Monday, December 21, 2020

Heiinghund Interview

 

1.Can you hive us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?



Not much musically actually. Right after it was finished my studio pc broke down. Also it it quite normal for me to take a break after an album is made. In the process of making this album I made more than 40 songs which only 19 made it to the album. Making Heiinghunds music is a spiritual process and it takes a lot of energy to be a channel for Heiinghund. Heiinghund is an entity that first presented himself when we recorded Folkloric Necro Metal. So I don't make the music myself, rather than being a channel for the entity known as Heiinghund.





2.Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?



Dealing with the concept of time, both as entities and physical presentation, also reflects in the music. It was necessary to mirror these dimensions both into the music and into the mixing. You can say that it differs in depth and also complexity. Complexity in the form of the many layers and nuances that is expressed into the music. Some of them are very subtle and they do not disclose themselves at the first listen. Some of them are just emotions and hints that need to be discovered by the listener and translated to his or hers own mythical landscape. A lot is hidden and needs to be sought to be found.



3.The lyrics on the new recording are a concept album, can you tell us a little bit more about the story you cover with this release?



As already mentioned the album is dealing with the past, future and inbetween. In the Norse mythology these are not only a measure for time but living entities with their own expression and significance. Through the album they come alive and tell their story. A story concerning nature's anger against humanity for their senseless destruction with time as a witness. There are forces in nature that might be long forgotten by those who don't know. But if provoked enough they will go into war with humanity. At the same time these forgotten creatures are telling us about another time, when they walked among us being what they are. Forces of nature, Both the musical, lyrical and visual expression is laden with symbols, hints, references and meanings that aren't easily discovered. Nor should they be.





4.A lot of your lyrics also cover Norse Paganism, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?


Paganism is for me a way of living. It is part of my blood heritage and is written deeply into our culture. Norway isn't as christian as some people want to believe. The church has sought to eradicate this and thus uprooted us. A three without roots will fall in the first storm. Bringing the heritage and the culture to the new generations is an important work. The blood remembers, so both lyrically and in the music those strings are sought to vibrate in the listener.




5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Heiinghund'?


The entity Heiinghund first presented itself in 94 and I believe it was Nidhogg who named him, The name translated means Heathen Hound.



6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


Vinterheim SKS is the only artist that truly understands Heiinghunds demented visions and are able to express them visually. Her artwork creates a symbiosis with the music and adds depth to the dimensions. All the way since Sort Vokter, Heiinghund has been pushing borders, or rather not giving a damn in what the approved standards are. This reflects also in the artwork Vinterheim SKS has done. It is so dark that the record companies have problems accepting them. Actually I recently turned down an offer from a record company because they wouldn't accept it. Stubborn maybe to insist on full artistic freedom both for me and Vinterheim SKS. But pushing borders has often been what creates new definitions. Much like the music, the secrets in the artwork have to be unwrung. They are not willingly giving themselves up at first glance. It is like a story where the listener or viewer will understand the context differently according to each one's language and initiation of myth.




7.With this project you record everything by yourself but also have experience working with other musicians ,how would you compare the two? Recording alone means that I really allowing Heiinghund to take over in full. Letting him come forward to the full extent makes the process more fluent. Whilst making music I am not very present except for the technical part of pushing buttons. Making music with others means making sacrifices in most occasions, also you cannot allow the trance or possession to become that deep. Both things have their strength I guess. Each way has its own dynamics that creates a different outcome. I am not ruling out that in an unforeseen future there will be cooperation with others, but if and when I don't know. The possibility has been discussed.



8.After 1994 you disappeared for more than 20 years after your previous band 'Sort Vektor', can you tell us a little bit more about leaving the musical world and making a comeback after a couple of decades? Disappearing from the scene was a natural progress of life I guess, I went away to school and then one thing catched another. The comeback was as much of a surprise to me as to others. It started out with me missing old school straightforward blackmetal and then I wanted to see if I still had it in me. And there he was, Heiinghund rerepresented himself. For a long time I thought that this was just making music for myself, but I guess Heiinghund had other plans since I am now on my third album.



9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


There has been interest both from labels and from fans. Nidhogg is also «nagging» me to release in physical format. However I am not the easiest to cooperate with meaning that I am unbendable when it comes to artistic freedom. That has led me to turn down offers. But I am in contact with a german label that so far has been most understanding. But that's what you get when you meet people who are in it for the music. Experience has led me to realize that before the physical product is in my hand I do not take anything for granted. So I cannot confirm anything at this stage.



10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


The raw and primitive type of blackmetal that is Heiinghund, are extremely narrow, even for blackmetal. Although the reactions to Urðrs brønn seems to have reach further than previous releases. It is surely getting more feedback from listeners than usual. It's still a fresh release so it's a bit early to say yet. Some of the feedback I have gotten is that it is nice to see that someone is still making straightforward old school black metal. Like me they have missed this in the scene.



11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future? I have no way of knowing this. There are too many unknown factors. I really don't have any ambitions other than making music. Heiinghund is pretty much in control of what's happening. It might be over tomorrow or there might be new projects coming. Certainly this also gives a lot of freedom. There is no pressure or expectations that need to be met.



12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? It might not be a surprise that classical music has been an inspiration, but then again it already was in Sort Vokter. It is obvious in for example tårers sang. Music that creates contrast intrigues me, that is both beautiful and ugly at the same time. Or simplistic and complex at the same time. I don't have to be a genre or a specific band. Although a lot is happening with Norse mythological music at the time that strikes a chord in me. Wardruna is probably the more known of them. I admire their work in revitalizing Norse culture.


Bandcamp
Instagram
Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment