Thursday, October 19, 2017

Joyless Euphoria Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

 We founded Joyless Euphoria in May 2016. In the beginning, there were three of us, but frankly, our visions didn't align quite as well as I had hoped so I decided to go my own way and record all instruments myself.
After looking for a singer, I ended up talking to Lorand from the Post-Hardcore band False King, who fell in love with the music and decided to handle vocal and lyrics duties, which I think worked out perfectly.

2.Recently you have released your first album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

We play a blend of a various styles culminating in something we like to refer to as Post-Black Metal. Of course we have the blast beats and the harsh vocals, but we also have gazey parts as well as rock and blues solos, and notably, ethereal clean vocals that give the whole thing an otherworldly feel.

We recorded the music with the help of our good friend Robert Gutmann here in Vienna and had it mixed and mastered by Rob Marshall at Canvas in San Francisco.

We think the heavy and intense production really suits the music.

3.You refer to your music as 'Posthuman Black Metal', can you tell us a little bit more about this term?

The term "posthuman black metal" refers to the concept of the album and the lyrics. It is a record about a father who loses his daughter to suicide, dealing with all the emotions that come with this, be that grief or just (trying to) remember the good times.

Losing a child is probably one of the most painful things a person can experience, we tried to put this into music.

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Please refer to Q 3

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Joyless Euphoria'?

Joyless Euphoria is quite the contradiction. In life you stumble through a vast array of emotions, some pleasant, others, not so much. And of course everyone hits these at different frequencies. You can be happy one second and be a total wreck the next. And conversely, even in your deepest depressions you might be able to see a light. We are not a true DSBM band, for that we have far too many positive aspects and melodies in our songs, and we tried to express that when naming the band.

6.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding your line up or do you prefer to work as a duo?

Big time. Works super well. I mean obviously if we ever want to play live we'd get some peepz to fill in but for now this is how we'll keep working.

7.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

I am currently working on composing songs for a second record which is going to have similar vibes as our debut. I'm guessing it'll be done in about 18 months. These things take time, you know ;)
(Thanks for letting me know ;) -Lorand)

8. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I've loved metal since I've heard Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" for the very first time in 1989. Which I bought. On tape. Because I'm an old man.

The more extreme side of Metal took hold of me when I've heard "Ablaze in the Northern Sky" in 1993.

For this Album, my influences ranged from Alcest, Deafheaven and Oathbreaker -- whom I have a lot of respect for -- to old Norwegian black metal from the early 90s.


9.What are some of your non musical interests?

Martin:  Hockey. Love it. Play myself, actually. And, of course my kids.

Lorand: Comedy and video games are my jam, when I'm, you know, not jamming.

10.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

 Thank you so much for giving us a chance. It's incredibly difficult to make people listen these days since there are so many bands out there.

Support us, buy the album or, at the very least, take a listen or two. We put a lot of work into it!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Spotify

No comments:

Post a Comment