Saturday, April 15, 2023

Machina Baphometa Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


Ave. We are Machina Baphometa, black metal from Slovakia. We were formed in 2014 on the ruins of an old band, I personally have been active on the Slovak black metal scene since 2005. Machina Baphometa's line-up consists of Sakchuras on guitar and vocals, Bes on bass and Azazel on drums. There is no point in describing what we play. Listen to it.



2.So far you have released 2 ep's and a full length, musically hwe do they differ from each other?


2.Yes, of course. I try to incorporate elements into each record that make it unique. We are also moving forward musically and as composers, as well. Each recording reflects its period. But the handwriting is legible and unique.


3.A lot of your lyrics cover occultism, Left Hand Path and thelema themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?


3. Occultism and magical practice form a strong inspiration in my music and an inseparable part of my personality. It is my life journey that has led me to a number of creative acts, one of which is Machina Baphometa. It was never enough for me to believe, I had to know, get to know, touch... Education strengthens the spirit and man becomes more than just an individual whose only pathetic mission is to reproduce... I rejected the conventional pattern of life...


4.On your last release you also have a song dedicated to Wotan, do you have any interest in Germanic Paganism?


4.Yes. I am interested in the pagan history of European but also non-European nations. I must note that paganism means much more to me than just adoring national identity. There is much more wisdom and magical practice hidden in pagan mythology and mysticism than one wouldn't even say at first look. However, ancient man communicated with the gods who walked the earth at that time...



5.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?


5.When creating texts, I do not set ideological or philosophical boundaries. I always write about what I am interested in, what I'm curious about, what I'm experiencing, or what I hate. I write both conceptual and non-conceptual lyrics and ones with or without a plot. My lyrics are such a wide range of topics as magical practice is, invocations, including my anger at the whole mankind itself, mockery of its imperfection, pagan symbolism and paying homage to the greatest magician of all time, A. Crowley, or satyrical distortion of biblical stories to ridicule them...



6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Machina Baphometa'?


6.Machina Baphometa was an electric evocation apparatus constructed by occultists who were fascinated by the discovery of electricity in their time and wanted to take advantage of its potential. It seemed to me an energetic and bizarre name for a band. I used it.


7.Can you tell us a little bit morem about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?


7. The author of the cover is Bes. It depicts a skeleton dressed in priestly robes. It symbolizes the transience of all the titles, which men themselves order to illusory rise in importance. At the heart of everything, only bones remain after us. White and unidentifiable...



8.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?


8. The performances are spontaneous, we use props proportionately to our music. The important thing is that we are genuine in our speech. Gig by gig we move with speech and you can see it in people's reactions. We are no beauty, no circus. Through our music, you peer into the abyss wherever it is. In you or in us...



9.Do you have any touring or show plans for 2023?


9.Offers for gigs come from time to time. In the future, however, I would definitely like to cross the borders of Slovakia when it comes to live performances and tours.


10.On your first elease you also done a 'Root' cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?


10.The decision was spontaneous. We improvised it in the studio. We weren't trying to reshape or change the song. That's probably why it was an unprecedented success, and Big Boss himself bequeathed us praise.    


11.The last 3 releases have vene released on 'Mori Ho! Productions', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?


11.Mor Ho! productions is a local regional underground label and an organizer of events. He has done a lot of work for us and we appreciate him for that.



12.On awrldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


12.The reactions have been positive. We are not a mass affair, we are a band that is sought after by people who adhere to this genre and our style. We are globally known through Ug zines like you and similar in Greece, Germany, South America... CD orders also came from the USA, UK and Australia.


13.Are any of the band members currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?



13.Yes. Bes founded the project Cholera, where I also play the bass guitar and Azazel is the drummer in the legendary bands Infer and Mordum.



14.When can we expect another full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


The new LP Album will be released this year. It will be called Antigenesis. We are still waiting and looking for a CD publisher. Musically, it will be black metal in its raw form as we write it with our handwriting.


15.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an infleunce on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


15.There's a lot to mention. I grew up on bands like Emperor, Immortal, Satyricon. However, I broadened my horizons to include the Polish scene, the French scene and many other including non-metal music. I have only one criterion. It either appeals to me and I like it or I don't.




16.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


16.Thank you for your interest in our music in the USA, stay real and powerful. It will be pleasure to offer more of our albums to all of you.


Facebook
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment