Monday, April 17, 2023

Turtumus Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?




-I started this solo project in 2020 with a goal of doing music only to myself. During summer of 2022 I made the riffs for Turtunut Mieli and shortly after that I thought, that I should try to come up with more songs for an album or EP.




2.You have an ep coming out towards the end of April, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?




-The upcoming EP is actually my first real release. This EP differs quite drastically from my earliest demo tracks, since now I have more experience playing all the instruments.




3.Originally you started out playing more black/thrash metal but the newer music is done in more of a raw black metal style, what was the decision behind going into this direction?




-My first demo had more thrash metal influences since at that time I had only been listening to black metal for maybe a year or so. This type of music suits my lyrical content better.




4.Your lyrics cover the Finnish Winter War, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?




-Actually none of these songs cover the Winter War excactly, but Winter War and Continuation War are some of the motives behind this music and are mentioned in two songs. I have always found war topics interesting and there are so many powerful things about warfare that fit perfectly to extreme metal genres.




5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Turtumus'?




-Literal translation of the finnish word turtumus is Numbness. The inspiration behind the name comes from everyday life, everything is always the same and theres nothing new coming.




6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?




-The front cover’s picture is from a long range reconnaissance patrol behind the enemy lines. The soviet soldiers skiing are completely unaware of the finnish soldiers. 




7.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?




-With this project im always going to do the songs, but in the future I will incorporate more ideas, backing vocals, and such from other musicians.




 



8.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?




-I am going to take my time with the next release. Maybe i’ll have something new coming in 2-5 years. Im still looking for my own musical style riffs wise and such.




9.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?




-The influence for my music is quite wide spread but to name a few: Goatmoon, Noenum, Horna, Norrhem. 




I listen to about anything if the music itself is good. Most of the time lyrics doesnt matter at all, what is important for me is the melodies.


During the recording of this album I listened to Goatmoon, Norrhem, HIM, Noenum, Apulanta, Slayer, Peste Noire.




10.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 




-Thank you for this opportunity to do an interview! 

Bandcamp
Instagram
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment