Friday, May 13, 2022

Corax B.M Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


    *Yes of course. We are an old school black metal band from Greece starting up as a solo project of mine in June 2021. As a musician I am a Vocalist and a bassist but I always wanted to play guitar. So I grab one and the story begins with me writing the 2 first songs "Bewitched" Thy Faithful servant " and I invite my friend Morker to write the drums.


2.You have a new ep coming out this month, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

*Our musical style starts with the primal Scandinavian dark sounds with punk H/C hard riffs and of course, the Melodic lines meet our Greek BlackMetal roots.




3.A lot of your lyrics cover Occultism themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?

* As a man, I consider myself an Atheist and I never wanted to write something about religion in our songs. As an artist I find myself feeling better on the "dark side" and I consider Black Metal not only as music but as ART too. Occultism hides something that is interesting to discover and to feel free to communicate with your soul and your music. Black Metal gives you the freedom to find out your Darkest feelings and the metaphors of Occultism are coming to fulfil this need...




4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Corax'/


 

*Corax is the Greek word for the Crow. It is my stage name and the Bands Name with the B.M (it stands for Black Metal) I always admire the Crows for their intelligence and of Course their beautiful black Feathers and their Pride postures. Most of the world always hates and is scared of this bird but for me they are honorable representatives of darkness itself. After all darkness flies high!!!! 

 

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

First of all I must thank the Artist who made the cover Mr Kiriakos Balanos for the incredible job. In this cover I see all what I love... Crows, black tower, fog and of course the weird human figure that represents "Aniliagos" (Greek for Sunless) the Shepperd of Darkness who with his stand position gives the call to unleash darkness. 



6.The band started pout as a solo project, what was the decision behind expanding into a full line up?

As I said above the band started as a solo project of mine and the drummer Morker . After the 2 songs that we wrote together and with the help of my wife Ennea (whisper Vocals) I felt the need to make this project a live band. 2 good friends of mine join this cause "Peisithanatos"(bass)and Mike Darlis (guitar)and we write 2 more songs Aniliagos and Paraora together.  Mike Darlis is not any longer a member of the band but he is still a friend and we wish him the best. The band members are me "Corax" on guitars and Vocals "Morker" (drums) and Peisithanatos (bass) Ennea is a special member on whisper and weird Vocals. Recently we have played our first gig and the first impressions were very good.

 


7.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

As I said recently we have played our first gig. First time for me as a lead and rhythm guitarist and Vocals together but the strength of my rhythm session (bass and drums) was there for me fulfilled with the romantic essence of Ennea and the gig was a blast!! We are normal people and we wear normal black clothes on stage.We like to be ourselves and not to act like something we are not. The artist must be real. Of course, we headbang, we are metalheads!





8.On the ep you also had a guest appearance from 'The Magus', can you tell us a little bit more about his contribution to the recording?


I send him the song and I tell to him that I wanted to have a guest appearance in Vocals He liked the song and he said yes. That was one of my best days in music. Imagine that. A legend that "The Magus" is, to honour a new band like us. I will never forget this honour "till the light take me". As a Necromantia fan that was for me and of course for all band members a huge honour and he gave us the strength to move on. The Magus is a legend in the Black Metal scene worldwide and an amazing person to speak and cooperate with.  Eternal thanks.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

Our E.P will be out this month So I can't answer for worldwide now. Many people in Greece have heard a little bit of our songs, most of them friends and members of bands and the vibe was positive. I keep a low profile as a person and as a musician and I don't like to say big words. I don't know honestly what to expect. But all I know is that we all do our best to honour our influences with open heart and mind. The fans of Black Metal will have the answer very soon and we are looking forward to it.  


10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

As we speak me and Peisithanatos are in a pre/production mind-blowing about the new riffs of new songs. Musically we will remain old school but you will hear in the new songs a lot of post and depressive lead parts played in 2 VI guitar/basses that will give a lot of atmosphere and punch.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Our main influences are Necromantia,Rotting Christ,Yothiria,Varathron,SepticFlesh, Kawir ,Aherusia from Greece And Darkthrone,Mayhem,Behemoth,Emperor and the list never ends... Nowadays I listen to a band from Australia called Belakor and of course I have a "thing" with Darkthrone and the "eternal hails' album. As also a huge fan of GothicMetal and Paradise Lost I have a lot of influence there starting with PL and ending with Madrugada. Peisithanatos likes the underground scene of BM and he knows a lot of bands of DBM and Post.  Morker as the youngest of the band has his "thing" with Behemoth and he also likes Metalcore music. Ennea is a huge fan of Metallica and she likes a lot jazz music and of course Gothic Metal. 


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?  

Stop the War And I hope good health and strength to all. We want to thank PAGAN RECORDS for the opportunity to realise our first E.P We feel honoured about this  Thank you very much for this interview

On the behalf of 

Corax B.M

Kostas "Corax"Katoikos 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/corax-bm
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/coraxbm/

No comments:

Post a Comment