nowadays, looking at some of the new releases of this past year, I'm listening to a lot of Holy Fawn, "Doom hologram" from Scarypoolparty, and "Gryningsvisor" from Ofdrykkja.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Yes, I would just like to thank you for having me here and thank all the people that supported me so far.

♫ Bandcamp ♫
♫ Spotify ♫
♫ Apple Music ♫
♫ Deezer ♫
♫ Tidal ♫
T-Shirts & Merch - Official Webstore
CDs
Instagram
Facebook
Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment