Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Esox Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

I came up with the concept of Esox during the pandemic of 2020, I have been a musician for more than a decade and always wanted to write my own music. I envisioned a “Proto Esox” project around 2018, but nothing ever came from it; it was just standard atmospheric black metal that talked about forests, something I never found personal and inspiring. On the other hand, marine biology has always been my other biggest passion alongside music, so when I started writing songs again in 2020 I knew that was the right path to take.


2.You have an ep coming out in October, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

The EP consists of only one song, that is almost half an hour long; at its core it’s atmospheric black metal with post rock influences. The concept behind it is very cinematic and is meant to be approached as it was a story, with a slow crescendo and a climax, without spoiling much I can say that there are both blast beats, doom metal riffs, sweep picks and dreamy clean guitar tones.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?

Esox’s themes can be summarized in “depression, nihilism and underwater inhabitants”. I talk about cinematic naturalistic scenery, personal events that impacted me and I also write poetry about fish and other marine animals.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Esox'?

It’s the name of the genus in which the Northern Pike belongs (Esox lucius), I was always fascinated with freshwater fish and I admit that, sharks aside, they are way more interesting than saltwater fish. The pike is basically what a grizzly bear is for a forest, an apex predator and the embodiment of the cold river aesthetic, which is what I aim to picture with my music.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

The artwork depicts a statue made in honor of Pablo Pino, a man who died rescuing two girls from drowning; the statue can be found in my hometown in Sicily, of course I always had a deep connection with it. I think the first time I remember realizing how truly powerless we are compared to the sea was when being told about the story of the statue as a kid. 


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

Esox is a deep personal project and I like having full control over the writing process, but for the future projects I will have a friend of mine do all the vocals, I truly hate singing! 

On the other hand, I wouldn’t mind doing some live shows eventually, so working with session musicians isn’t out of the picture, but when it comes to writing Esox is exclusively a one-man band.


7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

At the moment I am fine staying independent and since I still have to release anything I haven’t received any offers for a contract; but it’s something I will ponder when the right time comes.


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal?

So far outside of my close friends group only webzines and few other musicians I have met at festivals have listened to Esox, they liked it but of course I would question their neutrality!

 

9.Do you have any experience playing in any other bands or musical projects?

I have and I didn’t like it. I’m fine by myself, but I would like to start a few side projects to experiment with other genres, like synthwave.

 

10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I have a full length that is almost ready and is just missing the vocals before going into the production stage. Actually “…and the Ocean” was supposed to be the second release, but I figured that debuting with an LP is hazardous and it would have taken at least another year to release anything. After the album is released I will take in consideration the idea of playing live, but only time will tell. 


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Agalloch of course is my main inspiration, as they are my favorite band of all time. Other bands that inspire me are Deafheaven, An Autumn for Crippled Children, Ahab, Oh Hiroshima, Wayfaerer, G!YBE, The Ocean Collective. In general Atmospheric Black Metal and Post Rock are my main genres, but I also like to mix it with Doom, shoegaze, neo folk and electronic. Nowadays I actually listen to very few metal, as I grew really tired of it and I started digging into more post rock and finding new genres such as new wave, hardcore hip pop and Italian songwriting, I truly suggest you listen to Franco Battiato, definitely my biggest non-metal inspiration. 


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you so much to the Occult Black Metal Zine staff for having me and I hope you enjoy the EP!


BANDCAMP: https://esoxblack.bandcamp.com/album/and-the-ocean-will-swallow-us-all

INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/esox_black_metal/

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61551205601670


No comments:

Post a Comment