ZVIJER was created in mid 2013. by Vožd (guitars) and me (vocals). Band is based in Banja Luka, Republic of Srpska/Bosnia. Along one more band from Sarajevo city we are only black metal bands active currently in this shithole of a country.
2. How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?
That is a sound highly inspired with early Darkthrone albums, black metal from nineties that is in extinction today due to big number of all “orthodox“ “kvlt“ black metal bands and all that modern shits that infested black metal. In our eyes and ears this is how black matel need to sound today. No fancy stuff, just pure raw energy and straight forward attack on listeners ears.
3. Your lyrics cover 'Balkanian dark folklore', can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?
We are from Balkan region (obviously) so we didn’t wanted to go into some religious/anti-religious themes or similar stuff when we have so rich and big source of inspiration right in front of us. Balkan is full of stories about night, night creatures, vampires and ghouls... and they fit perfectly into our music. We incorporate black metal and Balkanian horror tales in one great unity. Since we were kids we listened stories about vampires, night creatures and ghouls from forests around us, so our interests in this theme going way back in our childhood.
4. I know that the bands name means 'beast' in Serbian, how does this name fit in with the musical style that you play?
It fits perfectly, at least from our point of view. In Republic of Srpska is practice to call every dreadfully creature from tales (werewolf, vampire,... etc) simply “beast“. We find that fitting into our circle of interest within band, so we take it for our name, on our native language.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
We didn’t play live with Zvijer, yet.
6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?
There are plans for few selected shows in 2018. to promote our “Vječnost Truleži“ album. We don’t seek to make a tones of shows, it is better to make few selected shows and do them properly, so that we can present our music in high quality performance. Quality over quantity is what we think.
7. The new album was released on 'Werewolf Promotion', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
Album release was delayed few times due the problems with labels who needed to release it on first place. Then Szymon from Werewolf Promotion approached to us with wish to release our album under his label. He offered us reasonable terms for releasing and we accepted it. He honored his part of a deal and he did a great job with release itself.
Also album went out on pro-tape format through the Hungarian label called Iron County Records. Also we had no problems with them either, they made really great job with that release. We are highly satisfied with final results with both formats.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
It is really good, I must say. Since we coming from shithole and our country is not famous with anything except wars, fans around globe accepted us really well.
We have been accepted really well especially with black metal fans from ex-Yugoslavian countries like Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia... also Germanian and Polish black metal fans showed fine level of supporting our work and finding it interesting.
9. What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?
My band Sahrana is on-hold currently. I simply have no time for that right now. Vožd working some re-releases with his project 1389. Insanus play live with Black Cult and he is in process of making a new material for his project called Hibernum. I think that Krvolok also put his project Kult Perunov on-hold currently, but I am not sure about that.
10. Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
It is impossible to give you a precise answer on this question. We already made some new riffs and lyrics that will be on upcoming materials, but I can’t say anything definite about them ’cause they are all in the process of creation. I think we will keep this approach to black metal, to play it in veins of “glorious nineties“ sound, maybe just to experiment a little bit with production. We play this for our enjoyment on first place and we think that we do not need any changes in the views of music and lyrics of ZVIJER.
11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
That would probably be bands like (early) Impaled Nazarene, (early) Sodom, Beherit, (Russian band) Forest, Moonblood, Root,... etc.
These days I am into Anima Damnata’s album “ Nefarious Seed Grows to Bring Forth Supremacy of the Beast“ that is one hell of an album, pure aggression and energy. Also Tom Wait’s album “ Heartattack and Vine“ is in player along Magma Waves album namely “ ...and who will take care of you now“.
12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you for your time and interest in band Zvijer.
“When the sky turns black and the sun fails... the Beast will bear the mark of might OVER DEATH ! ! !“