Sunday, December 20, 2020

0-Nun Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

R: Well, I am a Portuguese expat living in Brazil since early 2019. I have been playing experimental Black Metal for about 5 years now, mainly through my main project Salqiu, with which I already have a “significant” discography. Meanwhile this year, a couple of months into the pandemic and in complete lockdown, my mind started wandering more into depressive thoughts and about what would be if nothing was real. I started imagining the “complete absence”, the true idea of void. That theme, with the need to try some new musical approaches led me to create 0-Nun. From that point on, all started becoming clear in my head: the concept and the way to express it musically. I can’t say that the final result is what I imagine at first, because of the specific creative process that I use, but it is close enough 

  

2.In 2020 you had released 3 ep's, musically how do they differ from each other?

R: The idea behind the EP’s was always that they would complement each other, both lyrically and musically. I always intended them to be a conceptual trilogy, and that was always the driver. As I started recording them, some elements were kept throughout the whole thing, but some started to differ a bit. I do believe that the final part is more “second wave of BM” oriented than parts 1 and 2. But the track construction follows a common structure and I used common elements in all 3 parts, namely the symphonic passages, the use of some mellotron and choirs, and some playing techniques, which are present in all parts. 


3.You also had a 3 part trilogy with these recordings, can you tell us a little bit more about the concept?

R: Like said, the idea was always for the 3 EP’s to become a conceptual journey. The lyrics are all about interpretations of the void, the absence, the idea of inexistence. I tried to use the lyrics as if they are provided from a personal perspective as result of deep meditation (a nervous, enraged meditation) but in a way where they could be transported into a collective/shared meaning. To be more direct, I wanted the lyrics to be something that various people in the same psychological conditions would feel as if representing their own feelings, something they could relate to. This always within a state of deep consciousness that the meditation provide. 

My perception is that the various types of shamans around the world, despite their different cultures and experiences, do share the understanding that true consciousness is something that is achieved individually but that is sharable in a collective way. Meaning that despite individuality, there are “higher truths” that are singular. 

Musically, the concept has always been the creation of atmospheric Black Metal with some twists, running away from the clichés of the genre. Even when I try to play more direct BM, I always end up adding some uncanny elements to it. It’s in my musical genes, like a curse.    



4. A lot of your lyrics also cover occult and shamanism themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?

R: My objective was to address the idea of void and nothingness in a philosophical way, trying to use a narrative that would combine cosmology with personal sentiments and feelings in a “shamanic” way. I try to present personal thoughts that occur while in a state of meditation in a way that people can relate to, allowing those thoughts to be collective.

In a different perspective, the idea is also to try and picture the notion of inexistence in a conscious way, which by itself is a countersense.  


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name '0-Nun'?

R: The name 0-Nun is based in the conceptual lyricism that I wanted to implement, namely in what concerns the feelings of nothingness and the attempt of putting the idea of void and absence of being into words. In ancient Egyptian mythology, Nun means “primeval waters” from which the creation was began, therefore 0-Nun (zero nun) is the absence of it. This totally fit the lyrical theme I wanted to address.

As a bonus, 0-Nun is actually also an anagram of my real name… 


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep and compilation covers?

R: The artwork in the album to be released by Brucia Records has been created by the artist that works in collaboration with the label, even if based in a black and white picture that I provided. It’s a black hole that contrasts with the colorful and blissful surroundings and absorbs it. It’s nothingness feeding on existence.

Each EP presents a type of shaman from around the world. There’s an Indian Ascetic, an Amazon Shaman and a Tibetan Monk – all representing the holders of “higher collective knowledge” achieved through different methods of meditation and life experience. This is in close relation with what I was trying to achieve lyrically, as explained in my answer to question 3.


7.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?

R: I always prefer to have people collaborating with my music, either as guest musicians like in Salqiu where every album has guests, or as in another project that I am involved in – Thermohaline – which is a full collaborative work with 2 other musicians and therefore not solo.

The circumstances behind this trilogy were very specific and the EP’s were recorded in a way where there was neither time, nor did I felt the need to have other people involved. They also represent the specifics of the time when it was recorded: the solitude of the pandemic lockdown.

I intend to work a lot more on 0-Nun, and I do have plans to have guests on it, so that means that this trilogy was completely solo but does not mean that will always be. 


8.Recently 'Brucia Records', released your trilogy as a compilation, can you tell us a little bit more about this version?

R: Brucia Records release is the complete trilogy. Each one of the 3 EP’s had 3 tracks and had an equal time of 22 minutes and 22 seconds. This compilation is, actually, not a compilation but a complete release of the combined EP’s.

Brucia approached me in late November, showing me their interest in releasing the complete trilogy and presented me some cool ideas for doing it, so it was really a no-brainer for me. Very cool label with a great roster, so it was a privilege for me. 


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

R: That is one hard question. I honestly don’t know. Have had some good feedback from local sites and vlogs in Brazil, but I do not have a clear idea about the real exposure of 0-Nun at a worldwide level. To be honest it is something that is not a driver for me. I just want to make music because it is a cathartic and healing process for me. If people like it, it obviously makes me feel really great, but it’s not what makes me continue.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

R: I will go with the flow. I make music because I like it, as a hobby and as a creative expression. It has never been about money or exposure. So I'll just continue doing it that way and see what comes from it. I do have plans to release a 0-Nun follow up in 2021, but again, I’ll do it my way and as a result of what will be my feelings at the moment of recording. And I will try my best to never fall into the trap of making music “up to the expectations”, because that normally ruins the fun of free creativity. 


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

R: In the specific case of 0-Nun, mostly avant-garde Black Metal and atmospheric BM. In a wider perspective, all metal since the 80’s because that’s when I started listening to it. I’ve been listening to metal since the mid 80’s (yes, I’m that old)

Currently I’ve been listening to tons of Death and Black Metal. I could say that bands like Lychgate, Sjálfsmorð af Gáleysi, Schammasch, Mephorash, Blut Aus Nord, Wills Dissolve, Esoctrilihum, Panzerfaust, Afsky, Anaal Nathrakh, A Forest of Stars, ID:Vision, Almyrkvi, Beltez, Iku-Turso, Bríi, Vukari, Rebirth of Nefast and all projects by Naas Alcameth (Ahklys, Aoratos, Nightbringer, Bestia Arcana) are those that mean more to me as musical muses.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

R: I want to thank you for this opportunity to allow me to explain some of the ideas and characteristics behind 0-Nun. Would obviously also take this opportunity to ask those that like 0-Nun to check my other projects, namely Salqiu (which is more experimental and every album is completely different from the previous) and Thermohaline, the collaboration with the guys behind IER (from Argentina) and Druon Antigon (from Belgium).

No comments:

Post a Comment