Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Likheim Interview

 

Answered by GRETN


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Likheim is a band, or musical project, that has been on my mind for quite some time. After it became obvious that not much would happen with my old band Vargariket back in the early 2000’s I focused most of my energy on running a record label and playing in various bands. However, most of the music I made was on the darker and more aggressive side than the bands I played in and as time went on I had several hours of riffs and half-ready songs gathered across various recording devices. In winter 2021 I was invited to Hrafnheim studio to do a re-recording of an old Vargariket track and that was kind of the spark that once again lit the black flame - I realized that I had spent too much time contemplating and with that Likheim was born.  


2.In May you have an EP coming out, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

I wanted something raw and unpolished but at the same time not compromising on sound quality or melodies. Even though we used modern recording devices, most of the guitars and vocals are one-take recordings because I wanted it to sound more like a live recording than a polished studio release. I think it is the unpolishedness and simplicity that gives it that eerie and atmospheric feeling. It wasn’t really planned, it just ended up sounding that way. When I went into the studio to do the vocals I had no idea how the final result would sound, but I must say I am quite happy with how it ended up sounding.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that the band has explored so far with the music?

Nature, solitude, suicide, inner demons, occultism mixed with a tad of Norse believes, the end of everything… yeah, that probably sums it up. 


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Likheim'?

I had a list of probably twenty band names but as I went through them they were either already taken or simply not unique enough. Likheim is comprised of the two words “Lik” meaning dead body and “heim” which can have multiple meanings such as home, farm, town etc. In my vision of the name, Likheim is a dark, forlorn castle. From the outside it may seem abandoned, but in its endless cellar halls lost souls will forever roam…    


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

It is drawn by Vhan Artworks. I think it fits the lyrical themes perfectly: A lone wanderer gazing upon the unwelcoming, harsh, landscape in front of him. Maybe the mountains will seal his fate? Maybe he came there to end his life? Maybe it is a symbol of inner emptiness? Maybe he watches the final hours of the world, before all is swallowed by the sun and the world shattered to pieces?


I’ll let the listener interpret the art while they listen to the music. 


6.Has the band done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project?

Currently it is only a studio project, but the plan is to gather a live band this fall and start playing some shows next year.  


7.The ep is going to be released on 'Underground Kvlt Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Underground Kvlt Records is a subsidiary label of Odium Records. They are both operated by Shadow from the legendary band Black Altar, but Underground Kvlt is focusing more on less known underground acts from what I understand. 


”Alt Skal Svinne Hen…” is the first release on that label and the second release will be London-based, black metal band, EIHORT and their debut album - "Consuming The Light". 


8.On the ep you brought in session musicians, would you consider this band as being a solo project?

Yes, it is a solo-project but it doesn’t mean that I will do everything myself. I can play the guitar fairly well and I could handle the bass too if I wanted, but it wasn’t what I wanted for this recording. I am more like the creative driving force and I always try to surround myself with musicians that are more talented than me or have talents that I don’t have. It has been a pleasure working with Gamle Erik from Carpathian Forest ( also known from Svarttjern and Aandemaner) on this recording. It was also great working with Umarlak who was able to quickly record the guitars on these songs based on my ideas. 


Riff writing and vocals are my main focus, but I also lay down some guitars here and there.


Now, the plan is to gather a band and start playing some shows. Organizers; feel free to get in touch!



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

We have just started the promotion, but the feedback on the short sound clips and the music video we have spread on social media has been very good so far. Listen to the full title track here and make up your own opinion: https://youtu.be/umxmGYnBn3Q 


10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

The full-length is planned to be released on Dusktone in fall this year. The recording process is already well on its way. But we had some setbacks due to covid as well as drums being seriously delayed so I am not sure if we will be able to get it out this fall or not. With vinyl lead times of nearly a year, things must be planned well in advance these days.


Musically it will not change that much compared to the Mini-CD/EP but the songs are probably better structured and we try to make it just a tad more “polished.” Do not fret, though, this will not become some super polished album - it will still sound raw and unpolished as hell. It will be intense - That I can promise!


Beyond that, I can hardly imagine Likheim taking a drastically different turn musically in the future.



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

On a personal level, my musical inspirations are anything from 50’s rock to modern black metal but one of my all time favorites is Darkthrone’s “Transylvanian Hunger.” To me, that album is the definition of black metal. I am also a huge fan of Blackie Lawless’ vocals. Except for that Darkthrone, Marduk, Tsjuder and early Mayhem are probably the main inspirations for my music; however I wouldn’t say Likheim sound like any of those. I try to soak up inspiration in many different scenarios. When your ears and mind are open, inspiration can come from many strange places.


What I listen to nowadays? Ohhh, that’s a lot. I try to listen to as much new music as I can and I am more into listening to new releases than old ones. I get bored quickly, I guess. Some bands on high rotation: 1914, Svarttjern, Watain, Perkele, Haymaker, Fjøsnisse, Uburen, Cobra Spell, Dark Funeral, Månegarm… Alright, that was just a few and quite an eclectic mix of bands, don’t you think? 


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

First of all, thanks for the interview. We have some merch in the making and if you’ll support us through buying some merch that would be highly appreciated. Once available, you will find links at Likheim.com 

I also strongly encourage supporting the labels and concert arrangers by buying physical products and going to concerts. Covid took a toll on a lot of arrangers and bands and it’s time to help them get back to normal operations.


Follow us on social media to stay updated. All links here: www.likheim.com



No comments:

Post a Comment