Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Phantom Twilight Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


First off, thanks for asking me to do the interview, I greatly appreciate it. As far as Phantom Twilight goes, I’ve never actually played straight Black Metal music before, but I’ve loved it for many years. So last Fall I decided to give it a shot, and here we are. Everything from Venom to Bathory to Darkthrone to Leviathan and everything in between played a part in one form or another during the writing process. 


2.In February you had released your first full length, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


I wanted to try to create my own version of Black Metal inspired by the second wave Black Metal that came out of Scandinavia and the USBM scene that was going on throughout the 90’s and early 2000’s. Some of my favorites are Satyricon, Leviathan, Judas Iscariot, Darkthrone, Limbonic Art, Summoning, None, Weakling, early Dimmu Borgir, and early Cradle of Filth just to name a few. All the previous mentioned bands and many more warped my brain so to speak and the riffs practically wrote themselves. I wasn’t aiming for anything in particular style wise, just something aggressive, haunting, and cold


3.Your lyrics are dedicated to Saturn and Chronis, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these deities?


So basically, I’m interested in the occult, a big surprise I know. I received a book a while back called The Cult of the Black Cube and it was a very interesting take on Saturn, one which I never really thought of before. After reading it and contemplating it these ideas started coming to me and from there I just wrote down and worked out the thoughts to paper. Could it have been some divine intervention so to speak, possibly but who knows. With this project I like to make offerings and allow the deity to speak through me if it wishes to. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. 


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Phantom Twilight'?


The name actually comes from a song by the band Summoning. In the song Long Lost to Where No Pathway Goes, a passage reads “There the twain enfolded, Phantom Twilight, Phantom Twilight.” As soon as I heard that line, I thought that would make a great band name and to my surprise no one had ever used it. I also have a Dungeon Synth project also inspired by Summoning, no shock there either, they’re definitely a huge influence on me. 


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


The artwork was a creation from a friend of mine who goes by the name Rotting Reign for his artwork. I’ve been a huge admirer of his work for some time now and when this project decided to become a real thing, I inquired him for an album cover. He also designed the logo for the project, he’s a very talented individual. He also has bands called Nocturnal Departure and Hellmoon, if the readers would like to hear the musical side of things. 


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


I used to be in various bands about 6 years ago, but I started a more demanding job and the time for an actual band really doesn’t exist for me right now. I’m never opposed to working with other people but as far as making time for band practice and constant live shows, I just don’t have said time right now, so the solo thing works perfectly for me.


7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a  label or have received any interest?


Not really. I actually have contacts through various smaller labels so when I have something ready, I always have options for a physical release. Doing it this way gives you more freedom without being on others time schedules and having to sound a certain way, which aggravates the hell out of me. My main 2 labels I’m currently working with are Jem’s and Matriarch Records. Both owned and operated by fantastic people. 


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


From what little I can find the reception has been fairly positive so far but there wasn’t a lot of promotion going on for the releases so far, mainly my own fault due to lack of social presence till recently. 


9.So you have any experience playing in other bands or working with other musicians?


Oh yes, like I stated before, I used to be in bands years ago but with a day job that pays very well I couldn’t afford to dedicate that kind of time to it. The thing I hate the most about being in bands is the over inflation of egos and constant indecisions from other members. I take music very seriously, but some of my past associates had no real intention of taking it further than playing live shows. Playing live is fun but the magic for me is the creation of the music and recording it. 


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I love many different kinds of music so hopefully I can just keep writing, recording, and releasing as long as I still have ideas coming to me. Sometimes life gets in the way, and you can’t help that, but you just make do with what you have. 


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I listen to a wide variety mostly depending on my mood. For instance, as I’m typing out these answers Dark Medieval Times by Satyricon. I love everything from 80s Goth Rock to Black Metal to 70s Hard Rock, Thrash, Death Metal, Neofolk, Horror Punk, Dungeon Synth, Power Metal, ect, ect. The Gym is usually reserved for Black, Death or 80s Metal. Sitting on my porch at night listening to various wildlife makes a great time for Dungeon Synth or Neofolk. Goth Rock is great for long drives. A recent album I can’t seem to get enough of recently is The Will of the Gods is Great Power by Scald. Every song on that album is fantastic! 


12.Befor e we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 


If anyone wants to keep up with what I’m doing I post updates through my studio’s Instagram page called Ritual Room Studios. There you can find all the bandcamp links, studio updates, as well as other links for purchasing physical copies of whatever gets released. Also, work has begun on the follow up Phantom Twilight album, “Dark Arts and Debauchery.” I’m hoping to have it finished over the next month or so. There are still copies of Eternal Echoes cassettes through the bandcamp page and through Jem’s website. Finally, thanks for the interview and the review of the album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment