Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Heteriik Interview

 

 For those that have never heard of you before , can you tell us a little bit about the musical project? 1) Personal , visceral inspirations. I let a story come to life that is created over time. The overall picture speaks of the repercussion of mental disorders, of "deviances" on the physical ; disorders induced in particular by societal needs, collective demands unsuitable for the main protagonist of the picture. For A.T.R . we are in the first chapter, in the first table , we are just beginning to explore falls and the unconscious. It is full of false certainties, of real questioning, why not see it as the first steps of an initiatory or therapeutic journey?

 So far you have released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording? 2) Everything is both instinctive and thoughtful . To try to be clearer, at no point in the creation or recording process do I ever stick to anything in terms of musical etiquette. Certain rhythmic and melodic lines were often made by instinct, I knew which music had to transcribe such and such an emotion at such and such a moment. Once it was laid down , even spat out, I could take the time to build around it and explore , experiment with the sounds. And that's what was great with S. Robitaille , who have mixed and mastered A.T.R , to be able to exchange and work on certain parts, certain sounds to get to what you can listen to today. No need or desire for a musical label of departure or arrival . 

What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music? 3) For A.T.R ., I gave you a lot of keys in the first answer. For the next opus, I will take you further in the unconscious exploration , letting the brain or the guts express themselves, whoever needs it on each piece. You will also find themes such as isolation (forced or wanted), internal prison , progressive loss of control . On other projects I have been fortunate enough to work on , I have explored a very wide range of themes, from Saturnalia to the battlefield , with varying degrees of satisfaction . Experiments on the psyche of the individual , climatic alterations, different human disorders are my favorite themes, certainly because the most personally speaking haha.

 What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Heteriik'? 4) Heteriik is a free rewriting of the etheric word. I echo the notion of the etheric body, and I let you rummage through the books if this notion is foreign to you :)

 5) Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover? 5) I was impressed by this photo, what it expresses, what it exudes in emotion and appeal to personal reflection . Everything is impeccable on this one , the light, the colors... And it fits perfectly with the music and the emotions I wanted to convey. This picture and the one on the round cd were made by M.S. and Benoît Mota. The insert is made by Satter, inspired by the theme of the EP and the colors of the cover. I take this opportunity to thank them again by the way. 

With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience working with other musicians, how would you compare the two? 6) Everything, absolutely everything is different. You only confront yourself in the end , and you make yourself evolve , always looking further. I'm a natural to question everything, often . So I think it's an asset to work on solo projects. Group work must be dynamic, you must also know how to make compromises and be flexible , without necessarily crashing either. It's still relational in my opinion , and when you have a dynamic that lasts over time then you already have half of the work done. Both ways of working are very interesting and enriching, on different points. You don't have the same constraints of time , of rendering. Working alone is a challenge too, for the necessary rigor, and it allowed me to learn a lot of new skills and use new materials. But I feel free to create in both ways. 

Currently you are unsigned , are you looking for a label or have received any interest? 7) Yes. At first I didn't even think about it, preferring to focus on the release and some promotion . Then some good , even very good feedback from listeners came to me , and encouraging lyrics that led me to consider looking for a label , to support me in future releases on a different format than the CD. 

On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal? 8) I have some good feedback from France , Europe and Quebec at the moment. It's a good start, especially for a project that was released so recently I think. 

What is going on with your other band 'Verglas Sanglant' these days? 9) For Verglas Sanglant, we are in the promotion phase of our latest EP, "Tempête de Tourments", released last June and on the preparations for the tour in France in February 2021 with our friends from The Negation . Beautiful dates to come , and all the infos will be announced via the Facebook page and the band's website. 

10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the music heading into musically during the future? 10) Soon , within a few months at the latest. As I told you my musical approach is rigorous and sincere , so I'm giving myself every opportunity to perfect the next opus. Which is on the right track , many tracks have already been recorded. The evolution will be the one that the project will bring in the end , with the research to take you very far, too far in the musical journey. We'll see what means it will take , I'm not ruling out any possibility for this project. We come back to the disinterest of musical etiquette , certainly I create a form of Black Metal , but codification is one of the victims of the journey with Heteriik. Codifying, putting in the little boxes, doesn't help you think. Here , I invite you to project yourself into the music, to feel it, to live it. In your own way. 

What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? 11) Very clearly Black Metal , you will also find electro and experimental music in terms of influences. At the moment, in no particular order and without being exhaustive , I'm listening: Pink Floyd Leviathan Wardruna James Carter Shining DHG Deathspell Omega SUNN 0))))) Austere Igorrr Diapsiquir Quantic Charlie Parker Archgoat Behexen IC3PEAK 

Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 12) Thank you for your questions, which I enjoyed answering. Thank you for the support, and see you soon for a new musical step.


Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment