Saturday, September 17, 2022

Catacombes Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


Catacombes is a black metal band, initially created in France in 2016 as a one man band. After settling in quebec I decided to look for other musicians. The French lyrics, tell the mischiefs of a drunkard possessed by the devil at the beginning of the 20th century, who took up residence in the catacombs.



2.Recently you have released a new full length, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


"Des glaires et des briques" is much more nuanced than previous releases.

"Le Démoniaque" can be off-putting for some people (not much changes between each track, except for "Pompe Funèbre", the only mid-tempo track on the album. "Acueille le Diable" offers a little more changes and originality.


Here the new album is much more elaborate.

First at the composition level, with mid-tempo pieces like "La Bête d'Acier" and its groovy bass, "La Brume" and its melancholic clean guitar arpeggios.

Others are faster with always something interesting to offer, like the addition of a few solos or on the track "Les Âmes Oubliées" with its kind of walking bass on the main riff.

If you want to get a quick overview of what the album has to offer, listen to "Cathédrale". This track alone sums up everything you can find on the album!


As for the lyrics, they are deeper, more varied also with more important themes than simple misdeeds of the Démoniaque. Overall, it's darker.



3.This is also your first released in 4 years, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during this time frame?


Nothing special, covid hasn't really affected plans or anything else. We did some few gigs before the pandemic and another one last fall. I didn't have too much time to devote to Catacombs during that time anyway. 



4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release and also how would you describe your progress as songwriters over the years?


In this album there is more in depths themes. It goes beyond the simple salacious, violent or vulgar stories that can be found in "Le Démoniaque". As I said before, the lyrics are darker this time, more melancholy at times, still a bit violent of course but less vulgar and better written.


I'm more and more comfortable to write lyrics, I try to use different approaches, but I much prefer composition.

On the other hand, Catacombes was born from texts that I wrote, without links at first sight. Then I saw there was something to do with it, I found a background (the drunkard possessed by the devil) and that became the lyrics for the first album. Thereafter, I continued to tell the misdeeds of the Démoniaque and since I try to work out the thing!



5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Catacombes'?


Catacombes, it's simply the landmark, the cache of the Démoniaque. It seemed obvious to me to name the group that way.



6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


I wanted something that represents both drunkenness and murder, that people know what to expect. The corkscrew knife is the perfect object to represent this. And I wanted something different from what is usually done, with a layout where the texts are important in the visual. There were a lot of tests before, and it was not intended to be a photograph. I remembered I had an old corkscrew somewhere and in 5 minutes it was done: I put a bottle of wine and the knives on my wooden tv stand and I had my cover, in the middle of the kids evening bedtime rush! 

You know, in the original shot, you can see a Henri Dès CD near the knife and a few toys lying around on the floor, near the bottle at the bottom of the image. Not very trve some will say.



7.The band started out as a solo project, what was the decision behind expanding into a full line up?


It was planned from the beginning, but the departure for Canada too. So I waited to move here to find other people. And it happened quickly. The best part is also finding a drummer near you (in quebec, where it's very large) with a very good jam room and everything you need to record, it's royal.



8.Originally the band was from France but now resides in Canada, can you tell us a little bit more about the move?


Well, it's a personal reason, to settle down, start a family here with my wife.



9.Has the band done any live shows or open to the idea?


Yes, we did some gigs. During the Messe des Morts in 2018, it was our first show. Then others mainly in Montreal and another in Toronto. Our last show was at the Messe des Morts in 2021 and our next will be this fall... In Montreal again ahah. For next year we hope to do some more elsewhere in quebec at least.



10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


The reactions are generally good, but I don't pay too much attention to it, so I can't tell you more!



11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


I can tell you that the next Ep is already written and composed and that it will remain in line with the album, in a more furious way. After that, we will see according to the texts that I will have, because I generally write before starting to compose, it guides me for the composition in a way.



12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that you are currently listening to nowadays?


These days I'm listening to, Seth, Spectral Wound, Outre Tombe, Hollywood Burns... But the bands that I love is Metallica, Mastodon, Thy Catafalque, Twisted Sister, Sargeist, Summoning, Primus, Queens of the Stone Age, Windir etc



13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thank you very much for this interview, thank you reader, and I hope you enjoy our latest album!

Bandcamp
Facebook
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment