Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Mork Hest Interview


1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Well, for starters, Mørk Hest is a solo Black Metal project that I started working on back in 'I think' early 2017, maybe even as early as late 2016. It began as a simple hobby of songwriting after work and is now transforming into a more serious side project.

2. So far you have released 2 ep's, musically how do they differ from each other?
The first EP, if you could even call it that, was more of an experimentation than a real musical release. The idea behind it was to experiment with a variety of sounds and to see what I could create. There was no clear goal, unlike my second EP, other than to try different things and find my own sound. As to whether I succeeded or not, is up for debate. Unsound Despair, my second EP, had a more direct approach. I knew I wanted to create a Black Metal record that was a bit different in style between each track.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you have explored so far with the music?
One of my songs, Broken, is about loss and suicide. While most of the others deal with other solemn emotions, such as hatred and apathy. My future works will contain similar themes but will also have more of a focus on nature.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Mork Hest'?
Nothing special really, it was a name I conjured long ago when I had barely just become a teenager and had decided that someday I would have a band of my own. I came up with it after doing some simple research into the Norwegian language and had played with different ideas until I finally came up with Mørk Hest, a name based on the comic book publisher Dark Horse Comics.

5. Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?
It was a picture I took a few years ago, in my forest one winter evening. It wasn't until a long while later that I had decided I would use it as cover art for my band.

6. With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?
As of now, I don't wish to work with anyone else, at least in terms of songwriting. Though that may change in the future, as I have thought of having someone playing drums for me.

7. The music project is based in the Ozarks', which part of this area does the musical project is located at?
Won't be too specific but I will say Missouri is where I'm from.

8. The first ep was all instrumental while the newer recording has vocals, what was the decision behind going into this direction?
The plan all along was to have Mørk Hest be a metal project, complete with the traditional set of instruments and with vocals to boot. To me, it would have been a shame to continue on creating all-instrumental work without ever incorporating vocals to guide the listener through, on a musical journey.

9. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
Currently, I am hesitant to sign myself away to a label but I am open to the idea of it.

10. On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?
I've received some criticism, mainly of being too generic and minimalist in terms of production and songwriting. But there's been a lot of positive feedback too. And really, I don't mind the criticism, with most of it being constructive in nature anyways.

11. When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?
I'm aiming for a full-length release around this time next year, and it will be of a similar style as my latest EP. Though I will continue to experiment, the idea being to eventually find my own unique sound, with the tracks intending to still be well varied throughout the record. After that, I'm not sure, only time will tell really.

12. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
What sort of bands influenced me? Well, I'd say bands like Burzum and Xasthur were most influential to me for sure, at least in regards to Black Metal bands. A variety of other musicians outside of extreme metal have influenced me quite a lot too, Death In June is a fine example. Lately, I've been listening to some Leviathan and good ol' fashioned Burzum. Soon though, I'll probably have another 80's rock phase again.

13. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
The only final thing left to say is: To all those reading this, don't forget to take a walk outside and spend time alone in nature. You'd be surprised at how much peace and healing she has to offer.


https://morkhest.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/M%C3%B8rk-Hest-106972681115727/
https://www.instagram.com/morkhestband/

No comments:

Post a Comment