Monday, March 25, 2019

Драгшанъ Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Yes. Well the idea of Dragshan(Драгшанъ) appeared in my mind in the very end of 2014. I just felt the need of expressing myself and my musical visions in an extreme manner. I wanted it to be a one-man band. So it happened. The project is based in Bulgaria and its purpose is to compose and record music in Bulgarian.

2.So far you have released 2 ep's, musically how do they both differ from each other?
I think the first EP serves as a prealudium for the second. Although the emotions in them both are connected. The first one - Въжделения - consists of three songs, each in a different mood. The second - Философъ - doubles the duration of the first and I assume it is more musically complex and has a more concentrated meaning as a whole unit, although the styles in the songs and instrumentals within are really diverse.

3.Your lyrics cover philosophical themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?
Yes. The lyrics of Драгшанъ are philosophically orientated. I am really tired and fed up of all the satanic concept in black and death metal. I am more of Chuck Schuldiner type of thinking person. I really need to write about the essence of life, nature, the never ending questions of humanity, the inner world of man, metaphors for the absordism in our lives. I strive for wisdom and I try to develop my train of thought.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Dragshan'?
Драгшанъ(in Cyrillic) or Dragshan(in Latin) is the Bulgarian governor and ruler of one of the southern most fortresses, called Voden, in the First Bulgarian Empire during the reign of the Bulgarian Tsar Samuil. He was one of those leaders who fought against the Byzantines to the very end, till Bulgaria was finally conquered in 1018 AD. So the name represents the freedom and the never-give-up formula and it also underlines the Bulgarian origin of the author of the musical project.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?
The artwork of the the first EP - Въжделения - is a modified photo made in a place near my hometown(Blagoevgrad), called Bachinovo. The artwork of the second EP - Философъ - is another modified photo of the river which runs through my hometown - the river is called Bistritsa. The font of the letters on both are old Bulgarian Cyrillic letters, since the Cyrillic script was made and designed in Bulgaria in the beginning of the X century AD.

6.With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience playing in bands, how would you compare the 2?
Well it is kinda different. In a band there are several people who compose and work on the music together. As a solo-recorder of everything myself it is much harder to finish everything on the composition and the recordings. You have to play all of the instruments and also sing and scream the vocals, have a perception and conception about everything in a plan and in the end mix and master everything. You have to write the lyrics alone as well. These two things are seriously different.No doubt about it.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
I have thought of finding a label, although I made no effort to do it. Probably I will try in the future. I have only received interest forum a paid promoters where I have no interest.

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?
Well I received some feedback from the fans in my country, in Bulgaria. I also had some feedback from several people from Russia and the USA.

9.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?
Now I am not a part of any band, except of my solo project Драгшанъ. Sources of I we quit. I also left HereAndNow after the drummer did it. Occasionally I record the vocals for a Bulgarian Thrash/Death band called Lucretia. I did it already in two albums. The first one has been released and the second one is about to be released. I played one of the guitar parts and also did the vocals for a short rehearsal period of time for the Bulgarian black metal band Historian.  But then I left due to personal lack of time. The band got a new guitarist and continues well. I also played the bass for three concerts in the band Slave Pit and then I left. I guess that's it.

10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
Now I am pretty busy finishing the exams for my master degree of guitar in the Academy of music in Sofia, Bulgaria. As soon as I finish with it I am starting to work on new material for Драгшанъ and start recording. I really hope that in span of a year maximum I would provide a full-length album. I have an idea to release a single each month of the year and then gather all of the songs in an album. See what it happens. I will do my best.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I am basically a fan of the Scandinavian metal scene. Also some American bands. The Greeks have good bands recently too. I am more into melodic styles of black and death metal. I also really love progressive rock, blues, jazz, fusion, flamenco, classical and folk music. Some of my favourite bands are Death, Dissection, Vinterland, Megadeth and many others. Nowadays I listen to really diverse musical styles and genres. I try not to limit myself.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
History, Anthropology, Ethnology, Philosophy, Literature, Movies, Archaeology.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I just want to wish all the best to the whole humanity.

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment