Thursday, October 26, 2017

Dauþuz Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?



Glück auf!



Aragonyth: At the beginning of 2016, when things with other bands were taking shape rather slowly and I got more and more frustrated, I started to work on some ideas that would not have fit in my other bands anyway, so this frustration led to the founding of Dauþuz. Although I recorded everything by myself, I knew that I was in need of a good singer, so I sent two or three rough sketches to Syderyth who instantly liked what he was listening to. So Dauþuz was born and the debut was recorded and released in just a few months.



2.So far you have released 2 albums, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings and also how do they differ from each other?



Aragonyth: It’s always hard to describe your own music. I would say it’s powerful, yet raw-ish and melodic Black Metal with undertones of melancholy; sometimes we pursue rather a hateful approach. The first record was kind of a collection of unused riffs and ideas. Not that it was completely aimless, but I think what you can hear on the second record is the result of the quest we undertook with the first record. “Die Grubenmähre” is more homogeneous, more “Dauþuz”.



3.Your lyrics cover historical mining, can you tell us a little bit more about this topic?



Syderyth: The concept of the lyrics is based on old traditional mining in Germany and Europe through all centuries. The lyrics are filled with German mining terminology, some real historical stories and some fairies. They also tell about some archaic mining work processes. I figured Black Metal to be dark, cold, painful and mining is all this. It’s fitting perfectly to this music genre. It is boring for me to write about the same things everyone else does, like Satan, demons, war and other standard Black Metal themes. Mining is something special and new there. It is really more mysterious than imaginary demons or so.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Daupuz'?



Aragonyth: “Dauþuz” is Germanic for “death”, so the meaning should be pretty obvious, haha. I always liked the sound of that name, so it was a quite quick choice.



Syderyth: I see above, you write DauPuz. It is written DAU”Þ”UZ. This is the old letter “þ” (TH), originated from the Germanic rune “Thurisaz”. Today “þ” is only used in the Icelandic alphabet/language. In the past it was also used in Old-English and Old-High-German. A little example. Write the name of the thundergod “Thor” like “Por”. Por was the son of Oden… not, haha.



5.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding your line up or do you choose to remain a duo?



Aragonyth: Not as a studio-band, no. Dauþuz works just fine the way it is. Both of us have been “stigmatized” by slow-working band-members in several other projects, so it’s just perfect to have a band consisting of members who are dedicated and productive. When it comes to possible future live gigs we would of course have session members. Nothing more, nothing less.



6.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?



Aragonyth: Schattenthron, another band both of us took part in, released a final MCD called “Qwell der Verderbniß” earlier this year, but the band split-up in the final stages of releasing it. Seelenfrost released a full-length in early 2017 and is currently kind of on hold. It might take some time to figure out where the future lies. Idhafels is currently working on a re-recording of the “Procecy of the Seeress”-trilogy, but things are taking shape quite slowly; as usual, haha!



Syderyth: My main band is Wintarnaht. There I write all lyrics in Old-High-German and write all music by myself since 1997. Temporarily it was a real Band with other members and live-members. From 201-2017 we played live, but this is history now. A new band I founded this year is Isgalder. It will be in vein of Bathory or Mayhemic Truth, but with more keyboards and atmosphere. If I feel the lust, I sometimes record Death Metal for my first band Morial. And I do the vocals for Newun, a Pagan Metal project and Vicious Sea, which plays Melodic Doom.



7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?



Aragonyth: For a rather new band we can be pretty satisfied how things are working out. The debut-CD “In finstrer Teufe” sold pretty well and the pre-order for the upcoming sophomore album “Die Grubenmähre” is exceeding our own expectation so far.



8.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?



Aragonyth: We’ll see, we have a couple other songs about 60% done and will be released as an MCD somewhere in 2018 I guess. Besides that we are always collecting material, inspiration and ideas for possible other releases. There are loose talks about another MCD with a rather different approach and of course a third full-length, but both possible releases lay way ahead. We are not done yet, rest assured!



9.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



Syderyth: There are too much to list them here. 90s Black Metal is still one of my favourites. And I still listen to this primilary today. I won´t name some Bands, but there are a few new bands I listen to. Also to acoustic and “native” music.



Aragonyth: Same here, there simply is too much to list. I also listen to Black Metal mainly, but also to several other Metal/Rock/Grunge/Alternative bands, since that’s where my musical interest started decades ago. All in all a good mixture of old and new bands.



10.How would you describe your views on Paganism?



Syderyth: Pagan religions are not a theme in Dauþuz and it will not be. My private view is easy. I do not like the common view on this, with gods, great halls and so on... I believe in what I see and this is pure Nature, I prefer a non-theistic paganism. With praying and begging you cannot achieve nothing. Deeds are the only way. The only God is Nature and we are a part of it. Everyone is his own god. I refer myself more to an older, archaic paganism.



Aragonyth: There is nothing to add here!



11.What are some of your non musical interests?



Syderyth: History and several more things...



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Syderyth: No. Thanks for the interest in Dauþuz and take a listen to our music.




Regards,
A.S. on behalf of DAÞUZ

Bandcamp
Dauþuz Info Forum
Facebook
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment