Tuesday, February 23, 2021

LuZi Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project? LuZi is a one man band project started in 2014 but the first release was only in 2019. The style can be included in the wide description of avantgarde or experimental, but at that time was mainly a mix of raw black metal, neo folk, dark punk and blues. In fact the aim of the project is to craft a mysterious and haunting sound to drive the listener through a land of castles, woods, fog and old palaces that characterize the area of the former Duchy of Parma and Piacenza (northern Italy). 

2.Recently you have released an ep, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past? 

Without shedding any elements of the self titled debut album, this second release extends LuZi's experimentation to a more contemporary sound, more reminiscent of post- metal/post-rock and the trip hop rhythmics. Along with this sonic shift, lyrics moved from legends to personal life and philosophy. 

3.A lot of your lyrics deal with ancestral legends and folk lore themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics? 

I worked many years as professional tourist guide for the area of Parma, and in this period for about three years I was employed in the Castle of Compiano, built in the IX century between the woods of the Appennines mountains. So those kind of topics, along with art and literature in general, were always between my interests. 

4.A lot of your lyrics are written in a Parmesan dialect, what was the decision behind using this language?

 I choose Parmesan because of its sounds: undefinable for who is not used to it. So strange and somehow magic, it contributed to create the mysterious and unique sound I was looking for. As well it's the natural means of expression of the lyrics' topics, based on local tradition, history and landscapes. 

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'LuZi'?

 My grandfather used to say that our family descend from the Middle Age's Luzignoli counts, later on fallen from grace. I don't know if to believe to this story or not, but it was fascinating me enough to give me the idea for the name for this music project. I did a contraction of Luzignoli, Luzi, that could be intended as a contraction of the assonant word Lucifer too. Lucifer is the angel of light and in parmesan dialect luzi means lights. Everything somehow match. 

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover? 

It is the monument in Parma to Filippo Corridoni, martyr of the First World War, represented at the moment in which he is shot to death on the battlefield. In the Ep's cover the figure stand as if pierced by the sun on his back. Therefore completely disregarding the original meaning, for me it somehow represents the light that strikes and hurts, the "good" pain through which one can reach enlightenment, knowledge, awareness. In fact, "Fulminè" in parmesan means "stroke by lightning".

 7.With the exception of a drummer you record everything my yourself, are you open to expanding the line up or do you prefer to work solo? 

I believe I'll go on to work as I did so far. Composing and recording are simultaneous parts in LuZi's creative process, so it's difficult to involve someone else in it. For sure I'll be pleased to collaborate again with Kyoo Nam Rossi on the drums, a good friend of mine and a great musician. He's a member - between many other projects - of Caronte and Forgotten Tomb. 

8.The new ep was released on 'Retro Vox Records', how did you get in contact with this label?

 Retro Vox Records is based in Parma, where I live. I knew that along garage punk and stoner doom - the kinds of music they are mostly focused on - they were open to everything new, especially if with some esoteric content. So trough the typical "friends of friends" way I got in touch with them and we start to work together on LuZi project. Also the previous album - the LuZi debut Lp - was therefore release with this label. 

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of post black metal? 

The reaction has been good. The strange mix of elements that characterize LuZi's music - along with a peculiar image - has sounded interesting for many listeners. Counting that is an "underground" project, LuZi is having a good amount of views and streams on the internet platforms. 

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

 Of course I can't be sure of what my future direction as musician will be. But I can say that with LuZi I'll go on on the same experimental way I walk so far, trying to add always new elements. I am preparing as well a parallel project, more classic punk oriented, still with Retro Vox Records. It should be ready in few months. 

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

 LuZi's music has a lot of different influences. The most important are the one from two Italian bands that have experimented mixing up what came from abroad with local traditions and sound: CCCP - Fedeli alla linea, an Emilian (as me) 80's punk/post punk and Inchiuvatu, a Sicilian Black Metal band. But I can quote the French movement "Les Légion Noires" and the contemporary bands that inspire themselves to that style. Anyway, as I said, the influences are many and really heterogeneous: Sonic Youth, Tiamat, Urfaust, Joy Division, Lifelover, Xasthur, Amesoeurs, Portishead, Tom Waits, Death In June, Crass, Germs, Ulver... and the list could go on. Nowadays I'm always listening to a lot of different kinds of music, but in this period I'm mainly into classical music, experimental electronic and crust punk. 

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

I am glad of the interest LuZi is getting, it is really a challenge to bring on a project like this, quite out of the grid. All the support I can get is really welcome, so I'd like to thank your zine for the interest in my work and of course all the listeners that want to give a chance to my music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aZSb_d2tQs

https://luzi.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/LuZimusic 

No comments:

Post a Comment