1. Can you tell is a little bit about this new project?
Mortovatis started in 2008 as a jam band by Uncle J. (Drums), Father W. (Guitar) and St.Pepe (custom sound sources and ocsillators). In Uncle J.’s dungeon, under certain circumstances, we created several tracks that some of them were included in our first three demos. In the end of 2009, we recorded our most bizarre song, Rebirth 349, that was released as a split cd with the most hated and perverted band in black metal, that goes by the name, Dodsferd, by Moribund Records! Soon we are going to record our first full length album.
2. How would you describe the musical style that you are pushing for with this new project?
Our music is definitely not for everyone. We aim to ease the pain of the sick. They are one step to destruction. We want to help them go there as quick as they can. No trouble and pain. Our music combines elements of isolation; destruction of the human soul and psychological stability. It is something like space, doom, drone, black metal. Also, in our new full length album, there will be an introduction of new elements, sicker than the last song.
3. What is the meaning behind the band's name?
Most people wrongly thinks that Mortovatis is a latin word, but it is an ancient greek. Mortovatis was the Charon’s boat, which transferred dead people to “the other side” (the world of the dead).
4. The music that I heard form the Dodsferd split was all improv, are there any plans in the future to include faster riffs or vocals?
The plans for the future is to be alive, all of us in order to create sicker music. Faster riffs, I don’t think so. It all depends in the state of mind we are going to be at the time we will jam. Some vocals will be one of our new elements.
5. What musical direction do you see this project going into on future recordings?
Sicker and sicker. It will not easy to hear this music. Nothing is going to be served with a nice, gentle way from this band.
6. Do you ever have any plans to make this project a live band or is it going to remain a studio project?
Time will show. Now we have to create.
7. How has your music been received so far by extreme music fans worldwide?
There were several feelings about it. Either you hate it, or you love it. But it was something different until now. It gives us strength to be hated.
8. What is going on with the other bands these days?
Recordings, rehearsals and live appearances for Dodsferd and Nadiwrath. Father W. is recording at this time his new full length album with Dodsferd, while Nadiwrath’s debut album is ready to be released by Moribund Records.
9. The split came out on Moribund Records, is this going to be the label that releases your future releases?
We respect a lot Moribund Records. We will see which label is going to release it, when our full length album will be ready. Now, we have to stay focused on our full length album.
10. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have influenced this project?
We are three different people, who listens different styles of music. For example, Uncle J. listens 70’s hard rock, experimental music from 60’s til now, kraut rock and space-rock bands. St.Pepe is more into metal sounds from 80’s plus punk and hardcore stuff. On the other side Father W. is more into extreme sounds…..
11. Any final words or thoughts before we close this interview?
For more details about Mortovatis, you can check our site, www.myspace.com/mortovatis........