Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Wargrinder Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?
I released a split cd with Americans Iconoclast Contra called Advancing Into Ceaseless Victory in December of '14, then a split 7" vinyl with Greeks Hate Manifeto and now I'm releasing the second full length album in spring on this year, titled 'In Suicidal Triumph'. It will come out on tape first via Wohrt Records and on CD via Nykta Records. Next month I'm entering the studio to record the 3rd full length album which is scheduled for eraly '17.

2.Recently you where a part of a split with hate Manifesto, how would you describe the musical sound of the newer material and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
Well actually the track from that 7" split will be included in the 2nd full length album. Believe it or not, the tracks for 'In Suicidal Triumph' are older than the tracks that I used for the split with Iconoclast Contra, but since I always know what I'm releasing next all the tracks from that period match sonically so I didn't want to take tracks from the 2nd full album.  In Suicidal Triumph was composed in December of '11. Storming Armored Wolves was composed early '13. As for the sound, I think that my material always stays on the blackened death metal path. Or simply put, extreme metal. It needs to be furious. And if its slow it will be fucking heavy.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your newer music?
Same as always. War. It doesn't get any more realistic. Where mankind shows its true colors. I study it. I read old reports from the front. And of course anti-human mentality as well. Always has been like that. Also self preservation and perception of my mind as my own universe. We must need nothing to hold on to. Just like men created God(s), sin and forgiveness,  I believe only in the Self. Nobody can tell me how to think, nobody can judge my actions even if they believe that they are better than me in their own opinion. I create my own path and only I can decide wether an action was flawed, a mistake. Depending on what I want. And I'm a very demanding person. Everything I do I strive to do it better. Everything not just things that I like. Then it's just utopia. And I'm not a lazy delusional piece of shit I can promise you that.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Wargrinder'?
I needed something that describes the music perfectly. Another name in mind was War Machine, then I got The Doom Messiah from Warhammer and was hooked immediately. Remorseless Wargrinder is my fav track from that band, and the word described exactly what I wanted to do musically.


5.Originally the musical project was from Greece and according to the Metal Archives page is now located in Iceland, what was the decision behind the move?
It was not music motivated I can assure you. Just needed a change of pace. Wargrinder is my personal project, I do everything in there, therefore where I go, Wargrinder goes.


6.At one time you also had a different guitarist and drummer but now work solo, are you open to bringing other musicians into this musical project again in the future?
Yeah but only for live shows. For studio work I'm the only one that can execute the Wargrinder material properly. I have a plan in my head on how my material should sound. Even in the 3 early demos I had full control of the sound and outcome. Although the other 2 members contributed in the 2 first demos with a few riffs.


7.According to one interview, you talked about in interest in Greek philosophers, can you tell us a little bit more about it and also do you have an interest in the mythology that comes from your home country?
Mythology to me was always something like a sci-fi film. Nothing but imagination. I'm an absolute realist. Yes there are many of them that have sculpted my thought process until today. My all time favorite is Plato
his books literally changed me forever. Others are : Heraclitus, Socrates, Aristotelis and a few more. But its others like : Nietzsche, Machiavelli, and lately I am been inspired by General John Brown Gordon. Superior
men with absolute focus.

8.In the last couple of years you have been a part of splits with both 'Iconoclast Contra' and 'Hate Manifesto', what are your thoughts on the other bands that had participated on those recordings?
I like and support both bands in every chance I get. Iconoclast got my attention through their debut Combat is the Voice of the Heathen which blew me away. Trully a unique sound with pure barbaric black metal. Very violent just the way I like it. Straight to the point aggression. And Hate Manifesto are very old friends (18 years) whom I actually jammed with in their early days when they were still named  Carpathian Lords. Another unique band with a very similar lyrical concept as mine, totally underground mentality and very vicious material.

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your newer music by fans of war, black and death metal?
It has been very good, I always had a fanbase in Greece, Italy and Germany but the U.S. has really embraced the band since I released the debut The Seal of Genocide. And it trully exloded after Advancing Into Ceaseless Victory. And to no surprise since my main influences as a songwriter, even as a drummer were always from American bands and artists.

10.Over the years you have played drums for plenty of different bands, do you feel working with all those different musicians has had made you a more focused musician over the years?
Yeah man for sure. Working with literally dozens of different people makes you create a very professional mentality and off course stronger focus. Drummers are the structure. Bad drummer, bad band.
Even if the riffs are good.


11.Are you currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?
Yes I'm going to record the debut full length album for Hate Manifesto this year. I always get offers for studio work. A lot of it is from, yeah you guessed it, the States...Some Greek bands have asked me to drum for them as well but its not easy to organize it living up here.

12.When can we expect another full length album and also where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?
Well the 2nd full length In Suicidal Triumph is coming out in spring this year and for early next year I will have the 3rd full length ready to go. I've switched to a 7 string guitar so the 3rd full length will be a very heavy and fast surprise. No changes in direction. Wargrinder destroys with speed and brutality. Death metal the way the true and brutal bands have demonstrated with some black metal injections. In all seriousness I think that the 2nd full length is by far the best thing I've done as a composer and for sure as a drummer. It's too fucking fast. The riffs are a whirlwind of extreme metal madness. There is not ONE fucking riff in there that is a 'filler' or boring. I can't wait for this thing to come out.

13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Angelcorse, Order from Chaos, Disciples of Mockery, Incantation, Krisiun, Abhorrence and some Marduk is in there somewhere. Old Kreator too. OLD, not  the new stuff. Pre 90s. As for stuff I listen to these days, all the bands mentioned above, Disgorge, Hate Manifesto, Caveman Cult, Exequy (destructive material), Perdition Temple, Amputator, Blasherian, Iconoclast Contra, Dark Fury, Deiphago, Besatt, Swamp, Vomikaust, Seraphic Disgust, Wargoat, Deyteronomy, Infernal Execrator, and so many more its endless really..




14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you for the interview. Support the underground and the effort we put into our work, always seek, trade and purchase new merch. Expect nothing but pure extreme metal hatred from Wargrinder in the future.
Live proud and to the fullest so when you're dying you'll die a warrior not a fucking coward. Achieve or die trying. In Suicidal Triumph..

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment