Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Varanak Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?


 


Varanak started out after the dissolution of my previous band. It went through many incarnations with different members and playing different types of music. Finally, a few years ago I decided to just go at it alone. 


 


2.So far you have released a demo and an album, musically how do they differ from each other?


 


The Demo represents earlier work, stuff written as far back as 2018. Musically I think it shares certain similarities to Relics but is more reflective of what I was listening to and feeling at the time. Relics of Mourning is composed mostly of material written after the demo, with the ending of "Aconites and Marigolds" written only a few months before I recorded it. I think there are some stylistic and thematic similarities between the two, but I think writing on Relics of Mourning is better. 


 


 


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with your music?


 


For Varanak, I try to stick to more personal lyrics, whether it be observations and reflections on my own experiences. Бога нет is the exception to that, where the lyrics are more occult. Other themes include death, depression, substance use, maybe some more philosophical things thrown in.


 


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Varanak'?


 


The origin of the name is funny. I used to live in Upstate New York, and I used to drive through this town Varna. I thought it was cool and I tweaked the word around a little.


 


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


 


Sure, it's mostly a reference to the first song. The purple and orange flowers represent the color Wolf's Bane and Marigolds respectively. Sometimes those flowers are used in funeral floral arrangements.


 


6.With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience working with other musicians in your previous band, how would you compare the two?


 


Things move slower alone. Smoother, but slower haha. I don't mind writing alone. It's just been a work in progress when it comes to writing and getting what ideas I have in my head recorded. I occasionally work with people still. I usually have one of my friends lay down drums or add keyboards. 


 


7.In March 'Brucia Records' are re-issuing your current release with 2 bonus tracks, how did you get in contact with this label?


 


Brucia reached out to me back in November of 2020 after I released Relics of Mourning. We got to talking, and we thought it would be cool to re-release it with two remixed tracks from the Demo.


 


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of depressive black and funeral doom metal?


 


It's been pretty good, I'm happy with it. People seem to enjoy the songs which is great.  


 


9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


 


As of right now I've been working on new Varanak material but I don't really have a time frame, I guess when I feel it's all done and ready to be recorded. After that, who knows. With each release I like to take however much time is needed to write the next one. I want to shoot to release a full length in the near future but I've had an idea for another ep before that but it all depends. There’s a couple other projects I’ve neglected to work on recently that need some attention as well. 


 


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? 


 


When it comes to influences, I've always been a fan of stuff like Pink Floyd, which finds its way into my music every once and awhile. It's refreshing. I reckon The Ruins of Beverast, Katharsis, Temple Nightside, and Blood Incantation have all had an influence on me. Also I can't ignore bands like Sabbath or Sleep, which influence the doomier stuff that I write. 


Music I've been listening to nowadays? I think the new Ruins of Beverast is very good. I like the Type O Negative vibe on it. The new Furia album that dropped a few days ago is very cool. It reminds me more of stuff you would find on a newer Swans album but I'm into it. I could sit here forever and talk about what I'm listening and influenced by but that'll take too long.


 


11.What are some of your non musical interests?


I like to workout and I'm pretty good in the kitchen. I like to cook and find new recipes and whatnot. 


 


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


No, I think I that's everything. Enjoy the release and keep your eyes peeled, I've got some more stuff planned for this year. Cheers.





Bandcamp
Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment