Thursday, January 21, 2016

Nott Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?


Greetings to Occult Black Metal 'Zine.

At the moment I'm working to new songs, my idea is to compose 4 songs and to record a mini album or a split album: I want to try and test on the medium length a different approach to the guitar arrangements, stripping down to the basics, using only a guitar and a bass to create the spinal chord of the future Nott sound, back to the roots of primitive black metal.


2.In December you had released a new album,how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?


The new album consists in nine songs of pure old school black metal: I think that your review describes it very well. The main differences between the works of the past and the newest album are related to the improvement of my writing, instruments playing and vocal skills: Nott musical direction was really clear at the very beginning and it's the same today, after 14 years.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the newer music?


It's quite simple: Nott is at Death's service since the beginning. All the lyrics are related to Death, all the different themes flow into the big river of Death, for example religion...what are religions, if not the human answers to the inevitability of Death?


4.From the years of 2004 till 2013 there was no music being released, can you tell us a little bit more about what was going on during that time span?


Sure. After the release of a demo in 2003 “The Fall of the Succumbings” and the year after the “Trilogy of Death” EP, I was ready to record the full album in 2006, with nine new tracks. At that time I was searching a drummer, because I was not able to play drums and I was not satisfied with the drum machine sound: this research failed and time passed. Then in 2008 I founded, with Noctuaria, the band Nebrus, and focused on it with all my energies: in 2010 I started to play drums and later, in 2013 I felt the need to give a continuation to Nott, in two weeks I composed the album “The Grave Age” (with nine new songs, not the same of the “aborted” 2006 album) and soon recorded it, releasing it thorugh my small label Obscurus Records.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nott'?


Basically it means Night, it's a word used in the slang of my city (instead the italian Notte) and at the same time is the name of a Night Goddess in the Norse mithology. Night for me is special because human perception and human mind changes compared to the day. The Night is the perfect time for the music, the human feelings are much more acute and receptive.


6.At one time the project was a duo but is now a solo project, are you open to working with any other musicians again in the future?


Well, Nott was never a duo, it was born as a one man project and will die with only me: in the past I had some friends as guests in my recordings, and maybe so it'll be in the future. In the “Trilogy” EP the bass was played by my friend Necropathologist, in “The Grave Age” Nebrus singer Noctuaria did some backing vocals while in the newest album I have four special guests: three singers that composed the lyrics and sang the whole respective song (namely Noctuaria from Nebrus, Akerbeltz from Korgull the Exterminator or and Necro Krieg from Hexenfaust) and a bass player who played three bass tracks (namely Dave from Entirety).


7.The new album was released on Razed Soul productions, are you happy with the support they have given you so far?


I'm really satisfied of their support: a professional, reliable, well rooted in the underground and brave label. My advice for the readers is to check out the bands of its rooster, they deserve attention.


8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?


I apologise but I can't answer to this question: Occult Black Metal 'Zine is at the moment the first and the only review of Nott last album.


9.What is going on with your other musical projects these days?


My main musical project is Nebrus, an obscure black death metal band featuring me on the instruments and Noctuaria on vocals: we are recording our second album and I think it'll be the darker, heavier and more extreme music I have ever recorded and composed. I think that while Nott has a traditional black metal sound, Nebrus is more complex, experimental and of course bearer of personal way to express the extreme music.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?


I think I'll keep going on with my path, basically composing and playing the music that satisfies myself 'till my last breath.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


Regarding Nott, of course the first wave of norwegian black metal, expecially Darkthrone.

Today I think that the best bands that plays old school black metal with their own personality are Clandestine Blaze, Craft, Avsky.

Actually my fave metal subgenre is the ritual black death metal, with bands like Portal, Irkallian Oracle, Grave Miasma, Mefitic, Aevangelist, Malthusian, Abyssal, Grave Upheaval and Impetuous Ritual.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thanks for the review and interview.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Homepage
Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment