Sunday, January 24, 2016

Ghost Horizon Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

We're an atmospheric black metal band based in Phoenix, AZ. I'm from Phoenix, and Uraeus is from the northern part of the country. We draw heavily from European black metal influences, so you may be able to hear that in our music.

2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the ep?

If I had to describe the sound of the Astral Possessions, I'd say it's very up and down. It explores the extremes of human emotion, from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows.Very moody, and somewhat cinematic in that regard.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Uraeus explained to me his meaning behind the lyrics, and I found it to be quite profound. All of the songs are very personal to him, but also have that aspect to them that resonates with nearly anyone that listens to it and reads the lyrics. In his own words, it's "The loss of love, the loss of self, and the loss of self-worth. In the end we are all just flesh and thought."

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ghost Horizon'?

The meaning behind the name isn't extremely "deep" or anything, but I wanted the word "Ghost" in it because I thought it sounded cool, and "Horizon" sounded good alongside that, because I often like to think what's beyond the horizon--for me, and for my music.

5.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you chose to remain a duo?

Well, in the beginning, Ghost Horizon had a full lineup and had demos recorded for 5 songs. We even played one show with this lineup, opening for Abigail Williams. After a lot of thought, I decided to go a slightly different route and got Uraeus for vocals and drums because I thought he would be a perfect fit for what I wanted to do. We don't have any plans to expand the lineup or do live performances, but I suppose anything is possible.

6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I'm indifferent on the matter, but if we were approached with an interesting offer I would definitely consider it. I'm always excited at the prospect of more people hearing our creation.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

So far, feedback has been very positive all over the place. Most of the feedback so far has been local musicians, and it's been very positive.

8.Are any of the band members also in any other bands or musical projects these days?

Uraeus has his own project called Spekralaeon that should be taking off very soon, but prior to Ghost Horizon I ended any other projects I was involved with.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

My goal is to get my music into the ears of as many metal fans as possible. Maybe live shows? Uraeus and I will definitely begin working on a full length album very soon. As a matter of fact, we already have some ideas recorded...

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I'd have to say that Agalloch was a huge early influence for me, and almost single-handedly got me into this type of black metal. At that time I was in the Chicago-based band, Empyreus, and those guys got me into lots of different bands. After that everything Neige-related caught my eye (Alcest, Lantlos, Amesoeurs, etc) and really got me interested in writing songs similar in style.

11.Does Occultism play any role in your music?

Yes and no. I'd say it's a more of a background influence that helps with the creative aspect of the music writing process, but it isn't so apparent in our lyrical themes.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Dark movies, documentaries, hiking, MTG, and beer!

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

We hope that you enjoy Astral Possessions as much as we enjoyed creating it!

Bandcamp
Facebook
ReverbNation
SoundCloud
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment