Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Mordran Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


Mordran is a musical act that blends a core of atmospheric black metal with dark ambient and folk. When I compose music for Mordran, my main goal is to create atmospheres and soundscapes, which means that melody and musicality are often sacrificed in favour of drawn-out, repetitive patterns that aim to put the listener in an evocative state of mind. Oftentimes, the melody has to be discovered in the wall of sound, rather than being upfront. As a result, the sound of Mordran is quite abstract and dreamy. The production aims to add to it, too, with a focus on texture and atmosphere instead of clarity. In general terms, I guess you could say that Mordran is what happens when you take the very dark, almost ugly, characteristics of raw black metal and try to craft something beautiful with them. It’s a powerful contrast.



2.So far you have released 2 ep,s, musically how do they both different from each other?


Forbidden Knowledge was more direct in the sense that the songs were shorter and a bit less atmospheric, and it featured a much more intertwined mix of black metal and folk. In Tellurian Sorrow, the dark ambient elements are a lot more present instead, to the point that the second half of the record consists of purely dark ambient.



3.Your lyrics cover Occultism,  Paganism,  Witchcraft,  Existentialism and Nature, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?


While I’m an atheist, I believe that occultism and paganism are great thematic vehicles when you want to discuss subjects like existentialism. Gods, witches, ghosts, spirits… Our ancestors created them to explain a world that they didn’t have the tools to understand. They are direct representations of human emotions such as fear, uncertainty, and awe in the face of the unknown, so I think it makes perfect sense to use them as vessels to explore those emotions in music. When it comes to witchcraft in particular, I used it as the central theme for Forbidden Knowledge because it’s one of the forms of paganism that I’ve been in closest contact to. While I’m currently based in Sweden, I was born and raised in Galicia, in northwestern Spain, where many ‘meigas’ (witches) were burnt at the stake in the middle ages. Some of their rituals are still present in Galician culture, such as the traditions of drinking ‘queimada’ (an alcoholic beverage that is prepared while reciting a spell) and jumping over bonfires, both very common things to do on midsummer’s eve. Finally, nature, while it is more of a subtheme when it comes to the lyrics, is actually crucial for Mordran, since taking walks through the woods here in Sweden is my main source of inspiration for writing music.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Mordran'?


Mordran is the name of a pagan goddess that tends to the bodies of people who get lost and meet their ends in the woods. She is worshipped by witches and travellers alike. The former seek power and secret knowledge, the latter seek guidance and protection.



5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?


So far, all the artwork for Mordran has been pictures taken in the Swedish woods. The cover for Tellurian Knowledge is closely related to the first track of the record, which is about the human longing to leave Earth and explore the universe beyond, but also about emotional evasion, depersonalisation, and derealisation. I think a tree reaching toward the sun with its branches is a good metaphor for all that.



6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solos?


While I have worked with other artists in the past and I’m open to the possibility of doing it again in the future, perhaps even for Mordran, I do generally prefer to work solo. I tend to come up with very specific and personal concepts and I find that the best, most direct way of turning them into music is to do it alone. I don’t mind the extra work as long as the end result is as close as possible to the ideas in my head.



7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


I have talked with a couple of labels, but at the moment Mordran remains fully independent. If the opportunity arose to work with a label that fits Mordran, then I would definitely be open to it.



8.Do you also have any experience working with other bands or musical projects?


I've had a few other projects in the past, yeah. Some people might be familiar with Alor, which was one of my first musical acts and had its first (and only) album released by Northern Silence Productions in 2014. At the time, I also used to record black metal under a couple of different names. Nowadays, I hate most of the stuff I was making back then and I can barely listen to it, but I guess those projects taught me some important lessons about music and production. The only other musical act I currently maintain is Static Storm, which is mostly instrumental post-rock/electronic music.



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


Most of the feedback I've gotten has been positive, which is very encouraging. When I make music, I always have the hope that other people will be able to relate to it and to the feelings portrayed within it, so every comment and every email of support that Mordran is great to read.



10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


Honestly, I don’t know because that isn’t really something that I think about when I’m working on a new album. I tend to make music in short bursts of inspiration, which often result in shorter records. Being a one-person project, that type of work is also easier to tackle within a reasonable timeframe without sacrificing any quality. That being said, I would consider Tellurian Sorrow a full-length record since it runs for a bit over 40 minutes, but I’m not really concerned with the terminology. I work on each album until it feels like a coherent unit that I’m satisfied with, and I don’t pay all that much attention to the length.



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I mostly listen to classical music, black metal, rock, and folk, and all of those have an influence on Mordran in one way or another. When it comes to bands, the biggest influences are probably stuff like Ulver, Burzum, Agalloch, Lantlôs, Xasthur, Coldworld, Musk Ox… I also greatly enjoy other artists like Chelsea Wolfe, Emma Ruth Rundle, Black Sabbath, or Radiohead.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


I would like to make it clear that Mordran is vehemently against racism, transphobia, homophobia, sexism, and any sort of bigotry in the black metal scene (and anywhere else). Beyond that, I would like to thank you for the work you do and all the people who listen to Mordran for giving it a reason to exist. Feel free to follow the band on Bandcamp to stay updated. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment