Friday, September 18, 2020

Tenebra Interview

 


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


Well, the project was born at the beginning of 2000, at the time I was a member of several bands, most of them played black metal. Back then It was quite common to have a solo project, you know, all those people trying to be more misanthropic than others, acting like the new “Varg” shit, and I was probably one of them. The only difference between me and many others was that I really liked my music, so I decided to continue and to become more mature both musically and personally. About the music Itself I have nothing to say, I just invite you and all the people reading this interview to listen to “Through Crying Souls I See What I Was…”, my latest work which was re-released by Cult Of Parthenope on 5th September 2020.


2.Can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on your demo's and also how do they differ from each other?


You can listen both old demos on YouTube, you will find many differences between them.


The first one was recorded at home with one of those old multimedia microphones, probably payed less than 10 euro, and mixed with windows sound recorder. As drums I had fruity loop, now you can imagine what a shit it was, but if you listen to that you will find it hard to believe that was recorded that way. Musically I was inspired by the first Norwegian black metal wave. For the second demo I decided to record and play everything by myself, including the drums, and you can hear how bad it is, but I still like that “I don’t give a shit” vibe. It was the period when depressive black metal exploded, so I was of course somehow influenced by it. The latest one was the ep, when I decided to do the things right.


3.There has been no music since 2007, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time frame?


During this period I have been very busy playing with my former band Gort, we recorded 2 albums, many splits, and played many live shows. I left Tenebra aside foor a few years, but now It’s time to start again. It was important for me to re-release the latest ep “Through Crying Souls I See What I Was..” to see what would have been the reactions of black metal fans around and get some motivation to start working on new material..


4.Some of your lyrics cover occult themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?


Not really "Occult themes", I am just fascinated by occultism, but I am not involved in it, if you are thinking about the inverted crosses, It’s more like a symbol of rebellion from life’s frames, as black metal should be.


5.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


Too personal, that’s the reason why they don’t appear in the booklet. 


6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name ;Tenebra'?


In italian Tenebra means darkness, but the meaning of this name is not the darkness itself, rather the darkness humanity has fallen into, giving such an important status to material things. I mean, people are zombies following their stupid shit, they have only shit in their skull, I could have named my band Shit, but that doesn’t have the same charm as Tenebra, but actually the meaning is quite the same!


7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the 2007 demo cover?


Nothing special, I just liked the drawings of a person which was very close to me at the time, the second demo is the same artist.


8.In 2007 you had a full line up but have worked mostly as a solo project, are you open to working with other musicians again during the future?


Actually, I will need it ! I need a real drummer and will probably work with the other guitarist again, he was involved on TCSISWIW and he has a brilliant mind and a wonderful style. At the moment I can’t tell you more, because I don’t know anymore than that.


9.Originally the musical project was located in Italy but now you reside in Sweden, can you tell us a little bit more about the move?


I live in Sweden since 2011, but this move has nothing to do with the music.


10.The ep was re-issued by 'Cult Of Parthenope'.how did you get in contact with this label?


Well I still have contacts in Naples, I saw COP’s wonderful work with their “Cult Of Parthenope Black Metal Fest” in southern Italy and all the concerts and festivals that Giulian organized in UK, so one day I just contacted him, telling something like “hello, i think you should produce me”.


11.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


Too early to say, but all the reviews I have been reading are very positive so far.


12.When can we expect newer music and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future/


Currently I’m setting up a small home recording studio at my place and actually yesterday the first 3 riffs for the future album were born. It will take time though. How do I see myself as a musician? I see myself trying to make evil and dark music between a change of a diaper and feeding my little daughter, that’s the situation now, and that’s why it will take time for the upcoming new album.


13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I listen whatever I like, I don’t give a shit about which genre it is or not. I’m influenced by anything I listen to, I refuse to have limits. Nowadays if you want to talk about metal, I listen mostly to the old classics, because I find most of the new bands very boring.


14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thanks for the interview 


Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment