Thursday, June 13, 2013

Dhampyr Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
I started Dhampyr when I was 16 back in 2007, and for six years it’s been a primary interest of mine and mind.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
The music of needles scanning the vein for focus, for closure.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music/
Drugs, literature, nature. I’ve always been interested in the psycholinguistics of things, especially exploring common and uncommon drug interactions – there’s a lot of psychotropic value in many herbs and medicines, and I think a lot of it translates well into the music.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the band names?
That’s a relatively personal question which I choose not to answer.
5. Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain a duo?
Dhampyr has more than once been a 2-piece band; in 2011, I employed the services of my friend Ronald Andruchuk (Graveside Service, Wolfbane Blues) to handle drums for the recording of that year’s full-length, White Fire Laudanum. Initially, I intended to keep the project focused on just my own artistic exploits, but consequently these were the same things that got in the way. It was in early 2013 that I found E (Aerugo) to handle bass, as I was simply looking for something fresh. I imagine that the line-up will stay this way for a period of time, though a new drummer isn’t out of the question.
6. In a period of 4 years the band has released plenty of music, is this going to continue this way in the future?
Really, I have these manic episodes where my productivity peaks, and I remain focused on the project for long draughts. This has never been a consistent element in the band. I go six months without producing anything, only to return and produce a series of demos, EPs, albums, etc.
7.According to the Metal Archives page, the band is signed to Prison Tatt, can you tell us a little bit about about this label?
I’m not sure of the status or legitimacy of that anymore; Prison Tatt, though, is a great label putting out the best in noise, punk, and black metal on a small, local, and independent scale. Wm. Berger, the headrunner, is a great person and if you enjoy Dhampyr’s work, be sure to check out the other artists from that label (just recently, Moloch (UKR), released an EP which was very good!).
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal and ambient?
Usually revered. Or not, I’m not too sure. I’m not terribly interested to know the fate of my records, or to take out any sort of insurance policy on them. They stand where they stand, and if they appeal to somebody, that’s fantastic.
9. What is going on with the other musical projects these days?
Nothing too interesting; I have an acoustic project on hiatus, as well as a dark ambient and black ambient project kicking around somewhere. I’m not too occupied by these bands. They don’t mean much.
10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases/
I think the release of 2013’s “All the Dead Dears” is a good indication of where the project is headed.
11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Older Striborg, Manes, Leviathan, Burzum, etc. Mostly authors and books, though; most of my work references particular lines of verse or excerpts of novels; see Nabokov, Gogol, Rabelais, Bukowski, du Maurier, Ginsberg, Plath, S. Jackson, etc. I’ve been listening to a lot of symphony music lately; other than that, Leonard Cohen, Marissa Nadler, Espers, The Doors, Bill Fay all come to mind.
12. How would you describe your views on Occultism?
Ask me that on LSD.
13.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Drugs.
14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks for the interest in the project!

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment