Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Clarion Knell Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?



1. Clarion Knell is my only project, and its main goal is simply to make music I would like to listen, as well as offering non-reactionary inputs to my favourite genre of music.


2.You have a new ep coming out towards the end of April, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


2. This EP takes more influences from the recent melting pot of technical death metal and black metal that started with bands like Blut Aus Nord. There are more dissonant riffs, more blast beats, less repetition. Globally less atmospheric. I also changed my way of mixing. It that was very bloated before, because I wanted everything to sound just as I imagined. When I understood it was not reasonable I embraced a more minimalistic approach.


3.You refer to your music as being 'home made black metal', can you tell us a little bit more about this term?


3. This project is really just me at home doing the most possible with my lack of gear and professional expertise. I think it includes less spectacle than well established bands who play liven, surrounded by experienced producers. It's a more introvert kind of music.


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you explore with the newer music and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the last couple of years?


4. This EP is inspired by the Dialectics of Enlightenment by Theodor Adorno and Max Horkheimer. The criticism of the Enlightenment as an all-encompassing, totalizing project, is the starting point of the EP. Then it evolves towards the fear of this system being changed. By virtue of its totalizing aspect, any transformation of this society will feel like a complete takeover of all aspects of life. But the takeover has already happened, we were just born in there. Given the more complex nature of the subject, I for once started the project with lyrics draft rather than music drafts. I think I'll use this approach whenever necessary.


About my progress as a songwriter, I'd say I'm still in very much learning to write songs.


5.Lyrically you have also covered fantasy and witchcraft themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?


5. I always had a sweet-spot for medieval and fantasy aethetics. I wouldn't say I'm very passionate about one fictional universe or another, but I grew up linking it and it felt obvious I would be using this aesthetic for my project. Witchcraft in particular have been something that inspired me for its presence in environmental and feminist movements.




6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Clarion Knell'?



6. A knell the sound of a bell that anounces death, while "clarion" is said of a sound that is clear and bright. It evokes a death sentence that is bright, therefore a revolution. It carries a contradiction within itself, which relfects the philosophy of dialectical materialism. I found it had aesthetic properties and ominosity. I also like the simplicity of this traditional "name + adjective" structure.


7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?


7. This artwork is a collage that have been proposed to me by Xadaa of Syrup Moose! Many thanks to them for helping me on that, I really didn't know what to do for this cover given the abstract nature of the themes, and this incredible artwork perfectly encapsulates the spirit. It is fearsome, dense, epic, and evocative of the lyrics.


8.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo? 


8. Like I said, I am alone in this one. All the guitars, vocals, production and drum programming is done by me with without a studio. I don't think I want to include other musicians in this process. Working with others is something I really enjoy, but to me collaboration is best when garthering around a precise idea, and Clarion Knell doesn't have a precise idea, it's just me doing stuff.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


9. I've had warm and enthusiastic feedback on all my releases, which kept me motivated to continue sharing my music. Like always some people aren't into it, and how can I blame them, I am myself hard to please.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?



10. I see myself growing the discography, seeing people enjoy what I make, basically the same thing as now!


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



11. Like mentionned, I have been very inspired by the numerous bands that take inspiration both from black metal and technical death metal to produce opaque and dissonant music. Other than that I explored and grew fond of bands all accross the genre. Most importantly I keep discovering music in extreme metal and outside of metal.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 



12. I am very excited to work with Syrup Moose, this is the first time I work with a label and it motivates me to make more music.


Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment